Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   V70: Test Failure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293106)

Bobbles Mar 21st, 2019 20:52

Test Failure

Came back from the local DVSA Test Centre today with a resounding fail on our 2000 V70 Classic, just shy of 220,000 miles on the clock.
Lots of issues, Power Steering (leaking pump and a ? over the rack); Brake hoses; Suspension Arm Ball Joints, front, both sides; Rear discs and pads, wear and corrosion; Service brake efficiency; O/S doors don’t unlock on remote (drivers door does on key, rear passenger door unlocks by lifting button); add in a little welding and a leaking radiator and I question whether it’s worth the repairs as the likely cost of parts and labour is going to more than the value of the car.
Or is it?
Is it worth repairing it? What do we all think?

Clan Mar 21st, 2019 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbles (Post 2506550)
Came back from the local DVSA Test Centre today with a resounding fail on our 2000 V70 Classic, just shy of 220,000 miles on the clock.
Lots of issues, Power Steering (leaking pump and a ? over the rack); Brake hoses; Suspension Arm Ball Joints, front, both sides; Rear discs and pads, wear and corrosion; Service brake efficiency; O/S doors don’t unlock on remote (drivers door does on key, rear passenger door unlocks by lifting button); add in a little welding and a leaking radiator and I question whether it’s worth the repairs as the likely cost of parts and labour is going to more than the value of the car.
Or is it?

It's always cheaper than buying another volvo unless you find a perfect one for £500 . It sounds like it hasn't had any maintenance for years though ...

Luxobarge Mar 21st, 2019 21:49

^^^WHS^^^

All of that sounds like fairly routine stuff, mostly quite easy, main thing is an investment in time, then you've got a spot-on car again. You can spend several times what your current car is worth and still end up with a shed that has just as many problems, they really don't make 'em like that any more!

SwedishBus Mar 21st, 2019 22:32

^^^AS THEY BOTH SAID^^^

All the above are routine items on any car, and you would expect to be servicing these things out on any make & model.

However, I don't think you will find a car as well built, or as usable as a Ph.1 V70, unless you go out and find another one just like it.

The parts are not the most expensive out there in the field today, not by the standards of some very modern and inferior Euroboxes, and most indi garages have a soft-spot for this model of Volvo (actually, most like most Volvo's, they are a treat to work-on most of the time), so the labour costs need not be prohibitive.

If I were you, I would take the plunge and get the brakes serviced and A1 all round the car, and get those suspension joints changed-out, then worry about the finer points after the MoT. A minor leak on the coolant ( a weep, not a downpour ) and remote operation of the door-locks are not important for the MoT.

What was the welding that was required? An unusual failure there......

volvo again Mar 22nd, 2019 08:31

Repair it and keep it on the road, afterwards be more careful with servicing...leaking p/steering, service brakes / pads & discs / hoses & suspension ball joints would have been noticed if it's serviced properly, they could have been repaired / replaced then, and you wouldn't be faced with a failure now...

Just my humble opinion as someone who crawls round his cars on a regular basis...

amazondean Mar 22nd, 2019 13:09

Well, i'm not sure it's worth it. I know we want these cars to remain on the road, but I have just bought a 1998 v70 diesel for £400 with 9 months mot and in pretty good original order. Full history and a recent cam belt change.

The owner got over excited about a near non existent oil leak! There are bargains out there.

DSK Mar 26th, 2019 17:52

IF, the rest of the car is healthy and reliable and you know it will provide many miles of service ahead without headache, then yes, its worth repairing.

Suspension and brakes - all routine, they wear, expect to change them.

Radiators can be sourced new from around £80 - £300 depending on the brand/quality you want. Again, they fail over time/age so expect to replace it.

Welding - again not a big job but, I'd be wanting to know why it needs welding and how bad the existing issue is.

The locks shouldn't impact the MOT and that's something can be done over time.

So all in all, just sounds like there are a few issues as a result of not staying on top of maintenance but, they are straight forward.

byootox Mar 26th, 2019 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbles (Post 2506550)
Or is it?

I'm curious as to what parts need welding ??
Is it the cross member at the rear above the axle by any chance ?