Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   V40: Alarm problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275129)

yusaf1 Nov 18th, 2017 19:51

Alarm problem

I have an annoying problem in that the car alarm sounds, hazzards flash etc for no apparent reason and the red light on the dash flashes very fast and stays on flashing very fast after I have turned the alarm off with the buttton. The only way it seems to get reset is with the ignition turned on and then it resets itself.

Does anyone have a solution for this or have any idea as to what could be the cause?

Thanks

ilikewatch Nov 18th, 2017 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by yusaf1 (Post 2339162)
I have an annoying problem in that the car alarm sounds, hazzards flash etc for no apparent reason and the red light on the dash flashes very fast and stays on flashing very fast after I have turned the alarm off with the buttton. The only way it seems to get reset is with the ignition turned on and then it resets itself.

Does anyone have a solution for this or have any idea as to what could be the cause?

Thanks

I'd check and clean the bonnet microswitch first - that often seems to be at the root of alarm misbehaviour.

m0eeb Nov 21st, 2017 08:28

Alarm problem

Just switch it off.
During the summer months that's what I do as its very sensitive so a fly or spider will set it off.

yusaf1 Nov 21st, 2017 21:27

So how would I go about doing that then?

canis Nov 21st, 2017 22:26

Anything electrical in the car switching itself on periodically? Sat nav, cameras, etc? A sudden drop in voltage can trip the alarm.

yusaf1 Nov 23rd, 2017 19:08

You might have hit on something there canis...I noticed that the metal sleeve in the cigarette lighter was loose from use with the phone adapter so may have been causing the problem, can only check during the day as I don't need it going on in the middle of the night!

m0eeb Nov 24th, 2017 16:34

Alarm problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0eeb (Post 2339922)
Just switch it off.
During the summer months that's what I do as its very sensitive so a fly or spider will set it off.

There's an on/off switch on the dash.

bobthecabbage Nov 24th, 2017 17:02

The fast flashing led is an error signal I think.

The most common problem is failure of the siren battery.

What I do is lock it with the key as this doesn't arm the alarm. It is not ideal but easier than removing the alarm siren and finding/making a new battery.

yusaf1 Nov 25th, 2017 17:03

The button on the dash is a temporary disconnection of sensors, not a solution button! I have been using the key to lock and it seems to be ok so think the cigarette lighter was at fault as it was loose.

canis Nov 26th, 2017 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0eeb (Post 2339922)
Just switch it off.

Wish mine had one of those. :(