Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What does you 700/900 mean to you? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=155468)

Ralphead Jun 14th, 2012 00:51

What does you 700/900 mean to you?

I'm presently on my third day in a row ill off work and my sleep pattern's all over the place so I thought I'd start a thread a little different to my usual pleas for help.

As per the title, what does your 700/900 mean to you, or rather, what role does it play in your transport world?

I just thought it would be interesting to see how many owners on here own their Volvo(s) for practical reasons or just for the love of them. Whether they're an everyday car or something tidy for the weekend ect.

Please excuse my inexperience setting up a poll, rambling, bad grammar ect. as I've been taking tramadol.

Ralphead Jun 14th, 2012 01:10

Please feel free to elaborate, in fact that'd be as useful than the poll results.

This is my first poll so please set me straight if I've made mistakes.

Ralphead Jun 14th, 2012 01:21

I've voted option two myself. But it's not that clear cut, hence my invite for more detail. Only two of the cars in my signature are roadworthy, The 940 and the VW. The others are projects.

In fact we bought the Volvo for my wife's business but various forces have conspired to make it my daily. I grew up with my parents running Volvo's and so have a soft spot for them. Officially the 940 was bought mainly for space and safety but what appealed to me was rwd and a turbo..

Steve940estate Jun 14th, 2012 10:23

It means I don't have to walk !:tongwink:

doingitsideways Jun 14th, 2012 10:39

My 960 is my workhorse, especially now it's D24 powered... I love it!!

Had loads of Volvo's over the years, currently also have an S80 T6 and a 480, love them all :D

Steve :thumbs_up:

bobf192 Jun 14th, 2012 11:07

This 940 is our 6th or 7th brick Volvo dating back to a 145 in 1977, really wish I didn't sell that one! I have only once paid more than £1500. We use it for everything, loads of logs, visiting the dump, transporting furniture and building materials, back and fore to Brittany with loads that vary from us plus some tools to a set of stairs on the roof, a huge log burner and more packs of floor tiles than were good for it! I find it hard to afford the petrol but I really don't like driving anything else.
Cheers
Bob
PS Nearly forgot the grandchildren, 7 seats come in handy again after they sat in the garage for a few years between kids leaving home and their offspring arriving.

tim030654 Jun 14th, 2012 12:44

I drive the 1989 243,000 mile 740 Estate and my wife drives a 1998 252,000 mile VW Golf. The Volvo is used daily for commuting to work, business trips, social domestic and pleasure, transporting the extended family around and taking garden waste to the tip!

Ednamillion Jun 14th, 2012 13:51

Bought the 740 for it's space. Unfortunately haven't put it through it's paces in that sense as much as I'd hope to but do really like the car. Love the relative simplicity of it, the out-of-fashion squareness of it. You can see it turning some heads it's such an usual beast around here.

My ownership list reads..

Micra
Golf GTi
Punto Sporting
Saab 900
Galant V6
Audi S6
E300 Diesel Estate
e34 520i Touring
Volvo 740 Turbo estate

...so can't promise I'll be sticking to the Volvo long term. Despite the mpg and motor tax, enjoying it very much though.

rogerthechorister Jun 14th, 2012 15:19

I think what I like best is - - -

The look of surprise on the faces of others when any of my 3 pick up their skirts and step off HARD!

barkster1971 Jun 14th, 2012 20:11

endless

The ability to carry what I want, safety, comfort, little rust, ability to cover 350miles at 75mph and not feel crippled when I exit the car. The fun in doubling it's bhp without massive outlay?