Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 D4 2.0D 6spd Auto 2010 Drive Shaft Question (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291995)

Lozhedgehog Feb 20th, 2019 09:33

S40 D4 2.0D 6spd Auto 2010 Drive Shaft Question

Hi there guys,

I've spent ages searching the forum and the web but can't seem to find the same answer anywhere!

Quickly my S40 D4 R-design 2010 2.0 177bhp 6spd Auto has been vibrating / shaking on acceleration above 50mph. I read it could be the drive shaft. Took to garage and they agreed but quoted me over a grand to do both sides.

I have a feeling it's the passenger / N/S that's causing the vibration.

I've decided to have a shot and change it myself, but without taking out the original first and measuring it, I can't seem to find the correct one as they all seem different lengths. I'm quite mechanically minded (mostly on our VW t25 camper!) so I guess once I get the correct part I'll be fine replacing it.

So if anyone can help with dimensions required for the N/S Auto box shaft it would be much appreciated. Also if anyone knows where I can get one (I've tried local scrappies but none have any Auto or even diesel cars in!)

Thanks in advance,

Loz

Bloders2 Feb 21st, 2019 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozhedgehog (Post 2497337)
Hi there guys,

I've spent ages searching the forum and the web but can't seem to find the same answer anywhere!

Quickly my S40 D4 R-design 2010 2.0 177bhp 6spd Auto has been vibrating / shaking on acceleration above 50mph. I read it could be the drive shaft. Took to garage and they agreed but quoted me over a grand to do both sides.

I have a feeling it's the passenger / N/S that's causing the vibration.

I've decided to have a shot and change it myself, but without taking out the original first and measuring it, I can't seem to find the correct one as they all seem different lengths. I'm quite mechanically minded (mostly on our VW t25 camper!) so I guess once I get the correct part I'll be fine replacing it.

So if anyone can help with dimensions required for the N/S Auto box shaft it would be much appreciated. Also if anyone knows where I can get one (I've tried local scrappies but none have any Auto or even diesel cars in!)

Thanks in advance,

Loz

my guess it would be the O/S shaft (the long one) but thats just a guess
When i needed a pair for my 1.6 i ended up getting one from Germany (eBay)

Petey80 Feb 22nd, 2019 21:04

I've got a split CV boot on my drivers side shaft, so too have been looking into drive shafts.

They seem to be a bit of a pain to get hold of.

If you want to PM me your VIN number I could use Vida for you and get the part number for each shaft? Might help locate one.

So far, for drive shafts, I've found;

An SKF one, which is now out of stock
J&R CV Joints/Driveshafts whom have iffy reviews
Unbranded or re-manufactured ones on e-bay
Driveshafts UK whom have good reviews and are supplied with ODM? drive shafts.