Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 Top Engine Mount Replacement (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=101439)

dd1898 Jul 31st, 2010 16:57

XC90 Top Engine Mount Replacement

6 Attachment(s)
First thread on here so please go easy.
I replaced the top engine mount on my XC90 today and thought I would post the procedure.

Remove the engine cover.
Remove the through bolt on the mount (15mm socket for bolt head and 18mm socket for nut).
Attachment 24437

Remove the right hand side restraint as it makes it easier to remove the mount (17mm socket for the bolt head and 18mm socket for the nut) and swing it towards the front of the engine compartment (not too much as it is still restrained on the left hand side).
Attachment 24438

Remove 3 off studs (14mm socket) and 2 off studs (10mm socket) from the mount and lift the aluminium block out.
Attachment 24439
Attachment 24440

Here are the two mounts side by side. Hopefully the new one is a little bit sturdier.
Attachment 24441

Reverse the procedure when fitting the new block, the Volvo mechanic said that the studs holding the block down should be set to 50 Nm (36.8 ft/lbs).

Here is the new block in position.
Attachment 24442

Took no more than 30 mins to do.
The new mount cost £55 and the part number for mine is 30776354 (Engine Anchorage).

Hope this helps some of you who are unsure about tackling the basic jobs on your car.

RoyMacDonald Jul 31st, 2010 23:59

How old is that engine mount? I thought they'd all have been replaced by now. Thanks for the photos.

dd1898 Aug 14th, 2010 19:19

Sorry for the late reply, I went on holiday the next day.
The mount is the original one (2004), the rest appear ok so have left them.

BestGear Aug 14th, 2010 20:28

Can I ask what the simptoms of a failed top mount are?

Vibration... cracking exhaust due to movement?

Thanks

David

dd1898 Aug 14th, 2010 23:43

To be honest I did not notice any symptoms prior to changing and have not felt any difference after it was just that I noticed that the rubber was split nearly all the way through and knew that it should not be that way. Having looked on other posts people were talking about steering wheel vibrations or uneven engine movement, I for one could not afford that problem so a new mount was the easy fix.

BestGear Aug 15th, 2010 09:26

Thanks for the quick reply.

As a new owner, I must say that I was surprised to feel vibes from the steering wheel on mine at idle... and did wonder if something was up.... could this be it!?!?!

NCS XC90 Aug 15th, 2010 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestGear (Post 723863)
As a new owner, I must say that I was surprised to feel vibes from the steering wheel on mine at idle... and did wonder if something was up.... could this be it!?!?!

Hi,
No the vibration is still present with a new top mount. I changed mine for the same reason. Could see it was split and there was a vibration through the steering wheel. Just the same after the change. The engine mount was changed in design a few years ago to an up rated part. You can see the old and the new design in the pictures. I believe the old one was a known weak spot and I think that’s why RoyMacDonald thought all the old ones would have all been changed by now.

Nice procedure.

Neil

GJB Aug 15th, 2010 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCS XC90 (Post 723906)
Hi,
No the vibration is still present with a new top mount. I changed mine for the same reason. Could see it was split and there was a vibration through the steering wheel. Just the same after the change. The engine mount was changed in design a few years ago to an up rated part. You can see the old and the new design in the pictures. I believe the old one was a known weak spot and I think that’s why RoyMacDonald thought all the old ones would have all been changed by now.

Nice procedure.

Neil

If you have a vacuum leak on mounts that can cause slight vibration,had it on mine all mounts replaced under warranty 4 years ago no further problems

RoyMacDonald Aug 15th, 2010 18:12

Most of the mounts were replaced under warranty as it was discovered to be a weak point before the XC90 had been on the market for 3 years. Hence my suprise to see such an ancient one still in use. Guess the dealer must have missed that one.

NCS XC90 Aug 15th, 2010 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 724166)
Most of the mounts were replaced under warranty as it was discovered to be a weak point before the XC90 had been on the market for 3 years. Hence my suprise to see such an ancient one still in use. Guess the dealer must have missed that one.

They missed mine as well Roy, it's a 53 plate and had a full Volvo service history. I guess they just changed them if they need to. Mine was just cracked (the rubber that is) but made no real difference when I changed it, although don't get me wrong it was cracked and needed changing. I never mind paying for things and changing them if you know they need it and this was "clear cut". Does everyone get a little vibration through the steering wheel on tick over.
I have it as one of those little things associated with the XC90, like the steering wheel not returning to center from full lock, but does from all other positions. Great car overall.
Neil