Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 as a daily driver? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=238461)

Rd77 Oct 20th, 2015 23:27

240 as a daily driver?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, I hope it's ok to ask.. How many of you use your 240 as a daily driver? I need to buy a replacement estate, and thought i might go for a 240 as I think it will hold it's value better than a modern estate.. I'm concerned about fuel costs though.. I like the idea of lowering and upgrading wheels, and possibly installing lpg to deal with the fuel issue though, and I've found one in great condition.. Maybe a V70 would be more sensible though? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.. Richard.

mad matt Oct 21st, 2015 07:36

I have been using a 240 as my very day car and I am using lpg and my car gets used for towing my car trailer

mylittletony Oct 21st, 2015 08:23

I use mine every day and it's not even a fuel injected version. I really enjoy it as it's as good in almost all respects as a 10-15yr old car, but much more interesting than my old daily (a Rover 45 TD)

Driven sensibly, you should see 30mpg+ which is probably what a modern petrol Volvo would get, although a bit faster! :D

Antz Oct 21st, 2015 10:33

If youre worried about mpg, buy a Nissan Leaf. If you want character, buy a 240.

The main thing is what you spend on getting less mpg you save on not having depreciation. A 240 Wont decline in value.

240T Oct 21st, 2015 13:51

Daily driver here too..

BassplayerSteve Oct 21st, 2015 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Cornish (Post 1998038)
Daily driver here too..

And me too - a 3 day a week commute into Wakefield - around 30mpg & a nice warm heater too!

jordi Oct 21st, 2015 14:55

It's my most sensible daily.

Not sure on MPG but i know its more than my Suzuki Samurai.

JCM Oct 21st, 2015 16:17

Mine ('87 GL auto saloon) used as everyday car and have just completed a trip to Cornwall and back, brim-to-brim, 31.2 mpg. Runs like a Swiss watch !

coaster22 Oct 21st, 2015 17:24

Use mine everyday 240 saloon on carb , only 4 speed box , 25mpg ish .... Lovely to drive, 5 speed much better for longer distances motorways etc.

Jungle_Jim Oct 21st, 2015 18:02

Another issue which makes a 240 a very practical daily driver is the cheapness and easiness of repairs.

Compare for instance how much it would cost to replace a clutch or exhaust on a 240 vs anything made after the mid-90s eg a V70 (let alone a newish Audi etc). Compare prices of basic service items for a 240 with other modern cars.

I have a later 240 with LH fuel injection - and it's a great compromise between having a bit of engine management to help keep it running well and fuel economy within reason, and not being rocket science to repair. The brakes and suspension are fine for modern traffic.

Another practical aspect is you can see the outer extremities of the car - eg - when parking in tight spots. I find with modern cars the bonnet slopes away and it's hard to judge where the corners of the car are (unless it's got those sensors).

And 240's hold their value.

I think all those savings are worth the slightly higher fuel bill. And anyway - after all that recent scandal about VW diesel emissions, and the fact that diesel particles are much worse than petrol (the city of Paris is banning private diesel cars soon), it's probably not such a great idea to make fuel savings with a diesel engine.

John