Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Pilot Assist and Changing Lane (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291962)

dchbrown Feb 19th, 2019 08:29

Pilot Assist and Changing Lane

I have had my V90 for a few months now and have covered over 11000 mostly motorway miles in that time and make extensive use of Pilot Assist. I think it’s behaviour has changed though that could just be me noticing it more or perhaps my driving style has changed as I’ve gotten used to the car more.

When moving left, so returning to the left hand lanes after overtaking another vehicle it will sometimes “see” the vehicle 2 lanes over and slow down as if they are in front of the car. I almost always accelerate to stop it doing it but on occasion have left it alone and while it drops speed it will then work out that the vehicle isn’t in fact in front of it and therefore resume its set speed.

Let me give an example. A truck is in the inside lane ahead, a car is in the middle lane and I am approaching in he middle lane. I indicate to overtake and move into the outside lane. After passing the car in the middle lane I indicate left and start to move back into the middle lane. About half way across the lanes the car will see the truck in the inside lane and start to slow down. Once you have completed the move it will stop seeing the truck and resume the correct set speed.

I had thought it was due to the angle of the front of the car pointing toward the left when changing lanes and that had confused it but even very gentle lane changes still cause this.

So my question is this: is this a “feature” of Pilot Assist or does mine need looking at by the dealer?

techwatcher Feb 19th, 2019 09:15

Hi,

My XC60 behaves in the same way so I believe it's normal behaviour.

Bear in mind that the car doesn't 'know' your intentions and the sensors just see a vehicle that you are heading towards. I think the software is just taking a 'safety first' approach.

Jamieboy Feb 19th, 2019 09:17

Mine does this occasionally, and once or twice has really braked quite hard. Has undermined my confidence in the system I must say. I no longer use it on very busy motorways as I worry about it getting confused like this.

Philip Fisher Feb 19th, 2019 09:39

Mine does exactly this and has done for so for 85k miles.... I just give it a squeeze of throttle.

jonnyu Feb 19th, 2019 10:57

My advise would be to play around with the distance setting to see if that changes the behavior to something more acceptable for you.
Sometimes I use PA with 3 or 4 distance bars, other times i use it with only 1 bar, depending on the PA behavior.

CoopsSA Feb 19th, 2019 11:09

My V90 does the same every now and again but think as techwatcher states the system doesn't know your intentions. I also think it's connected to the angle you are returning to the middle lane (in your case). A sharp angle will allow the cameras to "see" the truck, whereas a more shallow angle (and allowing yourself to get past the truck) will avoid this I've found.

Bernard F Feb 19th, 2019 11:41

I suggest it could be because of the angle as you approach lane two. I use Pilot Assist on three bars regularly every time I use motorways and have never experienced this. I always take a relatively long gentle angle back into the new lane. In fact whilst indicating my Pilot Assist seems to dictate the route back and the angle of approach.

KNVXC90 Feb 19th, 2019 12:10

Never had this either. Mine's set on 5 bars. Always merge into the new lane with a gentle angle.

anotherv60 Feb 19th, 2019 13:20

Mine also does this but only when the gap to the vehicle in front would mean that my car would sit next to the lorry, I’ve assumed it was a safety feature so you don’t sit in the lorries blind spot.

Fursty Ferret Feb 19th, 2019 13:39

Mine does this. I think it's using the camera in conjunction with the radar to plot vehicle positions, as I've noticed that this only happens if the car in front isn't completely in their lane (ie, they're moving back to lane 1 while I'm moving into lane 2).