Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Parking sensors help (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320634)

mnicholls Oct 14th, 2021 18:30

Parking sensors help

Hi I just bought my first Volvo and it's an XC90 need the space for growing family!!
It has parking sensors, the rear ones seem to come on when really close and the front ones not all! Even when about 5cm away from object? Should I have front sensors or side sensors? The light is on for park assist.

It's a 2011 SE model
Thank you

Thassos Oct 15th, 2021 05:50

oem or aftermarket?

Well.. firstly welcome to (the safer world..) of volvos if you havent had one before..

Do you think the sensors are oem volvo or is there a possibility they have been fitted to the car ? big clue here will be are you getting the audio beep ing thru the sound system speakers ? the factory fit ones usually start making a noise at a fair distance, i would think maybe a metre from solid objects that can reflect sound..not sure about the setup on that year but usually there is a pam module in the rear bumper area thats doing the figuring out of signals from the 4 sensors and pushing data onto the canbus,,

Moose Test Oct 15th, 2021 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnicholls (Post 2777533)
Should I have front sensors or side sensors?
It's a 2011 SE model
Thank you

No, you don't necessarily have front sensors. They were a factory fitted option, specified at purchase. Volvo did provide an after market kit for a few years, so it's also possible that could have that fitted. Franky, just go look! If you don't see four circular sensor disks in the front bumper (the two sensors, one each side of the number plate carrier are the most obvious) then you don't. Whilst the front and rear sensors wrap around a little, there are no specific side sensors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnicholls (Post 2777533)
The light is on for park assist.

Then there's no point in discussing whether the activation behaviour of yours is currently normal. There's a fault in the system. Could be that the front set (if you have them fitted) has a break/disconnect/short in the sensor wiring loom or ditto at the back. Could be one or multiple sensor failures. Could be the parking sensor module itself (although that is a far less common failure). The only way to be certain is to have the car's diagnostic codes read. VIDA/DICE (Volvo's tool for this) can determine which sensors/modules are affected, so you don't have to guess. That said, there's no harm in checking the security of connections and state of wiring visually too.

mnicholls Oct 15th, 2021 14:22

Thank you for your replies so far!
This is my first Volvo and loving it can see why people only by Volvo now.

Ill have a look at my front bumper, I will re test distance on rear. May be worth my while contacting where I bought it to ask them to check over as still under warranty (avoids me paying then).

The beeps come from the speakers depending which side object is.

Interestingly looking online it suggests my Volvo should have it as standard? Not sure how accurate that is

Moose Test Oct 15th, 2021 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnicholls (Post 2777669)
Interestingly looking online it suggests my Volvo should have it as standard? Not sure how accurate that is

I'm not sure where you're seeing that but I don't believe it is accurate. "Front Park Assist" was an accessory option. It wasn't included as standard at any trim level, it had to be ordered via the dealer at the time of ordering, or fitted by the dealer as an after sale. The same scenario as the rear parking camera.

That's why you see comparatively few XC90s fitted with it. It's quite a rare equipment option, as the options go.

SwissXC90 Oct 16th, 2021 08:07

I have the PAC camera (option) and the rear sensors (standard) but no front sensors. I so wish I had the front sensors....

cbv8 Oct 16th, 2021 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2777764)
I have the PAC camera (option) and the rear sensors (standard) but no front sensors. I so wish I had the front sensors....

I bought some aftermarket front park sensors a while ago but but have yet to fit them these are lovely tanks but i think they should have had front p/s fitted as standard :shocked:

mnicholls Oct 17th, 2021 20:48

Thank you I have checked front bumpers and no sensors that I could see. I decided to double check with Volvo and yes no sensors. I'm very surprised that only the rear ones are standard equipment considering the size of the vehicle. Also when I read reviews before buying it said came with both which confused the matter more.

Regarding the rear distance I think as long as they kick in before I get too near should be fine just monitor it.

Thank you for all help.

Moose Test Oct 17th, 2021 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnicholls (Post 2778084)
Regarding the rear distance I think as long as they kick in before I get too near

And with the system showing a warning in the DIM, how are you going to know that they'll kick in? Every time? Certainly, the large jolt and crunching noise is there as a back up system but..

If it's still under warranty and the dealer isn't an unreasonable distance from you, I'd be asking them to resolve it.

owenfackrell Oct 18th, 2021 10:43

Just a quick thought. They engage when you select reverse it make no noise until you are quite close. The solid tone cuts in at a point you can normally get the boot open still. You can tell they are active as the radio display states “park assist active” or words to that effect.