Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   18s or 19s for and XC70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311973)

milo80 Nov 22nd, 2020 17:30

18s or 19s for and XC70

Hi all,
I'm torn between 18's and 19in wheels for my 08 XC70 D5 AWD Auto.
I bought it 2yrs ago with a genuine 99k kilometers on it. Full history but in standard for with SE trim and 16" wheels.
I'm a panel beater by trade so I can do most of my own work on the car. It's in very good shape and since i got it I've made sure to do all the oils and also I've done the gearbox. I'll be keeping this for the foreseeable future as I know how good they are. It's my 5th volvo over a 20yr period.

Anyway I'm in the process of getting a few bits for it now. Namely a boot spoiler some side skirt trims, and as the post suggests bigger wheels.
Living in Ireland much like the UK the roads as we all know are pretty poor, so no one really knows what's round the next bend.
I was thinking of 19" erakis alloys, if I go for 18's I'd probably go for a set of Cratus as they seem like their deceivable in size and look bigger than what they are. I'll also be trying to buy used as I know the extortionate price they are new.
The erakis I was thinking of getting the black with the polished face.
I don't really want after market rims as in my experience with them the quality isn't really as good and they always seem soft.
So if anyone has any experience with the above sizes I'd love to know about it.

XC70Virgin Nov 23rd, 2020 00:06

Mine has 17s. All you'll need.

apersson850 Nov 23rd, 2020 13:25

Our two XC70s use 235/50 18" on one, 235/55 17" on the other. Both use 215/65 16" in the winter.

You don't really feel any difference between 17" and 18".

zapcity1 Nov 23rd, 2020 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by milo80 (Post 2683791)
Hi all,
I'm torn between 18's and 19in wheels for my 08 XC70 D5 AWD Auto.
I bought it 2yrs ago with a genuine 99k kilometers on it. Full history but in standard for with SE trim and 16" wheels.
I'm a panel beater by trade so I can do most of my own work on the car. It's in very good shape and since i got it I've made sure to do all the oils and also I've done the gearbox. I'll be keeping this for the foreseeable future as I know how good they are. It's my 5th volvo over a 20yr period.

Anyway I'm in the process of getting a few bits for it now. Namely a boot spoiler some side skirt trims, and as the post suggests bigger wheels.
Living in Ireland much like the UK the roads as we all know are pretty poor, so no one really knows what's round the next bend.
I was thinking of 19" erakis alloys, if I go for 18's I'd probably go for a set of Cratus as they seem like their deceivable in size and look bigger than what they are. I'll also be trying to buy used as I know the extortionate price they are new.
The erakis I was thinking of getting the black with the polished face.
I don't really want after market rims as in my experience with them the quality isn't really as good and they always seem soft.
So if anyone has any experience with the above sizes I'd love to know about it.

Erakirs do seem to be the most popular 19" upgrade on a P3 XC70. I think they look great but can be pricey when you add in tyres. Recently there has been some ex-display on eBay for £800 but all had XC60 profile tyres which need changing. The XC's I've been in with 19's fitted ride really nicely, probably because the std. suspension is supersoft anyway.

Boot spolier, sideskirts and Erakirs do really lift an XC70, but you could easily drop a couple of grand on the lot!
My XC is a high mileage '09 plate with std. 17" rims. All the rims now need a refurb & new tyres, so best part of £700. Spoiler & skirts = £700 too! Just can't justify it on a cheap car.
As you say, you could get something used for a similar price.

milo80 Nov 23rd, 2020 15:36

Thanks for the replies.
I guess it's all pretty personal really to be fair. Just need to keep my eyes peeled on eBay for some decent bargains.

Kev0607 Nov 24th, 2020 15:51

Like you say, its a personal thing really & the choice is yours.

If it was my car, I'd settle for 17's - They offer a comfortable ride & look decent. At a push, I'd go to 18's though. I wouldn't have 19's.

zapcity1 Nov 24th, 2020 17:17

Money no object, mine would looks Like Jasper's XC. :tounge_smile:

https://i.imgur.com/ODGVt7Y.jpg

Tatsfield Nov 24th, 2020 17:22

If you intend to actually use the car's rough riding capabilities, I wouldn't go bigger than 17". Any larger and the matching low profile tyres will not be contributing to smoothing out the bumps, the rims will be closer to damaging rocks and the ride will be harsher on all surfaces. Big wheels with low profile tyres are designed for smooth black top cruisers but your car has an off road capability which you would undermine by fitting an eye candy wheel/tyre combination. Personally I cannot see the point of having an XC70 with licorice strip tyres.

milo80 Nov 25th, 2020 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2684298)
Personally I cannot see the point of having an XC70 with licorice strip tyres.

Classic 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bulleidboy Dec 2nd, 2020 12:45

Mine came with Merac 18's. I have thought about having them refurbished - a slightly darker silver?