Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Volvo C30 2.0D "Shark Performance" nightmare! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=240617)

yalrafai Nov 28th, 2015 20:56

Volvo C30 2.0D "Shark Performance" nightmare!

Hi guys I'd like to share my experience of getting my car remapped by shark performance.

Shark remapped my car for £315 and as I was driving it home I noticed that the engine would shudder briefly as I was accelerating. I tried to ignore this at first but things got worse and there was excess smoke coming from my exhaust and staining the back of my car. Additionally, the revs would oscillate as I accelerated and the car was slower than before I remapped it.

Took it back to shark, they told me I had to replace a fuel injector or something, ordered the part for £300 and got it replaced. No change whatsoever.

Took it back to shark again and they took the map off, no change whatsoever.

Taking it to Volvo in December hopefully to get it fixed but the engine light has been on ever since I got it remapped.

Although the guys at shark were nice etc the remap has truly ruined my car, just be careful guys

So to conclude: Oscillating revs, excess smoke, engine light on slower than before, occasionally engine shudders and there is no power whatsoever until I turn the car off and then back on. £615 down the drain so far plus 3 trips to shark (80 miles each way)

I think it's going to be a four figure repair job at Volvo aswell.

P.s I was never offered a refund or anything like that and they kept saying that there's a fault with the car and no problems with the map even though I've had it for 2 years with no problems at all and the first problem arose on my drive home from shark 10 minutes after getting it mapped. Coincidence?

cheshired5 Nov 28th, 2015 22:31

Did you get them to drive your perfectly ok car before the remap?
That would seem a sensible precaution to take before letting anyone do significant work on your expensive engine management.

kenny Nov 28th, 2015 23:06

I love first threads from new members slagging off well known companies. doesn't sound like the map is the problem given the car has been put back to standard and the fault is still there.

Look forward to the full story coming out if it does

iantowil Nov 29th, 2015 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenny (Post 2018638)
I love first threads from new members slagging off well known companies. doesn't sound like the map is the problem given the car has been put back to standard and the fault is still there.

Look forward to the full story coming out if it does

Doesn't sound as if they have been great though does it. You'd think they would refund at least, especially after removing the map. Even if it is just to avoid getting bad publicity such as this. And if the map could cause other problems, shouldn't they check the car is in a condition to take it without problems? Personally I think so.

alfadave11 Nov 29th, 2015 11:47

you mention management light is on etc ...what are the codes for them to replace an injector at your cost???????

so please list ecu error codes

yalrafai Nov 29th, 2015 11:58

they did give me the option to put the map back on in the future for free but why would I when it's destroyed my car in the first place

alfadave11 Nov 29th, 2015 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by yalrafai (Post 2018741)
they did give me the option to put the map back on in the future for free but why would I when it's destroyed my car in the first place

get your money back ....you haven't got anything for your money ..sale of goods act ....

IainG Nov 29th, 2015 12:26

Hi

Quote:

but why would I when it's destroyed my car in the first place
Could it have just highlighted an existing underlying problem / issue. A bit to early to jump to those sort of conclusions until you actually know what is wrong.
I would assume they have installed similar remaps on lots of similar engines without issues, that is why it might be worth thinking about previous underlying issues, they might have been there but not noticeable .
Iain

Rooster Nov 29th, 2015 13:23

If the car is still the same after been put back to standard then it sounds like its just turned up an issue with car,

You don't say how many miles your car has done or what its history is like, also modern diesels are very suspectable to bad fuel,

Remap's put more stress on engine just with the nature of them changing engine mapping to get more power, so if there has been an underlying issue then the map might have been brought it to a head,

yalrafai Nov 29th, 2015 15:23

it's a 2010 model, as I said it was perfect then on the way back from Shark I noticed the engine shuddering when I accelerated. Just warning others as I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else, very costly and a waste of time. No chance that it would have passed its MOT either with the awful clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust whilst I had the map on!