Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Voice recognition problems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297633)

BigKahuna Aug 15th, 2019 18:23

Voice recognition problems

Anyone else had any issues? Suddenly my XC60/Sensus doesn't seem to recognise my voice for recollection of phone numbers and calls as it used too. Occasionally it does work but more often than not it just repeats "What do you want to do?" The handsfree gets a lot of daily and whilst it's never been 100% glitch free, it's never been this bad. I can't find any microphone sensitivity adjustment controls anywhere on Sensus as on previous cars. Thanks

Begonia Aug 17th, 2019 10:57

Although you say this problem has arisen suddenly, this may well be more of an 'external noises are interfering and muddling the spoken command' problem, IMHO.

Just tell it, "Cancel" and then repeat what you wanted to say.

Clan Aug 17th, 2019 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKahuna (Post 2545036)
Anyone else had any issues? Suddenly my XC60/Sensus doesn't seem to recognise my voice for recollection of phone numbers and calls as it used too. Occasionally it does work but more often than not it just repeats "What do you want to do?" The handsfree gets a lot of daily and whilst it's never been 100% glitch free, it's never been this bad. I can't find any microphone sensitivity adjustment controls anywhere on Sensus as on previous cars. Thanks

Have you done the voice training in the car? Having said that it works pretty well with most accents as standard...

BigKahuna Aug 17th, 2019 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2545535)
Have you done the voice training in the car? Having said that it works pretty well with most accents as standard...

Can't say I've done this to be honest, wasn't even aware of it. I've had the car a year and a half, and whist occasionally it's been a bit glitchy, I've never had it to this extent, and I use it all day everyday day with my job. Won't seem to recognise any commands including those not connected with the phone (raise temperature, fan etc...) I'll check out the voice training if I can find it, thanks

Clan Aug 17th, 2019 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKahuna (Post 2545644)
Can't say I've done this to be honest, wasn't even aware of it. I've had the car a year and a half, and whist occasionally it's been a bit glitchy, I've never had it to this extent, and I use it all day everyday day with my job. Won't seem to recognise any commands including those not connected with the phone (raise temperature, fan etc...) I'll check out the voice training if I can find it, thanks

voice training is in the menu ... it takes about 15 minutes

BigKahuna Aug 17th, 2019 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2545651)

Thanks. I'm just uploading the voice control update from the website then I'll have a dig into the menu. Any clues where to start? :tounge_smile:

BroadwayBlueshirt Aug 17th, 2019 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2545651)

Cheers. That`s something I need to do. Like the OP, I never knew you could do that

Clan Aug 17th, 2019 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKahuna (Post 2545656)
Thanks. I'm just uploading the voice control update from the website then I'll have a dig into the menu. Any clues where to start? :tounge_smile:

alas no it has always worked about 90% well for me .

BigKahuna Aug 17th, 2019 21:04

I can't find any sign of voice training in the menu. What's more I've finished uploading the update and now the voice control button on the steering wheel does nothing....just dead :shocked:

Clan Aug 17th, 2019 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKahuna (Post 2545666)
I can't find any sign of voice training in the menu. What's more I've finished uploading the update and now the voice control button on the steering wheel does nothing....just dead :shocked:

have a look in the owner's manual , its very comprehensive and built into the sensus system ..

tem Aug 17th, 2019 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKahuna (Post 2545666)

Did you download this update and follow the instructions:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support.../voice-control

tem.

tem Aug 17th, 2019 21:42

Additional article which may help:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a80151503eecba

tem.

tem Aug 17th, 2019 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2545535)

Clan,

Can you post a link to “Voice Training” please.
I for one, have never found this in the menus.
Including, online help.
Thank you.

tem.

BigKahuna Aug 17th, 2019 22:09

Thanks All. Yes, I've uploaded the update from the support website, which went fine. After a bit of tinkering around changing the language and then back to UK English, it did seem to start working again after a few minutes so it seems to be working for the moment. I've noticed that if I adjust the climate using VR it now displays in the dash screen which I don't remember seeing before. I have searched both the menu's and the manual for the 'Voice training' that Clan refers too, but I've given up for now. Perhaps when he remembers how he did it he could pass on the info. Certainly previous cars I've had have had it so I guess it's in there somewhere.

Whiterdesign Aug 17th, 2019 22:53

I know I’ve done voice training in my car, but how the hell I did it I can’t remember. Done load of searches and can’t find it, think I came across it by accident.

Quacker Aug 18th, 2019 02:49

Clan has been dreaming. There is no voice control training. It is his fantasy. He may be thinking of some other car brand or possibly some earlier Volvo model, but the current model does not have this feature.

I challenge him to link to a page in the Sensus or the manual where such a ‘comprehensive’ thing exists or is explained and I am prepared to eat humble pie. Or I will prepare in the unlikely event that he, or anyone else comes up with the goods. Good luck!

tem Aug 18th, 2019 06:34

Voice Training?

I have been thinking back to when I owned one of the first editions of the XC60’s (2009/10?) and I remembered there being something mentioned about “Voice Training”.
I never thought anymore about it, as the car seemed to understand my commands from day one.

The link attached, does mention Voice Training.
You need to scroll down to see it mentioned:

http://www.volvedia.com/inf-928.html

Not sure if current models have this feature?
My V90 seems to understand my commands.

tem.

tem Aug 18th, 2019 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2545739)
Clan has been dreaming. There is no voice control training. It is his fantasy. He may be thinking of some other car brand or possibly some earlier Volvo model, but the current model does not have this feature.

I challenge him to link to a page in the Sensus or the manual where such a ‘comprehensive’ thing exists or is explained and I am prepared to eat humble pie. Or I will prepare in the unlikely event that he, or anyone else comes up with the goods. Good luck!

Think that you may have to have a wee nibble at your “humble pie” 😉.
See #17.

tem.

Wizzpop Aug 18th, 2019 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by tem (Post 2545747)
See #17.

tem.

Earlier Volvo models did have 'voice training'. I had to go through a 'training' process for my V50 to respond to my voice commands. There is no such process for my V60. It just understands my commands, if and when I can remember which commands to use!

Quacker Aug 18th, 2019 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by tem (Post 2545747)
See #17.

tem.

That’s not the current model[s]. Totally different vehicles. Try again.

tem Aug 18th, 2019 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2545757)
That’s not the current model[s]. Totally different vehicles. Try again.

I agree, but Clan was partly correct about Voice Training.
That is why I suggested a wee nibble.

tem.

Quacker Aug 18th, 2019 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by tem (Post 2545759)
I agree, but Clan was partly correct about Voice Training.
That is why I suggested a wee nibble.

tem.

:shocked: Totally wrong does not make a partly correct. Those old models do not have the current Sensus system. It’s like saying we have a manual choke on our cars when those disappeared with fuel injection.

Wizzpop Aug 18th, 2019 10:15

There is NO voice training for the current vehicles

tem Aug 18th, 2019 11:51

Voice training was available on the XC60 until the new SPA model started production.
The link below is for the late MY2016 XC60:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ce-recognition

A Volvo owner, who lives near me has one of the last manufactured, on a 67 plate.
It looks like the voice training function ceased, when the new SPA models started to appear.

tem.

Clan Aug 18th, 2019 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tem (Post 2545823)
Voice training was available on the XC60 until the new SPA model started production.
The link below is for the late MY2016 XC60:

A Volvo owner, who lives near me has one of the last manufactured, on a 67 plate.
It looks like the voice training function ceased, when the new SPA models started to appear.

tem.

i'm sure voice training was there on the XC90 when it came out in 2015 , perhaps the multitude of software updates the cars have had since then have removed it and replaced it with better recognition . .

Quacker Aug 18th, 2019 19:50

A search of this forum section indicates that no such feature has ever been described or discussed as being fitted to this car series.

The salesman who sold me the car, a 2017 XC90, certainly told me that it had the feature. A feature that I had no prior knowledge of, being new to Volvo. However, research at the time indicated that no such feature was fitted. It was probably fitted to the old 60 series which was still being built at the time, but I have no personal knowledge of it being so.

Begonia Aug 19th, 2019 15:14

There are a total of 11 Articles on Volvo Voice Recognition at:

Whiterdesign Aug 19th, 2019 15:42

Clan I agree with you and I am sure that my present xc60 had it, but it has probably been removed on recent issues of the voice recognition system
I have found an American site showing the new Sensus system voice commands dated 2018 and one of the commands is Voice Training.

Clan Aug 19th, 2019 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiterdesign (Post 2546191)
Clan I agree with you and I am sure that my present xc60 had it, but it has probably been removed on recent issues of the voice recognition system
I have found an American site showing the new Sensus system voice commands dated 2018 and one of the commands is Voice Training.

Thanks , glad i wasn't going Senile :thinking:

Quacker Aug 19th, 2019 21:13

Quote:

If you have the current model XC60 with Sensus, then it never had it. Please post a link to the American site showing the Sensus with voice command. It should be very interesting to everyone reading this topic. Thanks in advance.

Wizzpop Aug 19th, 2019 21:46

Quote:

I doubt it. My V60 has never had it, nor is there any reference to Voice Training in the manual.

Quacker Aug 19th, 2019 22:45

We’ll soon have a link to the American demo video of it, so will soon see what we are missing. Can’t wait.:boldblue::boldblue:

tem Aug 19th, 2019 22:51

This is the Owners Manual for the US 2019 XC60.
Voice Control starts around Page 147 and nowhere can I see any reference to Voice Training:

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...US_TP25629.pdf

tem.