Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Volvo S40 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295210)

Surfingbird May 29th, 2019 08:12

Volvo S40 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor problem

Hello everybody.

I have some issues with my newly bought 2006 Volvo S40 2.4 (B5244S5) 230 K miles driven.

Once in a while, a Engine service Urgent warning comes up, with the code reader saying something like Accelerator Pedal Position sensor fault. I forgot to write down the code, but do you know of any common issues here? Seems i am not the only one having some trouble with this kind of thing. I'll add in the codes ASAP, do not know have the code reader near me right now.

It runs fine even when the warning light is on, cruise control works too. Any ideas on how to test it, i figured it could be some fault in the comparation between the pedal sensor and throttle blade position sensor.

Clan May 29th, 2019 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfingbird (Post 2524550)
Hello everybody.

I have some issues with my newly bought 2006 Volvo S40 2.4 (B5244S5) 230 K miles driven.

Once in a while, a Engine service Urgent warning comes up, with the code reader saying something like Accelerator Pedal Position sensor fault. I forgot to write down the code, but do you know of any common issues here? Seems i am not the only one having some trouble with this kind of thing. I'll add in the codes ASAP, do not know have the code reader near me right now.

It runs fine even when the warning light is on, cruise control works too. Any ideas on how to test it, i figured it could be some fault in the comparation between the pedal sensor and throttle blade position sensor.

This fault is never the accelerator pedal , it is the connectors on the pedal , volvo do repair wires for it you need 7 i think .. i would change the signal wire too which goes direct to the CEM from the pedal and also change the terminal on the CEM end of this wire .

Surfingbird May 29th, 2019 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2524597)
This fault is never the accelerator pedal , it is the connectors on the pedal , volvo do repair wires for it you need 7 i think .. i would change the signal wire too which goes direct to the CEM from the pedal and also change the terminal on the CEM end of this wire .

I see! I am decent on wiring jobs, i was searching for what kind of voltage you would expect from the signal line to the CEM but didnt find anything.

I will try looking at it, thanks a lot.

Clan May 29th, 2019 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfingbird (Post 2524611)
I see! I am decent on wiring jobs, i was searching for what kind of voltage you would expect from the signal line to the CEM but didnt find anything.

I will try looking at it, thanks a lot.

The signal line from pedal to CEM is a white wire and is an analogue 0 to 5 v signal depending on the position of the pedal , there is a duplicate digital signal which goes through the network system to the Engine ECU for safety , they must both match otherwise it sets a fault code .

Surfingbird May 29th, 2019 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2524629)
The signal line from pedal to CEM is a white wire and is an analogue 0 to 5 v signal depending on the position of the pedal , there is a duplicate digital signal which goes through the network system to the Engine ECU for safety , they must both match otherwise it sets a fault code .

Allright. I will try to get to measure that. Guessing 5V is full throttle.

Thanks a lot for helping. Do you have any locations for diagrams that can be of use?

Surfingbird Jun 1st, 2019 21:29

Would one expect to see 0% at the accelerator pedal at ignition on, engine off? I see 8% and around 60% opening at pedal to the floor, ignition on, engine off.

Clan Jun 1st, 2019 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfingbird (Post 2525543)
Would one expect to see 0% at the accelerator pedal at ignition on, engine off? I see 8% and around 60% opening at pedal to the floor, ignition on, engine off.

yes , it is not 0 - 100% :-)

Surfingbird Jun 1st, 2019 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2525547)
yes , it is not 0 - 100% :-)

Cheers. Will be trying to fix it tomorrow morning. Wish me luck, found a OEM diagram, so should be relatively easy to track the wires.

Surfingbird Jun 18th, 2019 07:59

Fixed

So far it seems like it is fixed. No faults for the last week or so

I degreased and cleaned all connectors in the CEM module, and covered all connectors in oxidizing protection.

Clan Jun 18th, 2019 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfingbird (Post 2529671)
So far it seems like it is fixed. No faults for the last week or so

I degreased and cleaned all connectors in the CEM module, and covered all connectors in oxidizing protection.

you should have replaced the connector terminals at the CEM and pedal , the problem will come back ....