Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Rear spray jet for wiper (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=22021)

ramz Jul 19th, 2006 00:08

Rear spray jet for wiper

i think, something is broken on it. i have the back of it, and pulled of the pipe, and sprayed. low and behold, water came out, so the pipe and things are fine.

so something within the jet its self is broken, anyone know to fix or take it out? is annoyin, my rear window keeps getting dusty and i cant see a thing out of it!

anyone any ideas?

cheers,

ramz....

ps its a 440 with the spolier, so access is quite difficult, unless i take of the spolier, somehow?

CTCNetwork Jul 19th, 2006 01:30

Hi,

Have you tried a blow with an air gun or mmaybe a shot with WD40 ( with the long thin tube pressed againsth either the inlet or outlet) to blow through.
Also give a careful twiddle (technical term) with the tip of a small fine needle both sides.

Des. . . ;)

Glen Morangie Jul 19th, 2006 01:41

I don't know if your rear washer jet has the same size inlet as mine (on a 240)- but I found that an adaptor for pumping up a plastic football is an exact fit, with a bike pump it blew the blockage out.

ebdl Jul 19th, 2006 22:15

When I got my 440 I had the same problem. I managed to unblock mine by simply jabbing a dress-making type pin (or the kind you get with poppys, or button-holes - it is wedding season after all) into it after building up a bit of pressure in the system first by pressing the washe button for a while.

(You don't say you can hear the motor whirring when you press the button, but given the presence of water I take it that this is working ok)

A good way to avoid this happening again is to make sure you use your rear washer every time you use your front one. Works for me, anyway.

ramz Jul 19th, 2006 23:41

so jabbing and maybe blowing with a football pump thingy could work.

shall try this tommorrow.

and yes edbl, the motor and all that jazz works, it werrs, and the wiper goes up and down, spreading the crap further over the window.

cheers all

ramz Jul 20th, 2006 21:44

somehow, poking it, with a big needle and spraying it, it just spurlgeed a bit and now it works, at last! i wonder how long it hasnt worked...hrmmm...

was a lot of crap in it!

cheers again

mollusk Jul 21st, 2006 13:58

Hi ramz,

Been through this several times - pin to clear jet, air line to clear fitting round wiper spindle etc. - works for a few days and blocks again, and again.

Found problem to be dirt/contamination in resovoir and pipe work. Drained washer resovoir, cleaned it out well, refilled with plain water, removed pipe from rear jet and directed it into bottle, operated pump and pumped through about a litre - amazed how much rubbish came out!

Refitted all parts, filled resovoir with screen wash - fault cured! (been ok months now)

If yours blocks again try the above.

All the best Mac.