Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   960 bumpy ride (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=3299)

MvE Jul 12th, 2002 23:08

960 bumpy ride

Hi

I have another query regarding my 1995 960 saloon.

I have recently noticed that the ride seems to have become a bit bumpy, I can’t recall if it has always been like this or whether it has slowly crept up on me.

It seems like every bump in the road can be felt. I suspect that the shocks are past their best but the car has only done 45000 miles. Can shocks wear out this soon?

I am considering changing all four shocks but I should hate to change them if it’s not going to make any difference.

Is it normal for a 1995 960 to have a bumpy ride? I think that Volvo modified the suspension design in 95 to give better handling, maybe the ride suffered as a result? My car has the transverse leaf spring at the back and does NOT have the self levelling type shocks.

Has anyone experienced a shock change on the post 95 model? What difference did it make?

All advise welcome.

Cheers, Mark

Cougar 27 Jul 15th, 2002 09:34

RE: 960 bumpy ride

Its very strange you have said this, my Volvo has just come back from a very lengthy repair and as a result I have not driven it for many months, so I took the family out in it for the day. I had complaints from the ‘back seat drivers’ that the ride was very bumpy and wallowed.

I had never noticed this before but when taking corners the body roll seemed excessive. My car has only done 53,000 miles and has the self-levelling suspension. But the shocks couldn’t have past there best already (could they).

On recently fitting new tyres a report can back saying one of my rear shocks had been leaking so this would explain the poor handling. How much are new self levelling shocks, I dread to think !…

Before this I thought the 95 M.Y handed very well for such a heavy car. So I would check your shocks for leaks…

MvE Jul 15th, 2002 21:20

Your description of your car’s handling sound just like mine. My 960 bumps about and wallows from side to side especially while going round tight corners. It feels more like a boat in a storm than a luxury car.

Checked the shocks today and found no leaks. I suppose that they could still be worn even if they aren’t leaking. I think that I will have to bite the bullet and get a new set. Perhaps I will just do the rear ones first (easier to put on), if that make a difference I could go the whole hog and do the front ones too.

Cheers, Mark

George Holmer Jul 15th, 2002 21:42

Someone told me that the shocks need replacing every 30000-40000 miles, at least the self levelling ones. German, Swedish and French do them @109 each I think.

George

'87 745 GLE Turbodiesel Intercooler
'89 440 GL 1.7