Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Air Con: General: Air con Disaster (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=37106)

dandpl May 12th, 2007 17:44

Air con Disaster

Hi to you all

1993 Volvo 850 Estate with 260k kilometres living in France.

Recently the air con would stop working after half an hour or so and then work again when the engine was cold for another half hour or so.

Volvo dealer who has serviced the car said new compressor at 700 euro. so ok we went with it ...........it had been re-gassed some 3 months previously.

Volvo dealer pronounces all is well and has been tested.........when we drive it no air-con at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Volvo dealer now suggests replacing another part "Platine 9144352" (French word) which I think is an electrical board at 950 euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He belives the system was blocked and it burbt out this item.

Car has always been serviced by Volvo and by this dealer for the last 2 years.

What think you all???????????? The car is worth about 4000 euro in France!

Many Many thanks in advance for your help

dandpl

Chris_Rogers May 12th, 2007 17:48

Cutting out after 1/2 hour is usually a compressor clutch problem.

Search for 'compressor clutch air gap' on this forum for a fix.

CTCNetwork May 12th, 2007 17:54

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers (Post 237688)
Cutting out after 1/2 hour is usually a compressor clutch problem.

Search for 'compressor clutch air gap' on this forum for a fix.

But they now have a new compressor.
Wouldn't this include a new clutch for it??

Des. . . ;)

Chris_Rogers May 12th, 2007 19:23

Sorry missread the orginal post tired!

dandpl May 14th, 2007 15:21

Air Con Disaster

We have visited dealer and he insists the compressor was at fault but has showed us the "heating control board" which is burnt out and it is this part that he now wants to replace at great expense. you can smell the burning.

But we still have heating in the car.

We feel we will try to source a second hand "board" and try to fit that.

Do you have any other thoughts?

Many thanks

AlanH May 14th, 2007 19:41

It's unusual for a board to burn out unless it has been short circuited. It seems a bit of a coincidence for first a compressor to fail intermittently and then, once someone has worked on the car, for the new compressor to not work at all due to a catastrophic board failure.

I may be suspicious but my take on this would be a weak compressor clutch which was misdiagnosed as a compressor failure due to ham fisted testing that blew the board. I'd pass the bust board to an electronics person for an opinion on how the failure occurred.

Bob May 15th, 2007 07:17

Try http://www.braydonmotors.co.uk for a part, new or used.

Bob

adamsky01 May 15th, 2007 08:23

i am sure that there is a relay which is causing this problem have heard of it causing the sys to shutdown and it wont restart till relay is replaced i just cant remeber which the manual it is in

Jod T5 May 15th, 2007 08:25

unfortunately in my experience apart from the odd regas most air con/ecc issues involving new parts render the project beyond economic viability...
cheers
jod

dandpl May 15th, 2007 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanH (Post 238691)
It's unusual for a board to burn out unless it has been short circuited. It seems a bit of a coincidence for first a compressor to fail intermittently and then, once someone has worked on the car, for the new compressor to not work at all due to a catastrophic board failure.

I may be suspicious but my take on this would be a weak compressor clutch which was misdiagnosed as a compressor failure due to ham fisted testing that blew the board. I'd pass the bust board to an electronics person for an opinion on how the failure occurred.

The part number to be replaced is 9144352 and I agree with your view on this.............anybody know where I might locate a second hand board?

Thanks for the reply