Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Lights On with Unlock? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295864)

ShamusUK Jun 19th, 2019 17:49

Lights On with Unlock?

Hi,

Quick question....

At night time when I press the Unlock button, are my headlights and rear lights supposed to come on until I open the driver's door? My last few cars (all with auto-lights) used to do this. Seems strange the Volvo does not do this.

Also, is there some art to using the follow-me-home lights? The setting is on in MyCar settings. I switch off the engine. Open the door. Quick pull of the light lever toward me. And nothing happens....

Thanks.

Rex65 Jun 19th, 2019 18:03

I've no need to use the function but I believe you need to press the button on the fob to turn them on.

afeee Jun 19th, 2019 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShamusUK (Post 2530098)
Hi,

Quick question....

At night time when I press the Unlock button, are my headlights and rear lights supposed to come on until I open the driver's door? My last few cars (all with auto-lights) used to do this. Seems strange the Volvo does not do this.

Also, is there some art to using the follow-me-home lights? The setting is on in MyCar settings. I switch off the engine. Open the door. Quick pull of the light lever toward me. And nothing happens....

Thanks.

Only works with an extra push on the light button on your remote.
I personally find this strange that Volvo didn't in cooperate this from factory.

Is there any way to have this function somehow? Maybe some hack or so?

Spike56 Jun 20th, 2019 10:25

Surely if the lighting came on when the doors unlock, you would be unable to sit, work or generally have the car unlocked without the fear of draining the battery?
If you just want the light on, on approach, then as stated.... Button on the key.

ShamusUK Jun 20th, 2019 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike56 (Post 2530241)
Surely if the lighting came on when the doors unlock, you would be unable to sit, work or generally have the car unlocked without the fear of draining the battery?
If you just want the light on, on approach, then as stated.... Button on the key.

The unlock lights would only stay on for a designated number of seconds (as happens with the light button on the fob).

Anyway, i'll have to remember to use the button on the fob.

I wonder if there is an App for Volvos (like Bimmercode for BMWs) which lets you over-ride settings, and go above and beyond MyCar settings? I guess there was VIDA/DICE, but nothing for the post-2014 models?

I actually bought Bimmercode (£50 for App and Dongle) - it was extremely useful. To be fair, there's not much i'd change on the Volvo.... just the lights on unlock, and increase the seat heater temps, and set a default radio volume on startup.

Thanks.

Spike56 Jun 20th, 2019 13:02

I agree with you. If you can have the whole follow me home lighting thing it would make sense to link it to the unlock sequence. And second the seats heater!

Is there something you can do with a canbus function extender? Might be a bit overkill for just one function, but if you could change several at the same time it might be worth the money...

Roland_F Jun 21st, 2019 21:42

What durations are set for your Approach light and Home Safe light? If they are set to zero (and I recall correctly), then neither will work, giving the appearance of something broken.

ShamusUK Jun 21st, 2019 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland_F (Post 2530592)
What durations are set for your Approach light and Home Safe light? If they are set to zero (and I recall correctly), then neither will work, giving the appearance of something broken.

Both settings are set to 30 seconds. The home-approach lighting does not work when i pull the wiper stalk and exit the car. Maybe i'm missing something? Are you supposed to open the door first? I've tried everything, but can't get it to work.

Thanks.

SwissXC90 Jun 22nd, 2019 07:10

The CFE module provides these extra functions

Spike56 Jun 22nd, 2019 12:20

Home safe..... Stop, switch off engine, remove key, pull back on the mainbeam stalk and the lights should come on. They can be altered in the 'my car' menu if you have it.

My car..settings..car settings..light settings..approach (!) light duration. CAN BE off (!) 30s, 60s, 90s.

The same can be found for Home Safe.

At least for my S60.