Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   My way of driving and what it does to my car (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108403)

faffi Jan 19th, 2011 11:21

Although the foundation is rather slim to form conclusions upon, it does seem to indicate that it doesn't matter much how you drive - your engine and drivetrain seems to cope to the tune of roughly 6 good ones and one bad out of 7.

faffi Mar 29th, 2011 13:50

I have given this some more thought. Initially, what I hoped to find was a correspondance between driving style and typical issues connected with engine (ab)use. But it doesn't seem to be a lot of mechanical issues today related to whether an engine is lugged with low rpm and little throttle or boted constantly and raced to the redline.

Some sort of electronic/electric issue seem to be the most common nuisance with modern cars, and those are not much affected by driving style. Damp weather and poor, bumpy roads driven fast will possibly have some influence, but overall I think it is just down to dumb luck whether a car runs trouble free for a decade or makes lots of trouble almost from new.

What do you reckon - how much of the issues seen in moderns cars are down to the driver/conditions of use, and how much is down how that particular car was built?

Daim Mar 29th, 2011 17:52

I drive rather low reved... Mostly at about 2.000 rpm the gear is changed. At 50 km/h (approx. 30 mph) I'm already in 5th gear.

The engine has abolutly caused no problems what so ever. The gearbox - well, I don't talk about it. What my biggest problem in the C30 is, is basially the front suspension. The top steering bearings have been changed so often, about at least once a year... of course, both sides... My AC had a sheared pipe and didn't work. My drivers seat clicked/clacked in curves. My steering coloumn rattled quite heavily. My headlights get damp from inside and are currently filfthy (from inside!). The fogs are basically blunt.

Otherwise... All fine ;)

faffi Mar 29th, 2011 19:29

Do you think your 19" wheels can have anything to do with your suspension issues?

My box is sometimes reluctant to engage 1st and reverse, hot or cold, but I'm used to it, use a bit more force and have stopped "brushing teeth". 6th also require a determined push to the side before pulling the stick back. Otherwise it is good.

My headlights had fog inside after use for a few days when the car was new, but I haven't noticed later on.

Do you think your 19" wheels can have anything to do with your suspension issues?

sabresoft Mar 29th, 2011 20:07

Option 2
I drive hard, use full throttle and max revs - and have had problems.
850 T5R: 1 engine, 2 gearboxes, and a few driveshafts.

V70: gearbox glitch (hopefully now sorted).

Daim Mar 29th, 2011 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by faffi (Post 874201)

My box is sometimes reluctant to engage 1st and reverse, hot or cold, but I'm used to it, use a bit more force and have stopped "brushing teeth". 6th also require a determined push to the side before pulling the stick back. Otherwise it is good.

My headlights had fog inside after use for a few days when the car was new, but I haven't noticed later on.

No, because I only got the 19"s this year, but have had the car 3 years and in the 3 years have had to have the bearing changed very often. The issues are there even on 15" steel rims (the lightest rims you can get).

I think, the issues are due to my car being a very very early C30 (ws built MY 2007 but left the factory 2006) and due to it having the lowering kit. Oddly, the suspension issue is also on 2009 and 2010 C30ies...

faffi Mar 29th, 2011 21:39

Daim, isn't the C70/S40/V50 built over the same floor and technology? Is this perhaps a common weakness? Does your daily drive consist of a lot of rough roads?

faffi Mar 29th, 2011 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabresoft (Post 874237)
Option 2
I drive hard, use full throttle and max revs - and have had problems.
850 T5R: 1 engine, 2 gearboxes, and a few driveshafts.

V70: gearbox glitch (hopefully now sorted).

Haven't Volvo had issues with the driveline in the more powerfull editions since they went FWD?

Kizzer Mar 30th, 2011 14:58

I clicked the wrong one. Ooops. Ment to of clicked option 3

Daim Mar 30th, 2011 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by faffi (Post 874331)
Daim, isn't the C70/S40/V50 built over the same floor and technology? Is this perhaps a common weakness? Does your daily drive consist of a lot of rough roads?

Yes, it does use the same floor pan, just with a few changes. The track is a little wider on the C30 compared to S40 and V50.