Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 - Engine System Service Required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=238825)

SwissXC90 May 19th, 2019 15:07

High oil level can result in higher risk of diesel runaway which destroys your Engine.
Yes everyone will say the risk is low.
But that is one consequence.
Drive the car to a flat road and suck out some oil.

SwissXC90 May 19th, 2019 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by potshot (Post 2521783)
I have this message come up but I had the oil changed around a year ago, seems strange for this message to come up now. I won't be able to remove any oil for a week at least but I need to do 13 miles a day to work and back in the meantime, will it be ok using the car. I live on a hill so checking the oil level is not accurate and need to check it next when I park on a level road.

Sorry just reread the post. Your issue cannot be related to high oil level if oil was changed a year ago. As it is time to change he oil again, why don’t you just get it inspected during the oil change ?

Jimmy90 Nov 15th, 2020 11:30

Sorry to drag this up. After my garage over filling the oil at a service I have the same message as above that won't clear. I've taken it to two garages who can't find a fault code. Before a shell out on Vida that I don't have the funds for at the moment would Vida show a code for this? I've done over 500 since draining oil but still have the message?

S60D5-185 Nov 15th, 2020 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy90 (Post 2681799)
Sorry to drag this up. After my garage over filling the oil at a service I have the same message as above that won't clear. I've taken it to two garages who can't find a fault code. Before a shell out on Vida that I don't have the funds for at the moment would Vida show a code for this? I've done over 500 since draining oil but still have the message?

Have you checked to see if the swirl arm is still attached?

If not, it can easily throw up that message.

Lift the engine cover off and look to the front left of the cylinder head and you will see an electric motor and a link arm connecting to another arm.

The link arm is notorious for failing. Loads of threads re fixes on here.

If disconnected and you fix it the message will disappear after a couple of days.

Worth having a look.👍

Jimmy90 Nov 15th, 2020 13:51

I'm not great with newer engines. Is it obviouse or do you have a photo? I struggle with searching on the forum

S60D5-185 Nov 15th, 2020 19:25

If you follow the instructions in my previous post it will be very obvious if it's ok or detached.

Jimmy90 Nov 15th, 2020 20:16

Lovely, I'll take a look in the morning. Cheers

S60D5-185 Nov 15th, 2020 20:38

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy90 (Post 2681933)
Lovely, I'll take a look in the morning. Cheers

Look here.👍 Should say "Connected":teeth_smile:

Jimmy90 Dec 1st, 2020 20:38

Well, turns out my swirl flap is all in order and at just over 1000miles the message has finally gone on its own accord

Thistrucker Dec 27th, 2020 15:18

Engine system service required

Got this msg popping up sometimes. Engine oil not been changed or topped up since last service, (Oct 20), oil level ok, swirl valve arm attached ok. Anyone have any more ideas please?