Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 - Engine System Service Required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=238825)

Spike H Oct 27th, 2015 09:40

XC90 - Engine System Service Required

Hi,

First post, so here goes!

I have a 61 plate D5 Exec XC90. With 23,000 miles. First 3 services were carried out at Volvo main dealership.

I recently moved to the IOW and as there is no Volvo dealer went to an independent for its 4th service.

A few days after the service a message came up: Engine System Service Required.

I went back to the garage and the mechanic tried to reset it by pushing in the trip button whilst turning the key. During this time code 042 was displayed. The message reset but kept reappearing on starting the engine.

He went away and came back with a box of tricks that he plugged in under the dash and reset it.

Fast forward 1 week and the same message has reappeared. Probably at the same location as the first time i.e. going up a nearby hill.

Whilst trying to reset using the trip/key trick, code 082 was displayed. Message reappeared on starting the engine.

Did some research and it appears that the oil may have been overfilled and it does look a little high on the dipstick. (Correlates with the hill).

I intend to remove some oil using a syringe kit when it arrives. Questions I have:

a. If it is overfilled oil, will the fault message reset itself after rectifying or does it need to go back to the garage?

b. Where do I find out what the codes mentioned above mean?

Any other information gratefully received. Many thanks.

rsymes2k Oct 27th, 2015 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike H (Post 2000916)
Hi,

First post, so here goes!

I have a 61 plate D5 Exec XC90. With 23,000 miles. First 3 services were carried out at Volvo main dealership.

I recently moved to the IOW and as there is no Volvo dealer went to an independent for its 4th service.

A few days after the service a message came up: Engine System Service Required.

I went back to the garage and the mechanic tried to reset it by pushing in the trip button whilst turning the key. During this time code 042 was displayed. The message reset but kept reappearing on starting the engine.

He went away and came back with a box of tricks that he plugged in under the dash and reset it.

Fast forward 1 week and the same message has reappeared. Probably at the same location as the first time i.e. going up a nearby hill.

Whilst trying to reset using the trip/key trick, code 082 was displayed. Message reappeared on starting the engine.

Did some research and it appears that the oil may have been overfilled and it does look a little high on the dipstick. (Correlates with the hill).

I intend to remove some oil using a syringe kit when it arrives. Questions I have:

a. If it is overfilled oil, will the fault message reset itself after rectifying or does it need to go back to the garage?

b. Where do I find out what the codes mentioned above mean?

Any other information gratefully received. Many thanks.

I could be wrong but overfilling with oil may have killed a lambda sensor...

Take it back to the garage, they overfilled it, they potentially caused the issue...

Horton Nov 1st, 2015 12:15

Definitely overfilled with oil!! There is a sensor in the sump which uses sonar to detect the oil level. It's VERY sensitive, and even if you fill the correct 5.7 litres it will often put the EML light on. The level should be set using Vida or something similar and the engine needs to be run to temperature, with the level being set between 70 and 80 percent.

ifzal123 Nov 1st, 2015 14:04

Definitely oil related.

As already said they sensor is very sensitive and you should only fill the oil up 2/3rds on the dip stick.

See thread below

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127474

Spike H Nov 1st, 2015 16:25

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for your replies.

I've sucked about 500ml of oil out through the dipstick pipe using a large syringe and small bore plastic tubing.

The oil level is now roughly what it should be according to the tally. (Photo attached).

Does anybody have any idea how to remove the 'Engine System Service' message?

I've tried to remove it doing the trip/key method to no avail. The first time it was reset (before oil removed) the mechanic had to use a device plugged in under the dash.

Could be a trip back to the indie dealer if all else fails.

Thanks again.

cheshired5 Nov 1st, 2015 17:41

Most error message disappear on their own once the fault is fixed and the system has checked itself a few times so taking the car for a drive and patience usually works. :thumbs_up:

Of course it's always preferable to know exactly what the code was rather than guessing.

Keith T Nov 26th, 2015 10:43

XC90 Engine Systen Service Required

First post - just joined.

56 plate D5 80,000 miles. 100 miles after service. Engine etc warning message.

2 faults
6665 glow plug relay control faulty signal
5660 oil level sensor faulty signal

Both cleared by local garage for £20 inc VAT.

I was expecting the swirl valve cable fault (as in another Engine System Service Required three (that I could not find this morning - apologies). But the cable was fine.

cheshired5 Nov 26th, 2015 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith T (Post 2017441)
First post - just joined.

56 plate D5 80,000 miles. 100 miles after service. Engine etc warning message.

2 faults
6665 glow plug relay control faulty signal
5660 oil level sensor faulty signal

Both cleared by local garage for £20 inc VAT.

That's not how code clearing works.
If the problem isn't fixed, the codes and warning will return.

Spike H Nov 27th, 2015 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2003750)
Most error message disappear on their own once the fault is fixed and the system has checked itself a few times so taking the car for a drive and patience usually works. :thumbs_up:

Of course it's always preferable to know exactly what the code was rather than guessing.

After much research I'm fairly certain the cause of the 'Engine System Service Required' message has been resolved i.e. oil overfill by the Indie garage.

However, the message remains, although admittedly I haven't driven the car that much.

I just need a cheapie reader to clear the message, I'm not interested at this stage in the more expensive readers.

Any recommends please? Thanks for your help.

cheshired5 Nov 27th, 2015 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike H (Post 2017861)
However, the message remains, although admittedly I haven't driven the car that much.

Drive it some more then.
The message will go on its own if oil was the problem and you've resolved it.

Spike H Dec 13th, 2015 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2017928)
Drive it some more then.

Well, the message disappeared today! By my reckoning 200 - 250 miles after rectifying the problem.

Many thanks!

Spike H Dec 13th, 2015 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2017928)
Drive it some more then.

Good advice.

smallbokke Mar 19th, 2016 18:46

Error Code 082 on 2011 XC90 Executive

I've just had our XC90 serviced and the engine system service required warning has come on.
We knew it was the oil as we wasted a lot of money on a new sensor light when we first bought it, so we have asked the garage to remove some oil - down to 3/4 full.
The light, however, is still on and we have just sold the car and were due to drop it off to the new owners this afternoon!
So annoyed!
We tried the reset trick, but it shows error code 082. Does anyone know what that is?

cheshired5 Mar 19th, 2016 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallbokke (Post 2080169)
I've just had our XC90 serviced and the engine system service required warning has come on.
We knew it was the oil as we wasted a lot of money on a new sensor light when we first bought it, so we have asked the garage to remove some oil - down to 3/4 full.
The light, however, is still on and we have just sold the car and were due to drop it off to the new owners this afternoon!
So annoyed!
We tried the reset trick, but it shows error code 082. Does anyone know what that is?

How far have you driven it since removing some oil?

smallbokke Mar 19th, 2016 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2080171)
How far have you driven it since removing some oil?

We'll we've had the car back from the garage for a week, drove it around a little bit then took it back yesterday to drain some oil, then back again today.
Oddly enough, not onlyis that message up but the alarm keeps going off too for no reason!

cheshired5 Mar 19th, 2016 19:15

As you can see in comment #11 above, a decent mileage needs to be covered before the warning self cancels.

The erratic alarm behaviour is probably the internal siren battery giving up.

apikou Sep 28th, 2018 23:55

Hi guys, I have the same prob, did you finally solve it by sucking out the extra oil? Has the message cleared?

Spike H Sep 29th, 2018 08:49

It worked for me.

Approx 500ml oil removed using syringe, so the level was as per the picture in post #5. The message only cleared after covering a couple of hundred miles, see post #11.

potshot May 19th, 2019 15:11

I have this message come up but I had the oil changed around a year ago, seems strange for this message to come up now. I won't be able to remove any oil for a week at least but I need to do 13 miles a day to work and back in the meantime, will it be ok using the car. I live on a hill so checking the oil level is not accurate and need to check it next when I park on a level road.

potshot May 19th, 2019 15:19

My car is an S60 D5 2008. What syringe would somebody recommend?

SwissXC90 May 19th, 2019 16:07

High oil level can result in higher risk of diesel runaway which destroys your Engine.
Yes everyone will say the risk is low.
But that is one consequence.
Drive the car to a flat road and suck out some oil.

SwissXC90 May 19th, 2019 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by potshot (Post 2521783)
I have this message come up but I had the oil changed around a year ago, seems strange for this message to come up now. I won't be able to remove any oil for a week at least but I need to do 13 miles a day to work and back in the meantime, will it be ok using the car. I live on a hill so checking the oil level is not accurate and need to check it next when I park on a level road.

Sorry just reread the post. Your issue cannot be related to high oil level if oil was changed a year ago. As it is time to change he oil again, why don’t you just get it inspected during the oil change ?

Jimmy90 Nov 15th, 2020 12:30

Sorry to drag this up. After my garage over filling the oil at a service I have the same message as above that won't clear. I've taken it to two garages who can't find a fault code. Before a shell out on Vida that I don't have the funds for at the moment would Vida show a code for this? I've done over 500 since draining oil but still have the message?

S60D5-185 Nov 15th, 2020 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy90 (Post 2681799)
Sorry to drag this up. After my garage over filling the oil at a service I have the same message as above that won't clear. I've taken it to two garages who can't find a fault code. Before a shell out on Vida that I don't have the funds for at the moment would Vida show a code for this? I've done over 500 since draining oil but still have the message?

Have you checked to see if the swirl arm is still attached?

If not, it can easily throw up that message.

Lift the engine cover off and look to the front left of the cylinder head and you will see an electric motor and a link arm connecting to another arm.

The link arm is notorious for failing. Loads of threads re fixes on here.

If disconnected and you fix it the message will disappear after a couple of days.

Worth having a look.👍

Jimmy90 Nov 15th, 2020 14:51

I'm not great with newer engines. Is it obviouse or do you have a photo? I struggle with searching on the forum

S60D5-185 Nov 15th, 2020 20:25

If you follow the instructions in my previous post it will be very obvious if it's ok or detached.

Jimmy90 Nov 15th, 2020 21:16

Lovely, I'll take a look in the morning. Cheers

S60D5-185 Nov 15th, 2020 21:38

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy90 (Post 2681933)
Lovely, I'll take a look in the morning. Cheers

Look here.👍 Should say "Connected":teeth_smile:

Jimmy90 Dec 1st, 2020 21:38

Well, turns out my swirl flap is all in order and at just over 1000miles the message has finally gone on its own accord

Thistrucker Dec 27th, 2020 16:18

Engine system service required

Got this msg popping up sometimes. Engine oil not been changed or topped up since last service, (Oct 20), oil level ok, swirl valve arm attached ok. Anyone have any more ideas please?

paddy74 Dec 27th, 2020 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistrucker (Post 2692615)
Got this msg popping up sometimes. Engine oil not been changed or topped up since last service, (Oct 20), oil level ok, swirl valve arm attached ok. Anyone have any more ideas please?

Get the DTCs read with VIDA (dealer or user near you). Anything else is just a guessing game. :)

SwissXC90 Dec 28th, 2020 18:46

Indeed, without a VIDA reading my nearest guess is that the flux capacitor is leaking