Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Wet heating systems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298884)

green van man Sep 24th, 2019 18:56

Wet heating systems

Was wondering would volvo coolant be suitable for the wet Truma heating system in my van?

Have been quoted £300 to change from Blue 2 year coolant to pink 5 year coolant nessesary to preserve the warrantee on my boiler. Has of course to be registered workshop. Now in 5 years it will need doing again, volvo coolant is supposedly good for many years longer so wondering if next time as it's out of warrantee I could go fill and forget volvo coolant?

Opinions greatfully received.

Paul.

Whyman Sep 24th, 2019 19:11

I tend to agree with you that antifreeze is antifreeze. It is only protecting the aluminum of the pipes and the stainless steel in the boiler and will work at temperatures lower than a cars system. From memory the shower boost system only increases the temperature from 55 to 70 deg C.

Got me wondering whether the boiler warranty is longer than 2 years or is it just one year. I know the caravan may have 6 years but that probably does not cover the equipment fitted such as the boiler and heating system

Paul Wildsmith Sep 24th, 2019 19:24

for topping up I just bought a bottle of something from local caravan dealer - can't remember how much, probably £10. To change, I'd do it myself.

green van man Sep 24th, 2019 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyman (Post 2556823)
I tend to agree with you that antifreeze is antifreeze. It is only protecting the aluminum of the pipes and the stainless steel in the boiler and will work at temperatures lower than a cars system. From memory the shower boost system only increases the temperature from 55 to 70 deg C.

Got me wondering whether the boiler warranty is longer than 2 years or is it just one year. I know the caravan may have 6 years but that probably does not cover the equipment fitted such as the boiler and heating system

Sure its 5 years on my coachman, subject to annual service by approved workshop, which is why the subject of blue/pink antifreeze came up. Will have to check paperwork again to be certain

The water ingress is 10 years BUT the 3rd, 6th and 9th service MUST be carried out no more than a month before the anniversary of first registration, all others are a month before up to 6 weeks after. One slip and you've lost it.

Paul.

green van man Sep 24th, 2019 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith (Post 2556827)
for topping up I just bought a bottle of something from local caravan dealer - can't remember how much, probably £10. To change, I'd do it myself.

I would also were it not under warrantee, as it is I'm stuffed and have to pay others to do what I could do myself.

Paul.

Paul Wildsmith Sep 24th, 2019 21:53

yes - I have a new van bought last year, though decided to have a mobile service man in (approved) to save over £100 on a dealer service last month. For the 10 year water ingress warranty, I'll probably run the risk of an argument that however I might replace the heating glycol system has no bearing.
I had my previous caravan for 24 years, so just getting used to this new system!

Though on the positive side, have had the upholstery supplier replace all the seating as the original material they used creased up easily.

green van man Sep 25th, 2019 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith (Post 2556877)
yes - I have a new van bought last year, though decided to have a mobile service man in (approved) to save over £100 on a dealer service last month. For the 10 year water ingress warranty, I'll probably run the risk of an argument that however I might replace the heating glycol system has no bearing.
I had my previous caravan for 24 years, so just getting used to this new system!

Though on the positive side, have had the upholstery supplier replace all the seating as the original material they used creased up easily.

I was always a Bailey man but oh dear, their quality has taken a nosedive over the years. My previous 2004 Pagent Vendee was well put together and when we decided to go for new I looked at their top of the range Unicorns. What a disappointment, brand new vans with a 6mm gap between the front of the draw and the bottom of it, 2 or 3 goes to screw a hinge in the correct place and just the general fit and fixtures were so far behind the old van I walked away very disappointed. Am now a coachman convert.

Paul.

60041 Oct 7th, 2019 01:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2557099)
I was always a Bailey man but oh dear, their quality has taken a nosedive over the years. My previous 2004 Pagent Vendee was well put together and when we decided to go for new I looked at their top of the range Unicorns. What a disappointment

Paul.

I agree with you; we had a 2003 Bailey Pageant Vendee until earlier this year. In 16 years, nothing broke, fell off or wore out and it was as dry as snuff. We looked at a new Pegasus and just did not like the build quality or the cheap attempts at bling. We ended up with a 3 year old Lunar Clubman, which appears to be in a different league to the Bailey.

In answer to your original question, the correct pink glycol used in the Alde heating system is the same as that used in VW group vehicles and is available from Eurocarparts for less than £20 for 5 litres. I intend changing the fluid in our caravan after the last outing of the year, later this month. By all accounts, it is not a quick job unless you have the correct pump that the dealers use, but it appears to be straightforward and I am willing to have a go and save £280. There are videos on YouTube that give you the general idea as to how to do it.

outnumbered Oct 10th, 2019 20:01

Changed the wet system myself ,and used what was on the u tube vid.
Easy enough to do making up my own pump.
Hope this helps.
Watch "Alde coolant change antifreeze change." on YouTube
https://youtu.be/ADhn3cdR954

nu11eaf Nov 6th, 2019 22:28

I used Comma long life concentrated antifreeze, (£19 5ltres) with distilled water, (5ltrs ~ £4) changed it myself without a pump, due again next season (5 years).