Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 T5 Starting problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=243927)

domhart10 Feb 1st, 2016 10:54

S40 T5 Starting problem

Hey guys, not a problem yet but started her up this morning and instead of the nice morning growle and burble .... it started and then felt like it was going to stall then seemed to then be fine (It didnt stall or turn off) I think turned the car off and went to start again and was fine ... no issues.

Anyone had a similar issue at all?

Edit, it sort of felt like it choked but was then fine ... was a bit odd.
(It has new air filter in it as well as new exhaust system and only get to premium fuel in it)

shanec7 Feb 1st, 2016 16:46

I'm having this exact problem with my S40 2.0 D Sport, hard to start on a cold morning, large cloud of white smoke from the exhaust, first turn of the key it will start but bubbles about for a few minutes like its struggling for something (air/fuel?) but actually with a rev and when you start to drive of it seams to sort itself out. I could start the car for up too 4 hours again without any hesitation but over 4 hours or so and it seams to do it again. The possible problems/solutions I've read so far on all the forums I've been on have been

* Glow Plugs (1 plug not working in a cylinder is what I've read is the most likely fix for me I think)
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=238928
(Scroll down this link to just before the pic of the chipped windscreen and read what he has wrote.)

* Fuel Filter

* Fuel Pressure Regulator (Seams to be only on the models up to 2004 that replacing this fixes the problem, 2004 models onward have a fuel pressure sensor but I haven't heard this mention as part of the problem for my car)

* Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) (Throttle Body And IACV cleaning apparently is recommended every 20-40 thousand miles)
Referenced here : http://www.volvo-forums.com/t11201-v...tart-valve.htm
and lastly some one else mentioned to me like the guy in the link above mentions a

* Cold Start Valve (which he put Fuel Injector in brackets beside not sure if thats correct)

I'd be interested to know what other comments you get on here hope we can solve this, I only bought my car on Wednesday and all sorts of problems now with a cold start !!

Trupinelis Feb 1st, 2016 19:28

So my first questions would be how much fuel was at the tank and what was the air temperature.
There is a chance at about -1 to +1 C temperatures that diesel at the tank could create water condensation and that effects rough cold idling. Its better to leave your tank full or near that.
For diesel at cold starts its normal for white smoke (and unburned diesel smell) to come for about 10-15 seconds. And idle should be at about 1000-1200 rmp. And if at cold its more difficult to start the car (when you know you have a good battery and clean battery connections and no problems with starter) you should check the glow plugs (they work about 30-45 seconds after start up). If you see white smoke more than that and you smell diesel standing near exhaust pipe this could indicate overfilling injector.

As for petrol it can be something whit ignition system like damp ignition coil or wires.

Every time it different so i am just guessing :)

shanec7 Feb 12th, 2016 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trupinelis (Post 2051832)
So my first questions would be how much fuel was at the tank and what was the air temperature.
There is a chance at about -1 to +1 C temperatures that diesel at the tank could create water condensation and that effects rough cold idling. Its better to leave your tank full or near that.
For diesel at cold starts its normal for white smoke (and unburned diesel smell) to come for about 10-15 seconds. And idle should be at about 1000-1200 rmp. And if at cold its more difficult to start the car (when you know you have a good battery and clean battery connections and no problems with starter) you should check the glow plugs (they work about 30-45 seconds after start up). If you see white smoke more than that and you smell diesel standing near exhaust pipe this could indicate overfilling injector.

As for petrol it can be something whit ignition system like damp ignition coil or wires.

Every time it different so i am just guessing :)

Sorry for the delay in replying,
I'm gonna try and get a pic up of what I've found last night think it's part ... if not all of the problem gonna find a cable for the phone here just !

Bungo Feb 12th, 2016 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhart10 (Post 2051528)
Hey guys, not a problem yet but started her up this morning and instead of the nice morning growle and burble .... it started and then felt like it was going to stall then seemed to then be fine (It didnt stall or turn off) I think turned the car off and went to start again and was fine ... no issues.

Anyone had a similar issue at all?

Edit, it sort of felt like it choked but was then fine ... was a bit odd.
(It has new air filter in it as well as new exhaust system and only get to premium fuel in it)

As you posted on the 1st I'm assuming the problem is sorted ??????

domhart10 Feb 12th, 2016 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungo (Post 2058577)
As you posted on the 1st I'm assuming the problem is sorted ??????

Yeh it hasn't happened again, I haven't found out what caused it yet. im ordering the below next payday to get them changed

Fuel Filter
Glow Plugs

Not sure how to check the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)?

The fuel injector issue is fine as I will be changing to the Focus RS Injectors. Once ive found out I will update this.

v70stu Feb 12th, 2016 13:27

Your T5 doesn't have glow plugs. Because it's not a diesel.

domhart10 Feb 12th, 2016 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by v70stu (Post 2058661)
Your T5 doesn't have glow plugs. Because it's not a diesel.

hahaha yeh realized that when i tried to order it at work.

Bungo Feb 12th, 2016 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhart10 (Post 2058677)
hahaha yeh realized that when i tried to order it at work.

Ha ha derrrrr. Well, saved a few quid :thumbs_up:

Trupinelis Feb 13th, 2016 14:56

Well you have spark plugs :) Its a good idea to check them too, the tip of all spark plugs should look identical color thru all cylinders :) look at the white ceramic for cracks or melted plastic rubber spots it will indicate a random misfire. Check the spark plug gap too. Just be careful taking them off and tightening them down. You really don't want to break, cross-thread or over-tighten them :)
At school we had a 2007 MB some letter 500 :D it had a little misfire just on cold start and for couple of minutes, than no problem at all, had no fault codes stored. So we took off all sixteen spark plugs (V8 engine double spark plugs coils) and found that one of the sparks had a crack and thru that crack it melted rubber inside of wire so new spark plug and wire. Was fine since then :)