Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New 440 Prospective owner, help on buying! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=41287)

iCraig440 Jul 26th, 2007 19:51

New 440 Prospective owner, help on buying!

Hi,

Firstly am new to the forums to please be gentle with me!

I have recently won an auction on eBay for a 1989 440GLE, and am wanting a few tips what to look out for, as I am picking it up tomorrow!

Is there anythings that are obvious? Or anything really I need to know!

This is the car!

Thanks

Craig

the hoff Jul 26th, 2007 19:55

nope not realy as long as clutch ok no probs reliable as ****e mate just check norm oil water etc then enjoy ...

Clan Jul 26th, 2007 21:17

Nice 115 bhp engine too :-)

iCraig440 Jul 28th, 2007 14:12

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

Just looked at the most recent MOT online and the car had these advisories.

2 of them I don't understand but I assume the brake discs want replacing on the other?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOSA
Advisory Notice issued
Both front macpherson strut worn but not seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)
Both front,runout brake disc slightly worn (3.5.1h)
Both rear trailing arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.3)

Alec Dawe Jul 28th, 2007 19:27

Point !. Worn Macpherson struts?? This is a new one on me, where the hell does a macpherson strut wear so's you'd /notice it??? I could understand if the strut DAMPER (Shock absorber) was a bit weak, but that should have been stated as such , not strut worn. I stand to be corrected, but I'm damned if I can work out where esle a macpherson strut could be worn?? Does the 440 have a strut insert as the shock, or is it a change the whole strut job?

Point 2, yes, new set of discs and pads would be a good idea, nice DIY job!

Point 3. OK, yes , probably the main trailing arm bush on each side is a touch worn, as far as I know on the 440 series this is another not too bad DIY job too?

iCraig440 Jul 28th, 2007 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec Dawe (Post 269232)
Point !. Worn Macpherson struts?? This is a new one on me, where the hell does a macpherson strut wear so's you'd /notice it??? I could understand if the strut DAMPER (Shock absorber) was a bit weak, but that should have been stated as such , not strut worn. I stand to be corrected, but I'm damned if I can work out where esle a macpherson strut could be worn?? Does the 440 have a strut insert as the shock, or is it a change the whole strut job?

Point 2, yes, new set of discs and pads would be a good idea, nice DIY job!

Point 3. OK, yes , probably the main trailing arm bush on each side is a touch worn, as far as I know on the 440 series this is another not too bad DIY job too?

Thought I wasn't going mad then, MOT guy must've been high or drunk!! :cool-smiley-027:

iCraig440 Jul 29th, 2007 19:42

Hmmm, just found out the car has 110k on it not the originally claimed 80,000 miles. Do people reckon this matters? As I've heard older 440's have an appetite for new parts above 100k?:emoticon_U:

Mark480 Jul 29th, 2007 20:49

I'd be negotiating off the final bid price for an error like that but best thing to do is drive it. You'll feel for yourself if anything is wrong! What engine does it have? I think the B18FT has 120 BHP and the B20F has 110 BHP, don't know of one with 115?

the hoff Jul 31st, 2007 17:48

mileage ha ha no probs mines a well abused 186,000 and is still strong ... if in doubt do a cam belt to be safe cheap and easy to do youreself if adept to spanners etcf