Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine mount change ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286491)

Willow place Sep 16th, 2018 18:16

Engine mount change ?

V 70, 2003, D5, Auto, the front mount is knackered (Vacuum) Is it possible to change this to a Normal mount,i.e. basic rubber, the T5 appears to not to have these "special" mounts, the car does not have vibration problems , any cheap ideas please ?

Clan Sep 16th, 2018 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow place (Post 2448179)
V 70, 2003, D5, Auto, the front mount is knackered (Vacuum) Is it possible to change this to a Normal mount,i.e. basic rubber, the T5 appears to not to have these "special" mounts, the car does not have vibration problems , any cheap ideas please ?

The T5 is a very smooth petrol engine , diesels vibrate a lot at lower rpm ..

Joe Harding Sep 16th, 2018 22:51

The front one isn't difficult to replace. For what it's worth put another vac mount in.

Willow place Sep 17th, 2018 15:52

Many other vehicles with a diesel engine do not have these Vacuum mounts and appear to be O.K. What is special with these mounts, as the mount has been disconnected (vacuum pipe) there is no difference ,so surely a cheaper version would still do the job , Just asking !

Clan Sep 17th, 2018 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow place (Post 2448511)
Many other vehicles with a diesel engine do not have these Vacuum mounts and appear to be O.K. What is special with these mounts, as the mount has been disconnected (vacuum pipe) there is no difference ,so surely a cheaper version would still do the job , Just asking !

the rear mount rests on the steering rack , you don't want vibrations going that way into the car .. volvo know best what they are doing :-)

davebb Sep 17th, 2018 16:30

Volvo knows best , apart from using hand brake shoes on the P2s
why did they not use the disk calliper,
Dave

Clan Sep 17th, 2018 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebb (Post 2448525)
Volvo knows best , apart from using hand brake shoes on the P2s
why did they not use the disk calliper,
Dave

volvo have been using handbrake shoes since 1967 with no problems at all . well proven technology . only in the recent years have there been minor problems with shoes that have not been inspected for many years . also materials change , you will never beat a parking brake on a 140 or a 240 for example , sometimes a 2000- 2007 onwards volvo may match it when it top condition ..

cheshired5 Sep 17th, 2018 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow place (Post 2448511)

I've bought Meyle vacuum mounts on a number of occasions, stamped Corteco who make the genuine Volvo one and they perform identically to genuine.
Cheapest I've paid to do the job properly is £38 so exactly how much cheaper are you wanting?

dave c59 Sep 19th, 2018 08:49

As an experiment (to isolate a noise) I ran mine with the vacuum disconnected. There was a significant increase in noise and vibration without it.
I've re-connected it now and the vibration has gone, however the noise is back - it's from a cheap front mount, every time the vacuum is applied the mount hoots like an owl!

Tomoose Sep 19th, 2018 11:32

I recently replaced front and rear vacuum engine mounts with Corteco ones, they even have the Volvo logo ground off them suggesting they are otherwise identical to ones which come in a genuine Volvo box.

Just replace them, you don't want vacuum leaks on a D5 causing boost spikes etc