Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   General: hull dealer sold my car to someone else help please (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=256529)

0162windsurfer Sep 18th, 2016 09:30

hull dealer sold my car to someone else help please

Hi I'm new here and live in Kent I had a verbal agreement with a salesman called bindy at riverside Volvo on the Thursday on a v70 r design 13 plate I did everything I was asked to do gave credit card details to him he wanted £400 deposit and bank transfer following Tuesday the car would be delivered coting me £150 on Thursday , on Sat I got home late phone was phone battery was dead charged it up and found two missed calls and three messages from Neil the manger saying they need my address to take deposit ,then saying your first in line but we have another buyer do you still want car, next one said if you don't ring by 3:30 car will be sold . Rang Neil straight away who says cars no longer mine even though i had believers I had paid a deposit which they hadn't put through and says any verbel agreements mean nothing as no contract .
Is this normal attitude from Volvo selkt dealer I'm going to a solicitor and taking it further any help would be great . I'm not in a great place at the moment and feel really let down it took a lot to commit to paying £17250 and delivery then be told it's not yours I even had a buyer for my old car

Thank shawn

Clan Sep 18th, 2016 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0162windsurfer (Post 2168568)
Hi I'm new here and live in Kent I had a verbal agreement with a salesman called bindy at riverside Volvo on the Thursday on a v70 r design 13 plate I did everything I was asked to do gave credit card details to him he wanted £400 deposit and bank transfer following Tuesday the car would be delivered coting me £150 on Thursday , on Sat I got home late phone was phone battery was dead charged it up and found two missed calls and three messages from Neil the manger saying they need my address to take deposit ,then saying your first in line but we have another buyer do you still want car, next one said if you don't ring by 3:30 car will be sold . Rang Neil straight away who says cars no longer mine even though i had believers I had paid a deposit which they hadn't put through and says any verbel agreements mean nothing as no contract .
Is this normal attitude from Volvo selkt dealer I'm going to a solicitor and taking it further any help would be great . I'm not in a great place at the moment and feel really let down it took a lot to commit to paying £17250 and delivery then be told it's not yours I even had a buyer for my old car

Thank shawn

of course its not normal ! Make an appointment to see the dealer principle himself , not your salesman , explain it to him ... I wouldn't say your phone went flat that sounds a lame excuse .. Not everyone has their mobile phone at their ear 24 hours a day ..

Austin160 Sep 18th, 2016 09:59

General:- Hull dealer sold my car to someone else. Help

Hello Shawn,
I cannot comment on the legality of this, but would suggest you do two things:-

Check that money has not be taken from your account or credit card. You need to do that today, unless you have already confirmed that.
If it has, you need to get it investigated and the card stopped. They will advise you what to do.

If they have not taken money, you can report it to Trading Standards- if you really want to. Personally, I would not bother, and just treat it as a bad experience.

For the next step:-
You want to spend around £17,000 on a car, and if you are prepared to do that without actually seeing the car, then in my mind, you are leaving yourself open to further problems, since you will be trying to deal with people who are hundreds of miles away from you. Not a good situation to be in, and I would suggest you forget about that way of buying a car, unless you are prepared/able to perhaps put up a battle against someone.

I think it would be far better to travel around your local Volvo dealers and actually talk with the salesmen and tell them exactly what you are looking for, and wait for them to come back to you.
It may be old fashioned, but are less risky for you.
Hope some of this helps, but for peace of mind, if your money is still safe then just treat it as a bad experience and move on, rather than attempt to find out what they did is actually legal or not.
Good luck with finding another car.

cheshired5 Sep 18th, 2016 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0162windsurfer (Post 2168568)
I'm not in a great place at the moment

In that case, save yourself the hassle, put it down to experience and move on.
Even if you "win" any argument, you won't have the car you wanted.
The current buyer of your car is also going to have to put it down to experience as I assume you're going to keep your car a little longer and let them down.

Harvey1512 Sep 18th, 2016 11:55

Do you want to complete a deal with this dealer? I wouldn't. Walk away with your money in your pocket and take it elsewhere. Plenty of other dealers out there who will look after you.

purplebargeken Sep 18th, 2016 12:00

All have said the sensible thing. Walk away from it. Make sure your cash is safe and look more locally.

They sound like a shower of a***holes in all honesty.

DaveNP Sep 18th, 2016 14:42

Personal opinion
1 Check with the credit card company whether the money has been taken and if it has tell the credit card company what happened and get them to get it back
2 Go look for another car. The one you wanted wasn't yours until you took possession of it which never happened. You will not get that car nor one exactly like it if you fight the dealer, and you would be hard pressed to show any loss that you might claim compensation for, I doubt 'emotional distress' will get you anywhere.

What they did may not be 'right' but you're better off to draw a line move on rather than let it waste more of your time and energy. And as said, use a different dealer.

NigelDay Sep 18th, 2016 14:42

Report the whole incident to Volvo UK. Name and shame.

capt jack Sep 18th, 2016 15:16

In law a contract doesn't have to be written down to be legally binding. Verbal is enough, and if you took it to law you'd win. If the payment has been taken from your card then the car is most definitely yours. That payment would be regarded as what is called consideration.

You have been wronged.

However, let's get sensible.

As has been said, it's never going to be a good idea to spend £17000 sight unseen on a second-hand car - even a Volvo. In fact I'd say it's a bad idea to part with that much cash in this way. A 2013 car could have all sorts of issues - even if it's come from a main dealer.

If you do make enough fuss, get things reversed and end up buying the car it will have on record an extra owner for a week or two - which will look bad when you come to sell. If Riverside are such numpties as to sell the same car twice then to be honest, would you really trust them again?

No, get real. Chalk it up to experience. There are plenty of second hand cars out there, and plenty of dealers to buy them from.

Good luck with finding the right car.

Cheers

Jack

Bonefishblues Sep 18th, 2016 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2168594)
In that case, save yourself the hassle, put it down to experience and move on.
Even if you "win" any argument, you won't have the car you wanted.
The current buyer of your car is also going to have to put it down to experience as I assume you're going to keep your car a little longer and let them down.

This. Other cars are available.