Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Freebie Amazon project (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=139366)

Gordon Hunter Nov 22nd, 2011 21:54

Freebie Amazon project

5 Attachment(s)
After a strange course of events, I ended up taking on a rather poorly '68 131.
The conditions imposed by 'her indoors' that led to KDX 898F securing prime space in my workshop for the last year were that the car had to be restored from bits I found in the loft, the workshop or stuff I could make myself. Well, naturally I've 'slightly' stretched the boundaries of those conditions, but in spirit have kept to them.
So I find myself a year later having got awfully deep into what was going to be a light 'get it through an MOT' project. In a bid to put some kind of pressure on myself to get the darn thing finished and commisioned as 'Dad's taxi' I'm hoping that posting regular progress reports on the forum will motivate me enough to get on with it.
I have designated Tuesdays as 'Amazon day' so hope you will enjoy watching it progress and of course I will welcome any comments (constructive please!), hints, tips or suggestions.
I am very grateful for Iain Jennings help in some of the trickier fabrications.

I have already tackled the front end but here was roughly the starting point...

Attachment 41414

Attachment 41411

We made a new chassis leg out of 1.5 mm sheet and incorporated the original steering idler bolt strengthening spacer as this had no rot...

Attachment 41412
I gas welded the new section in, keeping the engine crossmember in place as a datum for alignment. This will get removed later on...
Attachment 41413

More later...

Tail Nov 22nd, 2011 22:41

Looks like you have your hands full there. Nice fabrication, wish my skills were up to that :)

Gordon Hunter Nov 23rd, 2011 17:45

5 Attachment(s)
The radiator crossmember was rotten, so I made a new one and spot welded it in to look as original as possible...

Attachment 41426

Attachment 41427

The nose cone scuttle panels were like lace. Iain made the beautiful replacement panels you see in the photos. At this stage, the inner wings were cut out ready for some I found in the loft...

Attachment 41428

Attachment 41429

Tail Nov 23rd, 2011 18:49

those nose scuttle panels are fantastic, what a fabricator he is, mine were ropey as well but i just patched them as they are hidden away behind the front panel under the wing. Keep the pictures coming :thumbs_up:

Gordon Hunter Nov 23rd, 2011 19:25

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the radiator crossmember cover panel I made before it was spotted in. It was clamped and formed over some 10mm plate cut to the same shape...

Attachment 41435

Bulkhead and footwell panels needed a lot of fabricating and repair before the inner wings were replaced...
Attachment 41433

Attachment 41432

Attachment 41434

The inner wings were butt welded in place which was no mean task as previously they had been bodged in with Mig. This required a lot of cleaning up and sorting...
Attachment 41431

Gordon Hunter Nov 23rd, 2011 19:36

2 Attachment(s)
A pair of NOS front wings that had never been fitted before were sourced for free. They had considerable surface rust, but had not started to rot. You could still see the marks from where some ivy had started to grow over them.

As an early birthday present, I sent them off to SPL along with the front panel and had them dipped and stripped.

Here is the car with the inner wings fitted and now the first go at setting up the panel gaps...

Attachment 41436

Attachment 41437

Gordon Hunter Nov 23rd, 2011 20:19

3 Attachment(s)
Moving on to the chassis.
New front outriggers were made from 'Zintec' steel. This is steel that has been annodized with Zinc.

The front footwell panel and the floor was rotten too so I made the panels so they could be spot welded in and then gas welded the footwell panel shut so it looks original. You can see the panel overlaps as original in the freshly painted area just in front of the outrigger...

Attachment 41438

The back of the sill was pretty rotten where it meets the rear wing, so I cut it out and re-made the inner sill and sill back plate. I kept the original sill cover panel and spotted it onto a rear wing front repair panel I found in the loft and then spotted / gassed the joined panel into place. The seams will be lead loaded shut in due course but I will represent the original seams into the face of the lead...

Attachment 41439

Attachment 41440

Gordon Hunter Nov 23rd, 2011 20:32

4 Attachment(s)
The flange at the bottom of the rear wing were it meets the valance panel was full of rust...

Attachment 41441

...so I made a repair section for this...

Attachment 41442

and gassed it in...

Attachment 41444

Gordon Hunter Nov 23rd, 2011 20:41

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to put this in earlier.
Here is the state of the sill before I repaired it...

Attachment 41445

LankyTim Nov 23rd, 2011 20:59

What a wreck! Hats off to you, it looks like this old Volvo has bright future!