Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Headlining for 740 Estate (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277177)

BillSan330 Jan 17th, 2018 22:15

Headlining for 740 Estate

Hello....Does any know or can recommend a company that will re fit a headlining into my 740 GL Estate 1988. The fibre board is still there and ok but the cloth has completely gone.

I live in Middlesex area any help or advise would be regretfully received.

Thanks

Bill

Foggys940 Jan 17th, 2018 22:32

Most people tend to swap the 940 headlining into them as they don't seem to sag.

Prufrock Jan 18th, 2018 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSan330 (Post 2358947)
Hello....Does any know or can recommend a company that will re fit a headlining into my 740 GL Estate 1988. The fibre board is still there and ok but the cloth has completely gone.

I live in Middlesex area any help or advise would be regretfully received.

Thanks

Bill

Easy to recover yourself.

Jon

BillSan330 Jan 19th, 2018 22:04

Does any one know somebody who could do it for me.....down in Middlesex. willing to pay

dan 244 Jan 19th, 2018 23:54

Hi, so the board is still in tact, but the cloth has gone, so you need the board removed and covered in new material, and refitted. That is something I could do, carpet lined a few campers now. Trained as a furniture maker and upholster. But not what I do now though. I live near Norwich so you would have to come to me.

But as above really I guess if a 940 one fits, which I assume it would then why not look for one of those and just get that fitted. I may know where a 940 one may be available, would need to check if it’s ok though.
Has the car got a sunroof?

Hope that helps

bob12 Jan 20th, 2018 00:15

It's just a matter of unscrewing/removing the plastic surrounds that hold up fibre board that you are left with. THe front bar knocks forward towards the screen. The most difficult task is removing the rear view mirror trim!!

There are plenty of guides how to do this simple task (Goggle it - although it does take time and patience). I put up a post a few years ago when I did my Bedouin Tent conversion!!

Then you just wop the replacement up. I did it on my own with supports on a 940 headliner a few years ago from a '94 Celebration.

I took down the existing and just tacked up the 'new' when I went to the guy to get the 'new' one!

The 940's used a different supplier and glue!! .. BUT you might find that depending on roof type that a couple of the roof twist plastic screw fixings are in a different place (easily overcome).

bob12 Jan 20th, 2018 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2359030)
Easy to recover yourself.

Jon
ex Register Keeper 700/900 VOC.

Oh .... get with the plan Jon .. it's a waste of time. Get a good one from a 940. Happy New Year.

Bob :)

bob12 Jan 20th, 2018 15:53

2 Attachment(s)
... and this is what you have to look froward to :)

Prufrock Jan 20th, 2018 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob12 (Post 2359674)
Oh .... get with the plan Jon .. it's a waste of time. Get a good one from a 940. Happy New Year.

Bob :)

Same to you Bob, remiss of me. Now you're suggesting I corrupt my 700 with parts from a 900 ? :-)

Fact is I have to tackle my 744s headliner once the weather improves (!!!), that's the backing board out of the front passenger door and that's after I've removed the seat ! Still an opportunity to sort a few niggles at the same time. Planning to celebrate the 744s 32nd birthday with a little tour down to Cornwall via a few interesting spots en route - might even write it up with photos.

J.

baggy798 Jan 21st, 2018 09:52

That's a lot of petrol to use. Almost the same amount wasted by the chap who travelled last week to buy your rotting away 744. Shame you dicked him about though..