Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Debadging - aftercare (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277970)

Amazed Feb 5th, 2018 20:00

Debadging - aftercare

Hi.

A quick enquiry for all those who have debadged their V40s...

Like the smooth uncluttered look, so the garage that I'm buying the vehicle from will debadge it for me when I collect it,but they have said that sometimes you can still tell that the badge has been there.

I know this can be rectified with a little clean up afterwards and some aftercare,but I'm just wondering what in particular people have used to get rid of the telltale marks. Does the black window surround require any special treatment?

Thanks

Adam.

zapcity1 Feb 6th, 2018 13:18

Hi Adam,

Looks like nobody has debadged their V40 then!

Your garage could well be right.

Unfortunately, debadging is not always 100% successful. My old A3 suffered from the base coat being affected and no amount of polishing the lacquer could correct this. You could always see where the badges had been.

Hopefully, you can just degrease the area (Autosmart tardis, Autoglym Tar remover etc.), and then polish to remove any ghosting of the removed badges. Use something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish if doing by hand (but ideally with a dual action or rotary machine for better results if you know someone who can help).

Acer Feb 7th, 2018 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazed (Post 2366047)
Hi.

A quick enquiry for all those who have debadged their V40s...

Like the smooth uncluttered look, so the garage that I'm buying the vehicle from will debadge it for me when I collect it,but they have said that sometimes you can still tell that the badge has been there.

I know this can be rectified with a little clean up afterwards and some aftercare,but I'm just wondering what in particular people have used to get rid of the telltale marks. Does the black window surround require any special treatment?

Thanks

Adam.

So it is not because you are buying a D2 or T2? That seems to be the main reason people debadge their cars - to hide the fact they are not powerful models. I think cars look odd without badges at the back, as if it has been repaired and not finished properly. To each his own though.

zapcity1 Feb 8th, 2018 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acer (Post 2366803)
So it is not because you are buying a D2 or T2? That seems to be the main reason people debadge their cars - to hide the fact they are not powerful models. I think cars look odd without badges at the back, as if it has been repaired and not finished properly. To each his own though.

Can't agree. Most people debadge as they like the look without badges.

Yes, some people might have debadged their BMW 316i and hoped others thought it was an M3, but you can't hide a single pea shooter exhaust! Some of the most powerful cars on the road are debadged.

My C70 just has the Volvo name on the bootlid remaining. The C70 and D5 badges have been removed. Personally I prefer it, but as you say, each his own. :pea_biggrin9xs:

Amazed Feb 8th, 2018 21:00

Nice to see that there are stuffy members even on here. Got fed up with years of the MX5OC looking down on you because you drove an "import", despite (or probably because of) the fact that it had a better spec than UK models....

H20 VOLVO Feb 19th, 2018 13:58

I can help.

Firstly though, most people who de-badge in the UK (but not all) de-badge because they drive a smaller engine - on the V40 you can't tell the difference between T2 and T5 externally. However, some do debadge as they like the cleaner look and/or actually do drive a T5 etc but don't want to shout about it and get it nicked. It doesn't matter - each to their own.

On the continent, it's pretty much the opposite way round - in Germany, most de-badged motors are high-end models such as 535 or E350. They like the sleeper look.

Anyway, going onto badges on the V40. I think the Volvo badge is best left on, but the V40 and engine number looks ok when removed.

If heated up slightly with a hairdryer, they come off quickly and easily, and then use some WD40 to remove glue residue. The only problem you can have, is where the sun has affected the area, so sometimes you can still see the outline of the badge where paintwork has faded. A polish can get rid of this, but not always. It would depend how old the car was - the older the harder it is to get rid of it.

If you want to do it, just do it and polish up if required. If it leaves an outline, then you can always re-badge though. The actual Volvo lettering is on the black part, so proabably won't be an issue.

Easy job to do yourself or let the garage do it.

GrahamBrown1 Feb 19th, 2018 18:19

All I would say is I would never buy a car that has been de badged. All it says to me is its probably had a hard life been flogged to death to make it go like an m3 or t5 etc.. Most cars you see de badged often have a boy racer fool at the wheel. (Im not calling anyone here a fool just making a general comment from my personal motoring observations) As said each to there own.

H20 VOLVO Feb 20th, 2018 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 (Post 2371164)
All I would say is I would never buy a car that has been de badged. All it says to me is its probably had a hard life been flogged to death to make it go like an m3 or t5 etc.. Most cars you see de badged often have a boy racer fool at the wheel. (Im not calling anyone here a fool just making a general comment from my personal motoring observations) As said each to there own.

Even if was debadged from factory (model deletion)? I kind of know what you are saying, but it's still a sweeping statement.....

For example, would it put you off a 8 month old S60 D3 SE with 3k miles and one owner? Specced out in basic trim and clearly looked after with full tread on front tyres still?

T5Sweep Feb 20th, 2018 17:36

No one I've ever met in the car circle has removed the badges in the hope to fool someone into thinking it's a higher spec motor, it's always been to leave a less cluttered look at the back.

prc68 Feb 20th, 2018 20:29

Here in Portugal we normally have 2 cases:
One as already mentioned, having the less powerful engines, the other is having the less powerful engines and adding the GTi, M or AMG badge...
The second being the more worrying of the 2 IMHO :D

Personally, I like the sleeper look, but have yet to remove the S60 & D5 badges.

Take care,
Paulo