Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   v70 2.5T engine judders when accelerating (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299312)

jimjam54 Oct 7th, 2019 22:52

v70 2.5T engine judders when accelerating

Please Help!
I've a 2007 V70 2.5T, 110K. When accelerating, particularly up hill or under load, the engine judders and the car won't accelerate. Once it was so bad that RPM decayed (eng warning light came on) and engine continued to run rough at Idle. Code said misfire on 2 x cylinders. 2 x coil packs replaced, but no difference. Issue has worsened in last 20K.
Can anyone suggest remedy? Local garage is at a loss as fault codes have not come on since but still same old problem.
Thanks

HankScorpio Oct 8th, 2019 00:09

Im fairly sure one of the massively knowledgeable chaps on here will help out with volvo specific advice, but...

Wife's car had a misfire recently and it turned out to be the leads. You could hear a ticking sound as it discharged. If you know what cylinders it is, you could swap a couple of leads over and give it a try (or wait until its dark and try to see it).

Odd that the code hasn't come up again.

ovlov236 Oct 8th, 2019 14:55

engine juddering

you need to go to a garage which has vida software to diagnose the problem properly

JE Jr Oct 9th, 2019 21:31

Hi!
you mention coils replaced, but what about spark plugs?

I would suggest changing all spark plugs. How much mileage do you have on the spark plugs?

jimjam54 Oct 11th, 2019 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovlov236 (Post 2560923)
you need to go to a garage which has vida software to diagnose the problem properly

I'm not familiar with Vida software so I'll ask. I think that they have a standard diagnostics system as it's a generalist garage...
Many thanks

jimjam54 Oct 11th, 2019 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by JE Jr (Post 2561368)
Hi!
you mention coils replaced, but what about spark plugs?

I would suggest changing all spark plugs. How much mileage do you have on the spark plugs?

Yup plugs were all done once the trouble began so it's not that. Issue gets much worse if I've been accelerating hard; it's pretty much all the time now when I'm anything more than very gentle acceleration...a real pain and I'm trying to resist taking it to Volvo!
Thanks

HankScorpio Oct 11th, 2019 22:15

There is another thread somewhere asking about volvo garages near Peterborough. I know it's a trek across the Fens, but I went to Wright's in Attleborough the other day and I was very happy with the service and what they were telling me.

There may be someone closer, but these are an independent and I came away trusting that they knew what they were doing and wouldn't rip me off. Might be worth a trip. I had them plug mine into Vida and run me through the results.

There is also a guy on here called Cherished5. I bought the Vida and dice from him and will get my computer sorted soon to get it up and running. You could have a bash yourself if you're that way inclined.

davebb Oct 11th, 2019 22:20

hasn't the garage got a oscilloscope so you can see if it is the coils or plugs,
The codes do not mean that that part has failed , it could be the wiring loom connecting to that part,
Dave

barrybritcher Oct 11th, 2019 23:50

do a compression test yourself and inspect the leads and plugs while you are at it.

if you can change plugs you can do a compression test - DIY

jimjam54 Oct 12th, 2019 07:19

Many thanks for the info guys; really helpful. I'll follow up and see where it gets me.