Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 Display Screen Problem. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=63778)

tem Jan 2nd, 2009 15:18

XC60 Display Screen Problem.

I have a problem with the Display Screen for the Sat Nav/Reversing Camera.

After the car has been idle (overnight for example), the display screen, when activated, by either selecting reverse gear or switching the sat nav on, goes pink/mauve in colour, for several seconds and then goes black again. It can take between 1 to 2 minutes, before a picture appears. After this, everything is fine.

Cannot get in contact with local Volvo Service Dept, until Monday and was wondering if anyone can point a finger, to possible cause of problem?

Local temperatures, over the last week have been down to around -5C and my first thought, is, something needs to heat up, before the display works correctly. But having owned two XC90s with Sat Nav and never experianced a problem like this before, makes me think, that a fault has developed in a modual, common to the two applications.

Many thanks.

tem.

Ron_XC90 Jan 2nd, 2009 21:45

Hi Tem,

It does sound like a temperature related fault with either the screen itself or the electronics behind it...

Clan Jan 2nd, 2009 21:56

LCD screens really dont like the cold , They are slow to react ,there is probably not a lot wrong with it . I assume the Backlight warms it up a bit after a short while and all is ok ..

tem Jan 3rd, 2009 16:55

+5C today and everything worked ok.

Seems a bit odd that the screen is so temperature sinsitive, as I would not say -5C, is that cold.
Will keep a check on it and see what happens.

tem.

RoyMacDonald Jan 4th, 2009 20:53

LCD screens use a fluorecent tube for the backlight normally, and you know how they are very slow to warm up in the cold, so my guess is Clan is right.

Roy

Clan Jan 4th, 2009 21:07

They used to but most are LED's now ,
the temperature affects how fast the crystals can move in their liquid ..

RoyMacDonald Jan 6th, 2009 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 444137)
They used to but most are LED's now ,
the temperature affects how fast the crystals can move in their liquid ..

Do you mean for very small screens Clan? Their are very few LED LCD displays on the market and they cost an arm and a leg. Even I haven't been prepared to put my hand in my pocke for one yet. ;-) The screen I'm using at the moment has a special squiggly fluorecent back light and that cost £900 for a 24 inch but which is still far less than an LED lit screen.

All the best.

Roy

Clan Jan 6th, 2009 18:34

Yes i was thinking small screens , The V50/S40 dispay screen is lit by LED's ...

RoyMacDonald Jan 6th, 2009 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 445024)
Yes i was thinking small screens , The V50/S40 dispay screen is lit by LED's ...

I did just buy a new TomTom and I have noticed the screen is easier to read in sunlight than the old one. Maybe that's the reason?

All the best.
Roy

tem Jan 12th, 2009 16:44

Got plugged in at the garage today and sure enough they found a fault code, relating to intermittent failure of the display unit.

This information and my detailed description of the fault, are off to Volvo, to find out if a software upgrade is required, or the display unit has to be replaced.

They agreed with me, that Volvo's are built for extreme climates and 0C, should have no affect on any component.

Hopefully, getting somewhere now.

tem.