Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Volvo Warranty (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294127)

nu11eaf Apr 23rd, 2019 16:58

Volvo Warranty

I have just taken out a further years Volvo warranty, (£445) my XC90 will be 3 years old in june, I wanted a further 2 years as I plan on keeping this car for 5 years but they do not offer a 2 year plan but said before this one expires I will be offered a further years warranty.
I already have the 5 years service plan purchased for £500 when new, which was a no brainer.
Peace of mind now. For now at least.

ergonomist Apr 23rd, 2019 17:08

Unless it's just changed, they do offer a two-year plan (I took one out at the beginning of March - like you, I plan to keep my car for 5 years) - it's just that you can't get it via the website for some reason. I had to buy it through my dealer. But it wasn't any cheaper than two one-year extensions (it just avoids any potential increase in the cost in 12 months time).

nu11eaf Apr 23rd, 2019 19:57

Yes it was to avoid increase in price I wanted the two years. I did mine over the phone instead of the website because the website only offered one year but when I asked for two years they told me they only did one year and will offer another year as this is due to run out, probably to get more money out of me as price will most likely have risen and car older too.

AB-UK Apr 23rd, 2019 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2515425)
I have just taken out a further years Volvo warranty, (£445) my XC90 will be 3 years old in june, I wanted a further 2 years as I plan on keeping this car for 5 years but they do not offer a 2 year plan but said before this one expires I will be offered a further years warranty.
I already have the 5 years service plan purchased for £500 when new, which was a no brainer.
Peace of mind now. For now at least.

£745 for 12mth extended Volvo warranty on my 2010 XC90.

Quacker Apr 23rd, 2019 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2515502)
£745 for 12mth extended Volvo warranty on my 2010 XC90.

On a nine year old car. Has it many exclusion clauses? It has probably cost something approaching £3500 to have a warranty from the end of the third year to the end of the ninth, so has it paid out anything so far?

MOzS90 Apr 23rd, 2019 21:44

Are the extended warranties exactly the same cover as the factory warranties? I thought they were provided by a third party company??? Not Volvo. That’s right isn’t it?

Can you still get everything done no questions asked at a main dealer????

ergonomist Apr 23rd, 2019 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2515494)
I did mine over the phone instead of the website because the website only offered one year but when I asked for two years they told me they only did one year and will offer another year as this is due to run out, probably to get more money out of me as price will most likely have risen and car older too.

When I tried to do it over the phone I was told that I had to do it through the dealer if I wanted two years. I think there's something to do with the fact that it's an insurance policy and they have to do the whole FSA fact-finding bit (the dealer was a bit grumpy about having to do it that way). I wonder whether there's some sort of threshold that a 2yr policy exceeds... No idea if I'm honest...

ergonomist Apr 23rd, 2019 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOzS90 (Post 2515533)
Are the extended warranties exactly the same cover as the factory warranties? I thought they were provided by a third party company??? Not Volvo. That’s right isn’t it?

You're right - it's administered by Car Care Plan although it seems to be Volvo-specific Ts and Cs. Not had to claim anything so no idea how well it works - apart from the usual consumable exclusions, the only notable one that jumped out at me was 'hoses' are excluded. But most other stuff seems to be covered (touch wood...)

nu11eaf Apr 23rd, 2019 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOzS90 (Post 2515533)

It is called Volvo Warranty on Volvo headed paper but it will be underwritten, the contact is Volvo@warranty-admin.com.
There are a few clauses and exceptions mainly fair wear and tear and consumable items and car must be maintained and serviced correctly but all major components and electrical item are covered, if any warranty work is required the dealer contacts the volvo warranty admin to authorise the work and they pay the dealer direct. The same as original warranty work.
Cover is upto the full value of the vehicle when new, for all parts and labour, unlimited number of claims, recovery, accommodation and replacement vehicle costs and continental cover, and consequential damage cover to help cover costs on non covered items.

familymangreg Apr 24th, 2019 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergonomist (Post 2515551)
You're right - it's administered by Car Care Plan although it seems to be Volvo-specific Ts and Cs. Not had to claim anything so no idea how well it works - apart from the usual consumable exclusions, the only notable one that jumped out at me was 'hoses' are excluded. But most other stuff seems to be covered (touch wood...)

Lol, 'hoses' that doesn't surprise me, I've had a PowerPulse and turbo intercooler hose replaced in < 3 years / 34k miles. For ecological and cost saving measures, Volvo manufacture their hoses from paper drink straws.

Bit concerning. Maybe its common I don't know, never had an extended warranty before, has anyone else seen hoses excluded in a extended warranty?

:wq