Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Brake Discs (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318528)

rsymes2k Jul 20th, 2021 19:32

Brake Discs

Hi everyone,

Appear to have some extreme warp on my front discs on my 2004 xc90 d5

Any recommendations on discs? Seen a pair of Mintex on eBay for £80 which looks a deal compared to £150 for genuine ?

Thanks
Rob

TruckbusUK Jul 20th, 2021 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsymes2k (Post 2755171)
Hi everyone,

Appear to have some extreme warp on my front discs on my 2004 xc90 d5

Any recommendations on discs? Seen a pair of Mintex on eBay for £80 which looks a deal compared to £150 for genuine ?

Thanks
Rob

TBH buy genuine Volvo disks, they don't get much better IMO ... plenty of deals from genuine Volvo dealers on eBay, or just visit and ask for a discount, most will oblige.

owenfackrell Jul 20th, 2021 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckbusUK (Post 2755185)
TBH buy genuine Volvo disks, they don't get much better IMO ... plenty of deals from genuine Volvo dealers on eBay, or just visit and ask for a discount, most will oblige.

Having been down the route of cheaper than genuine ones before the longer lasting and the fact that no of the genuine ones have warped.
I’m on my third XC90 and with the second it needed new discs when we bought it and the dealer fitted non genuine, they showed signs of warping and had a very noticeable lip by 25k miles at that point I swapped them for genuine and they went on till we sold the car covering at least 50k miles. I have also just replaced the ones on our current XC90 with genuine ones and I got them via a dealer on eBay with pads for a dry good price of £175 all in.

Harley Dave Jul 20th, 2021 23:19

+1 for genuine from an eBay listing from a pukka Volvo dealer. (Caffyns Eastbourne)

They had a special deal on at the time and I bought front discs and pads, (£167.40 + £11.50 p & p) and, while I was at it, rear discs, pads and shoes and adjusters (£198.32 + £9.99 p & p)

Fronts were changed at the time (2 years ago) rears are still OK but, when needed, I'm ready.

Cheers

Dave

Tannaton Jul 20th, 2021 23:20

Volvo still cast their own discs for the XC90, if you buy genuine you will notice they are made in Sweden. There are so many poor quality pattern parts around made from melted down washing machines and Fiat Panda's (including Mintex of which I have personal experience). Genuine discs are the only way you know they will be okay. Your XC90 weighs 2.3 tons and is very hard on brakes.

Every couple of months we get new members on here with brake problems which are eventually cured by fitting new, genuine parts.

Kev0607 Jul 21st, 2021 10:15

As others have said, I agree to sticking with genuine.

I fitted Pagid to my car, as I’ve used them in the past on other vehicles. They’re warped already… wish I spent the extra & went genuine the first time around. Lesson learned.

Lucien Jul 23rd, 2021 17:41

+1 for genuine. The non-Volvo ones just warp. You'll have to take them off again, like I did.

Regards
Lucien

Kev0607 Jul 24th, 2021 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2755309)
As others have said, I agree to sticking with genuine.

I fitted Pagid to my car, as I’ve used them in the past on other vehicles. They’re warped already… wish I spent the extra & went genuine the first time around. Lesson learned.

Funnily enough, I mentioned that my front discs had warped to my local independent. He asked what brand I used & I said Pagid… His response was they were junk & just aren’t up to the job. Its a heavy car, use the proper discs (genuine) that were designed to be used on the car & they won’t warp like the aftermarket ones do in a short period of time.

Simmy Jul 24th, 2021 23:38

alfred teves ATE a branch of continental group make the discs . volvo.do not make brake components they are all bought in even at the factory where cars are assembled

Tannaton Jul 25th, 2021 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2756487)
alfred teves ATE a branch of continental group make the discs . volvo.do not make brake components they are all bought in even at the factory where cars are assembled

Volvo do have a foundry in Sweden and in the past month I’ve unpacked and fitted Volvo discs to XC60 and XC90 labelled made in Sweden and Skovde... Continental do not have a brake manufacturing plant in Sweden.