Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Crank Position Sensor .... technique? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285090)

Stephen Edwin Aug 9th, 2018 11:43

Crank Position Sensor .... technique?

There's a thread downstairs in the 700/900 section of the forum....how to replace the CPS. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285082

1. Is that methodology fully easily applied and transferable to be re the 240?

2. Will a 10mm ratchet spanner do the job on a 240?

3. There's also a comment downstairs about lie on top of the engine and use one's left hand to wield the ratchet spanner. Is that the or a good modus of approach to get at that fixing screw/bolt on a 240?

I'm asking now in case of need. Time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted.

AlexO Aug 9th, 2018 12:40

Stephen,

I'm not sure about the size of the bolt head but when I did mine I found that the appropriate socket on a short extension, UJ, long extension then ratchet was enough to get mine out. I was able to lean in from the passenger side and locate the socket on the bolt with one hand whilst manipulating the ratchet with the other. This was on a B230F with LH2.4 though so it only required one bolt to get it out, if you're removing the bracket from the bell housing I think it might be more complex.

Hope that helps,

Alex

Stephen Edwin Aug 9th, 2018 17:06

Alex mine is also B200F and LH 2.4 thanks.

I have just explored and as you say. Standing beside the open engine bay on the passenger side I could locate the CPS by hand, by touch, by feel.

It hides approximately behind the engine oil level dipstick tube.

I suspect the machine screw or bolt could be undone and done up again with a ratchet spanner.

Or perhaps with a 1/4" or 3/8" short flex handled ratchet. Possibly a deep socket. Or a very short extension.

I am tempted to change the CPS and keep the existing one as a spare in the car. I'm cogitating.

classicswede Aug 9th, 2018 19:28

same method but a lot less room to do it in

Dirty Rooster Aug 9th, 2018 21:20

I own a 10mm ratchet spanner but would not use it for my CPS bolt.
I use a tiny solid 10mm ring spanner.
The bolt does not need many turns to get loose enough for just fingers,
and down there in the oily depths space is at a premium.

Stephen Edwin Aug 9th, 2018 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster (Post 2435633)
I own a 10mm ratchet spanner but would not use it for my CPS bolt.
I use a tiny solid 10mm ring spanner.
The bolt does not need many turns to get loose enough for just fingers,
and down there in the oily depths space is at a premium.

Thank you.

And. If I remember correctly from previous posts, you have done the job more than once so you speak from more than one experience.

Is your tiny solid ring spanner especially short, stubby, or just ordinary?

Clifford Pope Aug 10th, 2018 10:19

I strongly second a small ring spanner, approached from the passenger side as recommended. If you can feel the bolt with your right hand then you can accurately guide the spanner in and locate it. Once you've moved it half a turn you can probably extract it with your fingers.

If you are really having difficulties (I've got slim hands) then you could loosen the gearbox cross-member bolts and gain 1/2".

Warning tip:
DON'T DROP THE BOLT.
If it's a forced roadside job be especially careful.
While you have the bolt out match a spare for next time just in case.
For replacing you could use a small socker and blutack just to hold it securely and get it finger-tight.

Secure the cable properly, and route it so it doesn't stretch or rub on something as the engine rocks.

Dirty Rooster Aug 18th, 2018 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin (Post 2435639)
Thank you.

And. If I remember correctly from previous posts, you have done the job more than once so you speak from more than one experience.

Is your tiny solid ring spanner especially short, stubby, or just ordinary?

Sorry for the late reply.
As far as I know most 10mm ring spanners are tiny.
If I needed a big 'un I'd be stumped. :shocked:

Clan Aug 18th, 2018 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin (Post 2435408)
There's a thread downstairs in the 700/900 section of the forum....how to replace the CPS. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285082

1. Is that methodology fully easily applied and transferable to be re the 240?

2. Will a 10mm ratchet spanner do the job on a 240?

3. There's also a comment downstairs about lie on top of the engine and use one's left hand to wield the ratchet spanner. Is that the or a good modus of approach to get at that fixing screw/bolt on a 240?

I'm asking now in case of need. Time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted.

Not sure which year 240 you have but the early ones with flywheel sensors , ( 1984-5 ? ) you have to take the gearbox out to change it .

classicswede Aug 18th, 2018 22:42

There is no need at all to pull the gearbox to change flywheel sensor on a 240