Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   HELP! ABS torx bolts stripped - plan B? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=337486)

liammedler Jan 12th, 2024 11:45

HELP! ABS torx bolts stripped - plan B?

My 1996 850 T5 is due it's MOT next month and the ABS module needs re-soldering (light goes out in v cold weather, comes on as soon as it's warm).

I've tried removing the unit but can only get the top 2 bolts undone, it looks like the bottom 2 are stripped and won't move. I've tried E5, E4, 4mm and 5/32 bits to no avail, even with some penetrating fluid (although they are very hard to get to)

I've made sure the last 2 MOTs have been on as cold a day as possible in February but I feel my luck may run out this year - any engine management lights on will be an automatic MOT fail

What can I do now? Any help gratefully received!

4x4 Jan 12th, 2024 11:53

Irwin bolt extractors might get it out if they have one in the correct size

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...SAAEgJMOPD_BwE

SteveSarre Jan 12th, 2024 17:07

Hi Liam

I am not familiar with 850s, only V70s.

How easy is it to remove the whole pump unit (with the module still attached)? That would certainly make it easier to get at those 2 bolts.

Steve

Baffler Jan 12th, 2024 19:18

Hang on...hang on...before you remove the module perhaps reading the codes will give you a better idea of what's going on? It may not need to be re-soldered. Have a search in here for Duke1 and Luxobarge's recent ABS threads.

P.S. Rule of thumb...always remove the most difficult one first! 😂

4x4 Jan 12th, 2024 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffler (Post 2931129)
…P.S. Rule of thumb...always remove the most difficult one first! 😂

Sod’s law rules the most difficult to remove is ALWAYS the last one…

Luxobarge Jan 12th, 2024 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffler (Post 2931129)
Have a search in here for Duke1 and Luxobarge's recent ABS threads.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but in the end mine DID actually turn out to be solder joints on the ABS module. Been solid as a rock since I soldered it properly.

Just saying....:teeth_smile:

Baffler Jan 13th, 2024 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4 (Post 2931131)
Sod’s law rules the most difficult to remove is ALWAYS the last one…

Yeap...reaches for the cordless angle grinder :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luxobarge (Post 2931149)
I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but in the end mine DID actually turn out to be solder joints on the ABS module. Been solid as a rock since I soldered it properly.

Just saying....:teeth_smile:

Absolutely! And brilliant to read you've had good results from re-soldering! I just wanted to highlight to Liam, seeing as he has an 850, it could be something like the brake light switch as Duke1 discovered with his.

Luxobarge Jan 13th, 2024 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffler (Post 2931177)
I just wanted to highlight to Liam, seeing as he has an 850, it could be something like the brake light switch as Duke1 discovered with his.

Yep, agree. As you may remember, first thing I did with mine was to get the ELM dongle and 850 app and read the codes - turned out that I was forever getting left and right rear sensor codes, which I was told tend to be a sort of "default" code when there's something deeper going on, and so it turned out. There was nothing wrong with the rear sensors, just broken solder joints, which could clearly be seen to be cracked under a bright light and a magnifying glass. My point being, that if the OP gets other codes that are pointing him in a different direction (such as brake pedal switch as you say) then that may well be the fault and not the ECU after all. Without reading the codes one is just guessing really, and that dongle and the app cost the princely sum of £21.50 all in, so a no-brainer...

Cheers! :teeth_smile:

liammedler Jan 13th, 2024 15:11

Can you recommend a dingle, Luxobarge? I have one (v1.5) that didn't work with the 850 app

4x4 Jan 13th, 2024 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by liammedler (Post 2931203)
Can you recommend a dingle, Luxobarge? I have one (v1.5) that didn't work with the 850 app

This one works…