Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   XC90 WANTED; Roadtrip to it's Homeland!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293874)

oli1092 Apr 14th, 2019 23:21

XC90 WANTED; Roadtrip to it's Homeland!!

Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first Volvo!

I'm in the market for an early XC90 (due to my budget; upto £4K), I'm pretty flexible on the mileage providing it's had all the major servicing and belt changes etc.

I've been to look at several 90's at used car garages and they've all been a little ropey for my liking.
I'd love to pick up a 1 owner vehicle, something that's been a family workhorse would be ideal.

I am planning a roadtrip around Scandinavia this summer and will be travelling approximately 4000 miles so reliability is key!
Is there anything I should be particularly wary of?

Thanks in advance!
Oli

XC90Mk1 Apr 15th, 2019 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli1092 (Post 2512978)
Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first Volvo!

I'm in the market for an early XC90 (due to my budget; upto £4K), I'm pretty flexible on the mileage providing it's had all the major servicing and belt changes etc.

I've been to look at several 90's at used car garages and they've all been a little ropey for my liking.
I'd love to pick up a 1 owner vehicle, something that's been a family workhorse would be ideal.

I am planning a roadtrip around Scandinavia this summer and will be travelling approximately 4000 miles so reliability is key!
Is there anything I should be particularly wary of?

Thanks in advance!
Oli

Yes, there is a huge amount you should be weary off however that depends on your ownership view. If you are willing to undertake the maintenance yourself (as I do) and purchase a laptop with the Volvo VIdA dice then you are probably in a great market, try to add a little to it and accept that you will need to change the auto box fluid, axle fluid, aoc or transfer fluid, all filters. They are heavy on bushes, steering and suspension components etc.

My advice however would not be to start down this path if you do not intend to do the mechanics yourself. You will pay more than the purchase price is a couple of years in maintinance and servicing in all likely hood if you send it to the garages.

XC90Mk1 Apr 15th, 2019 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2513004)
Yes, there is a huge amount you should be weary off however that depends on your ownership view. If you are willing to undertake the maintenance yourself (as I do) and purchase a laptop with the Volvo VIdA dice then you are probably in a great market, try to add a little to it and accept that you will need to change the auto box fluid, axle fluid, aoc or transfer fluid, all filters. They are heavy on bushes, steering and suspension components etc.

My advice however would not be to start down this path if you do not intend to do the mechanics yourself. You will pay more than the purchase price is a couple of years in maintinance and servicing in all likely hood if you send it to the garages.

You will need to check the splined outlet sleeve on a model that old. Get under the car when stationary and in park and rotate the prop shaft. If it turns the 4x4 is failed. Also try a fast start on wet grass and see if the rear drives.

Check engine mounts, suspension bushings and have a lot of research on here.

4K for a 90 is no Money at al and for each good one there will be many many bad ones that can be money pits.