Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Another PowerPulse blowout... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301539)

scw Dec 14th, 2019 16:14

Another PowerPulse blowout...

Well, a first first for me but hardly a first for the forum.

If anyone's curious what it sounds like when it lets go, my dash cam caught the event:

https://vimeo.com/379450058

Checking under the bonnet, the hose just blew off the end of the metal spigot adjacent to the inlet valve/turbo on the right-hand side of the engine. The crimp is still intact on the end of the hose.

Fortunately no damage to any other parts. Just annoyed that it needs yet another dealer visit.

Steve

Haldex Dec 14th, 2019 18:52

What I don’t understand is - at the speed you were driving at the PP system doesn’t activate.. why would the compressor be pumping air?! It sure seems there’s an issue with pressure control/compressor kill switch.. Volvo seems to be dealing with consequences rather than tackling the cause..

Tresco85 Dec 14th, 2019 20:23

We had a loud bang and a hissing sound like that coming down the M6 March last year which I presume was probably the hose but only found out a few weeks ago when it was serviced, if that is what it was they didn't pick it up on the service last year.

Wizzpop Dec 14th, 2019 20:39

I don't have the problem, but my daughter's partner does. His has been in for replacement, I think 6 times. Apparently Volvo wanted to charge him for extended warranty to cover any future failures. He has threatened to take them to court for supplying a car not fit for purpose. The more of you who follow to Volvo UK, not through the dealer, you may (!) get a better response. Apparently the Chinese owners are getting tighter on cost.

scw Dec 15th, 2019 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haldex (Post 2580788)
What I don’t understand is - at the speed you were driving at the PP system doesn’t activate..

Quite. We'd just pulled away from a set of lights, but with traffic in front it was a fairly pedestrian start, so PP was not active.

The PP plumbing is not fit for purpose, and Volvo is going to find itself in hot water when all those D5s are out of warranty.

Steve

Clan Dec 15th, 2019 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haldex (Post 2580788)
What I don’t understand is - at the speed you were driving at the PP system doesn’t activate.. why would the compressor be pumping air?! It sure seems there’s an issue with pressure control/compressor kill switch.. Volvo seems to be dealing with consequences rather than tackling the cause..

There is always about 250 psi in the hose as the control valve is on the end ...

Crockers Dec 15th, 2019 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzpop (Post 2580824)
I don't have the problem, but my daughter's partner does. His has been in for replacement, I think 6 times. Apparently Volvo wanted to charge him for extended warranty to cover any future failures. He has threatened to take them to court for supplying a car not fit for purpose. The more of you who follow to Volvo UK, not through the dealer, you may (!) get a better response. Apparently the Chinese owners are getting tighter on cost.

I had a Mercedes V6 diesel that ate turbos seals. The first one was replaced under warranty. The second went in France for which I paid. My dealer gave me a cheque for it. The 3rd went 2 months after the warranty ended. 6 months after the French fiasco. I was in York and the dealer there said I’d have to pay. £650. I called my dealer in Swindon who got onto Mercedes and it was done free of charge. I then had a letter from Mercedes saying if any more go I would have to pay 10% then it would be covered under the parts warranty for 2 years.

To make matters worse a big end bearing went at 90,000 miles. Mercedes said that should never happen so they contributed 50% of the cost. Warranty Direct the rest.

Now that’s what I call a garage treating the customer right and supported by the manufacturer.

Haldex Dec 15th, 2019 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2580932)
There is always about 250 psi in the hose as the control valve is on the end ...

Sure, yes- but assuming there’s no leaks or that leaks are minimal- and that a car is moving at constant speed (open road, as far as I can tell from the video..) - no conditions are met for the PP to activate- hence why would the bloody compressor be pumping more air into the system?? I’m just boggled..

Btw, when you google “power pulse” you get the following recommendations from google.. :rolleyes:

https://i.ibb.co/HgR0dC4/626-F3546-8...400022-A60.jpg

Clan Dec 15th, 2019 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haldex (Post 2581106)
Sure, yes- but assuming there’s no leaks or that leaks are minimal- and that a car is moving at constant speed (open road, as far as I can tell from the video..) - no conditions are met for the PP to activate- hence why would the bloody compressor be pumping more air into the system?? I’m just boggled..

Btw, when you google “power pulse” you get the following recommendations from google.. :rolleyes:

https://i.ibb.co/HgR0dC4/626-F3546-8...400022-A60.jpg

there is a reservoir tank on the other side , the pump keeps the tank pumped up to 250 psi ... at low rpm it dumps the tank into the turbo , then it refills and shuts off until the next time so there is always 250 psi in the hose .

Haldex Dec 15th, 2019 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2581120)
there is a reservoir tank on the other side , the pump keeps the tank pumped up to 250 psi ... at low rpm it dumps the tank into the turbo , then it refills and shuts off until the next time so there is always 250 psi in the hose .

Right, and that’s how I understand it should work. Now if you’ve been riding at constant speed for a while- ie. the tank is full- why would the pump be adding more air to the system? Also- who in the world would design such a setup without a safety blowoff valve?!

This is the first actual video of a blowout that I have seen- and up until now I have been assuming that it blows shortly after a quick acceleration- ie. when pump is working at the max.