Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   440 immobiliser (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=1970)

Eva Martin Sep 10th, 2004 23:30

440 immobiliser

I have just lost my only key fob which controls the immobiliser.
I think I threw it in the bin by mistake and the dustbin men came this morning!
I've a spare key, so I can get into the car, but can't start the engine with out immobilising the immobiliser.

Can anyone help? Is there any way to disarm the immobiliser other than calling a dealer and paying though the nose?

Peter Milnes Sep 11th, 2004 01:38

RE: 440 immobiliser

According to Haynes the immobiliser (post January 1995 models) can only be deactivated by the key fob. It is incorporated into the Central Locking system and cuts ignition,starter and fuelpump circuits. The reccomendation from Haynes is to take it to a dealer who will supply a new fob and do the necessary to set it for the car.

The dealer should have the necessary test gear to sort it out.

However you could try and see if this will work: unlock the car and disconnect the battery for about an hour (remember your radio code before you do) then reconnect the battery and see if the immobiliser/alarm has been reset to unoperated condition enabling the car to be started and run OK. If this fails then you will have to resort to the dealer.

All the best, Peter

drivesavolvo Sep 14th, 2004 21:45

Hi, yes you can bypass the immobiliser on some 400 models. You will find the keyless entry module under the dashboard on the drivers side of the car. Locate it and remove the unit from its frame WITHOUT disconnecting the wires. Remove the smaller of the 2 plugs and try to start the car. On SOME models this will work and still allow you to centrally lock the car with the remote. Take the car straight to the 'agents' and have them supply and code a new key fob.
The fob is approx £45.00 + VAT but i am unsure of the coding cost.

Regards. Keith

Eva Martin Sep 20th, 2004 18:07

Thanks very much to both of you for your advice. Luckily our neighbour had found our key fob on the ground and had kept it for me. Going to go out and get another key fob as soon as possible. Do you know if it is possible to program a new key fob using an original key fob?

Thanks very much!!
Eva.

carl4u44 Nov 27th, 2009 17:58

Yes you can reprogramme your fob.

Place the test cable into socket 1.

Turn the ignition on to Key Position 2.

Enter Diagnostic Test Mode 5 by pressing the button five times for about half a second each time.

The LED will flash and stay lit up, waiting for you to enter the code: 3-3-4

Press the button 3 times, then it will stay lit

Press the button 3 times again, it will stay lit,

Press the button 4 times and finally hitting the lock/unlock buttons,

It will flash back 1-1-x, x being the number of key fobs programmed (up to 4 at one time).

It can be tricky but keep trying. Youll need to turn off your ignition to test the fob after this.

When you get into the swing of entering these codes the diagnostic tool will talk back!

heres the link I used to help me, but the hardest part is getting into the rythem of typing in the codes inorder to get a respone etc.

http://www.am.torun.pl/%7Eja/volvo/a...obilizer.shtml

murraysr Feb 28th, 2016 09:44

volvo 440 immobiliser bypass

Hi, I have an N reg 440. The battery died (due to a loose battery connection I think) and I kept pressing unlock on the key fob to try to start it; not long afterwards the key fob became completely inoperative. That was 2 weeks ago. I tried a lot of things, sorned it and was about to phone the scrap man...but this is what finally worked:

Take out the "immobiliser" fuse - 7th from the right in the top row of fuses on my car. This allows the key to turn to position 3 and turn the starter, and operates the fuel pump (I could smell the petrol), but the engine won't fire. Disconnecting one or both plugs from the keyless entry module didn't work on my model.

To get the ignition to work, take out the glove box lining. Tucked in behind it, on the right hand side, is a long relay. Pull it off, and connect a wire across the two opposite terminals that are at right angles to each other. This effectively switches the relay on. And the engine started. I don't need the fob any more. But there is now no central locking.

Hope this helps.

marcofshj Jan 5th, 2019 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by murraysr (Post 2068597)
Hi, I have an N reg 440. The battery died (due to a loose battery connection I think) and I kept pressing unlock on the key fob to try to start it; not long afterwards the key fob became completely inoperative. That was 2 weeks ago. I tried a lot of things, sorned it and was about to phone the scrap man...but this is what finally worked:

Take out the "immobiliser" fuse - 7th from the right in the top row of fuses on my car. This allows the key to turn to position 3 and turn the starter, and operates the fuel pump (I could smell the petrol), but the engine won't fire. Disconnecting one or both plugs from the keyless entry module didn't work on my model.

To get the ignition to work, take out the glove box lining. Tucked in behind it, on the right hand side, is a long relay. Pull it off, and connect a wire across the two opposite terminals that are at right angles to each other. This effectively switches the relay on. And the engine started. I don't need the fob any more. But there is now no central locking.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I unplugged the immobiliser fuses which allowed the engine to turn over, but I can’t figure out the second part with the wire across the relay. Do you by any chance have any photos of the relay you’re talking about? Would really appreciate your help right now! Hoping that you still visit this forum...

Thanks

ciderman Jan 7th, 2019 18:09

Immobiliser anxiety

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcofshj (Post 2481839)
Hi, I unplugged the immobiliser fuses which allowed the engine to turn over, but I can’t figure out the second part with the wire across the relay. Do you by any chance have any photos of the relay you’re talking about? Would really appreciate your help right now! Hoping that you still visit this forum...

Thanks

I am watching with interest- we have recently bought a P reg 440 1.8 and it will only start if I switch the central locking on and off. 4 years ago my wife's 2.0 cd (wonderful car) turned itself off and after months of tearing it apart trying to find the bloody thing we scrapped the car. Volvorama had a 440 which an auto spark had adapted to start using a rocker switch to energise the car and a button to start it. he had removed the ignition barrel so the key was only used to open doors- which is sensible.... have just bought some more 2016 batteries for the fob... let me know how you get on.

marcofshj Jan 10th, 2019 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciderman (Post 2482523)
I am watching with interest- we have recently bought a P reg 440 1.8 and it will only start if I switch the central locking on and off. 4 years ago my wife's 2.0 cd (wonderful car) turned itself off and after months of tearing it apart trying to find the bloody thing we scrapped the car. Volvorama had a 440 which an auto spark had adapted to start using a rocker switch to energise the car and a button to start it. he had removed the ignition barrel so the key was only used to open doors- which is sensible.... have just bought some more 2016 batteries for the fob... let me know how you get on.

It is really frustrating, the car runs brilliantly but will not turn on...

Mine's also P reg. How do you switch the central locking on and off? By taking out a fuse? If I have to do that every time to start the car I'd rather do that then scrap it lol

aruizmoya Jun 8th, 2019 14:03

No answer after pressing 5 times

[QUOTE=carl4u44;591314]Yes you can reprogramme your fob.

In this point of your process:

"Enter Diagnostic Test Mode 5 by pressing the button five times for about half a second each time."

I tried to do this in my V440 1995 19TD and no any led answer.
Any suggestion?