Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What did you do to your 850/X70 today??? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250373)

ITSv40 May 20th, 2016 15:57

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

1 Attachment(s)
I'm fairly new on this forum, having recently bought the C70, however, I have been on the Classic S/V40 forum for some time and must say find everyone very helpful.

One popular thread on the X40 forum is as the title above. Instead of everyone posting 'I have a problem, how do I solve it' it is more like an old fashioned 'chat down the pub' where folks catch up with what others have been doing. Anyway I will kick off and see how it goes. No rules, just what ever you have done to your car, from a complete engine rebuild to changing a bulb.

Fitted new Volvo plugs, fuel filter and changed the oil and filter. Although the car has full service history - 52,000mls - I do not know for sure what has been done so starting with the basics and going from there. Air cleaner and pollen filter were clean and good, although there was a veritable birds nest of rubbish under the scuttle panel, so all vacuumed and cleaned out like new.

phatboy130 May 20th, 2016 22:58

Fitted new front right brake calliper, and new cold air feed pipe, just missed the rain too ☺

happy diver May 20th, 2016 23:06

Made sure both screws that hold the maf to the airbox were in place

volvoid May 21st, 2016 09:32

Nothing !!!!

almost never need to do anything :)

Toplights May 21st, 2016 09:53

Bottom main hose,need to do the rear exhast camshaft oil seal,thank god its the easy one lol.

Stumo May 21st, 2016 10:47

Removed vacuum lines from air box, used a long bolt and a nut to close off hot air intake to box. Sadly looked at the split in the drivers seat bolster. Tried several wreckers (breakers yards) for a XC egg crate grill. Looked at carbon canister under offside wheel arch and wondered did I really need it...

byootox May 21st, 2016 17:45

Stripped rear brakes to find back plates rotten and holed where the shoes sit, shoes worn almost right down and inside of discs severely worn.
What I did was pull a face of despair and a few sweary words then had to get the wallet out for the impending onslaught lol.

155V6 May 21st, 2016 17:50

Fitted a steering wheel from a later C70,& set off the SRS light as mentioned in my thread asking for help to reset the light.

Atik May 21st, 2016 18:26

Dyno'd the car, result of a meager 165 horses. Turns out I have no boost thanks to a split pipe at the bottom of the intercooler. Easy fix, but I'll leave it for a sunnier day.

Discovered the weep-hole at the bottom of the intercooler, and after a quick sear, found its not a leak, but in fact designed to be there!

Adjusted the tailgate catch so no more rattles! Also ratchet strapped the spare wheel and jack down as the original strap broke its spring. No more squeaking from there.

More car stuff planned for tomorrow once I get access to a friends ramp!

Richard_TD May 21st, 2016 18:47

Attempted to fix the squeaky aux belt. Removed the tensioner from the broken V70, found that it was broken. Swapped the idler pulley with no change. Took the tensioner of the 850, found the bearing was shot. Used spare idler pulley for tensioner, dropped 8mm allen socket into the engine bay vortex, put everything back together, squeak still present. Curses.

Removed undertray, socket not there. Eventually found socket resting on top of bottom arm, but not before running hand over every oily surface in the engine bay.

My "grain of wheat" bulbs arrived today so I butchered the ashtray and shift light holders. The bulbs are too fat really but they will do until the new slimline ones arrive from China. I've lost the holder for the lighter, which makes me sad, but at least I know what gear I'm in.