Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) Wheels/Tyres : T5 Tyre Pressures (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=28696)

Woody Trebus Dec 12th, 2006 21:24

T5 Tyre Pressures

Hello All,

First post and rather a basic one I'm afraid !!

T5 SE Sport (56 reg) with standard factory fitted wheels/tyres on.

What should the tyre pressures be ??

The tag on the drivers door says Front: 39 Rear: 32

This seems high.

I've posted the question on Pistonheads and the suggestions have been around 32 for front/rear.

I'll re-check the manual and the door tag this weekend.

Any ideas from others. Thanks

Marmoset Dec 13th, 2006 08:26

I set mine at 32 PSI all round on my 2.0D. The pressure chart on the fuel filler flap indicates this unless fully loaded.

Woody Trebus Dec 14th, 2006 04:44

Thanks Marmoset - appreciated.

32 PSI does seem to be the general consensus.

I'll double-check today while I'm at the Dealership as well.

Woody Trebus Dec 16th, 2006 20:42

Yes, 32 all round is the advice from the Dealer.

The 39 PSI (front) is if you are doing over 100 mph on a regular basis !!
Now while the A465 is nice and reasonably straight, the amount of Scamera vans on this road would soon see me off the road.

Adjusted the tyre pressures to 32 PSI all round and checked the spare wheel.
The wheels on the car are 18s - the spare in the boot is a 16 ??
If I get a puncture, I can only go 50mph (big sticker on the spare wheel telling me) - presumably straight to the nearest garage.

While I didn't expect to get an alloy in the boot, I would have thought the tyre should be the same size as the others - No ?!?

IC Dec 16th, 2006 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody Trebus (Post 180689)
Yes, 32 all round is the advice from the Dealer.

The 39 PSI (front) is if you are doing over 100 mph on a regular basis !!
Now while the A465 is nice and reasonably straight, the amount of Scamera vans on this road would soon see me off the road.

Adjusted the tyre pressures to 32 PSI all round and checked the spare wheel.
The wheels on the car are 18s - the spare in the boot is a 16 ??
If I get a puncture, I can only go 50mph (big sticker on the spare wheel telling me) - presumably straight to the nearest garage.

While I didn't expect to get an alloy in the boot, I would have thought the tyre should be the same size as the others - No ?!?

Hi, the rolling radius of a 17" Comet alloy and the steel spare is the same on the Classic V70. I assume that it'll be the same for your car - the actual width from the centre of the alloy to the outside of the tyre should be the same if you measure both the spare and the alloy - anybody want to comment on this?

IC Dec 16th, 2006 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by IC (Post 180691)
Hi, the rolling radius of a 17" Comet alloy and the steel spare is the same on the Classic V70. I assume that it'll be the same for your car - the actual width from the centre of the alloy to the outside of the tyre should be the same if you measure both the spare and the alloy - anybody want to comment on this?

Mind you I don't know about a spacesaver - surely the tyre will be thinner, however the rolling radius will be the same? Never looked at a spacesaver!

callyuk Dec 16th, 2006 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by IC (Post 180695)
Mind you I don't know about a spacesaver - surely the tyre will be thinner, however the rolling radius will be the same? Never looked at a spacesaver!

yea you are right spacesaver tyres are thiner but outer edge is still the same size they are only for emergcery use and never to go over 50mph on them whatever you do dont use these as a normal spare to get around on untill you have money to fix your other tyre as it is illegal to run on unless you are going straight to the NEAREST tyre shop

STE-MAL Dec 16th, 2006 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by IC (Post 180695)

Spot on Iain. The rolling radius is the same. It's the width and speed rating that is different.

It's not really a space saver. It's a wheel saver. Every car made saves one wheel. Ever four cars made saves a set of wheels.

Just my opinion!

Woody Trebus Dec 16th, 2006 21:58

Thanks Guys for the info - appreciated.

Had visions of going off down the road sort of lop-sided with one wheel shorter/smaller than the others !!

cm2k Dec 22nd, 2006 11:17

My T5 SE Sport I set them to 32 all round :Banane32: