Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   460 swap to vr6 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=238535)

Ali valvo Oct 21st, 2015 23:59

460 swap to vr6

Hi every body
Im a new member
I got a 460 1991 gle with renault engine
Could i swap the engine to vw mk3 vr6 engine or not
I just need 300 hp on the weel so i decide to swap the engine and put turbo @7 psi
Howver any idea if i could swap it or not
And pls any idea how to get 300 hp on this amazing car
Love you all

Anadinolin Oct 22nd, 2015 08:58

You can put anything in it if you have the money and the gumption.

How do you imagine doing It? You may need to weld or cut out some bits in the engine bay....its not going to be a very easy job. You will also need to change the gearbox and the wiring loom to match the engine you put in. You can run your own ecu or use the vr6 ecu. Lots to consider

Im currently putting a Renault megane r26 engine in mine expecting it to bolt in...not quite.

Then you also have to consider making the wheels Larger for better brakes, better grip/traction which means changing the hubs to something else or

Ali valvo Oct 22nd, 2015 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anadinolin (Post 1998467)
You can put anything in it if you have the money and the gumption.

How do you imagine doing It? You may need to weld or cut out some bits in the engine bay....its not going to be a very easy job. You will also need to change the gearbox and the wiring loom to match the engine you put in. You can run your own ecu or use the vr6 ecu. Lots to consider

Im currently putting a Renault megane r26 engine in mine expecting it to bolt in...not quite.

Then you also have to consider making the wheels Larger for better brakes, better grip/traction which means changing the hubs to something else or

How much it will cost
And how to get 300 hp in easy way

360beast Oct 22nd, 2015 14:52

Why not fit a Volvo T5 engine?

A VR6 does sound like an interesting swap but would be very nose heavy which is one of the reason I went for an ABF not a VR6 in my mk2 golf.

Ali valvo Oct 22nd, 2015 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 1998577)
Why not fit a Volvo T5 engine?

A VR6 does sound like an interesting swap but would be very nose heavy which is one of the reason I went for an ABF not a VR6 in my mk2 golf.

Thanks alot
Do you think it will fit porfect or not
Is it easy to swap
And price of the engine
Do you think vr6 will fit or not

doingitsideways Oct 23rd, 2015 00:34

I think it will be a very tight squeeze and cost a hell of a lot of money.

The VR6 engine is lovely, but expensive to tune.

Personally, I would go for a Volvo T4 swap. 300 bhp is possible without spending silly money, and it's a lot lighter too.

360beast Oct 24th, 2015 07:24

I'm not too sure if it would fit, having a look at some pics it looks like it would. It is quite a short motor but very wide due to the pattern of the pistons so you may end up with it having to be mounted quote far forward resulting in a very nose heavy car.

The engines themselves aren't very expensive and cheaper if you bought a mk3 golf donor and sold the rest of the bits off you don't need.

You would probably have to go for custom management and a lot of fabrication work to get it to fit and all run properly and then turboing it too would be extra money, so it definitely won't be a cheap and easy swap overall.

I would stick to a 4 or 5 cylinder volvo engine.

Ali valvo Oct 26th, 2015 15:02

How much it cost to swap it to t 4 valvo engine

360beast Oct 27th, 2015 06:00

Don't know, ask Moose Almighty

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179179

volvoid Oct 27th, 2015 10:22

why not buy a turbo- version of a 400 series and modify from there. It ill be a much easier and cheaper project.
I cant see the front wheels handling 300 horsepower, you can easily soup up to the point of making the car unuseable.

Please dont over-rev and loon around on roads near me, have yer accident somewhere else