Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Events and Meetings (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Suffolk: Orwell crossing monthly meet. Suffolk/Essex. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=256241)

STE-MAL Sep 11th, 2016 15:08

Orwell crossing monthly meet. Suffolk/Essex.

As many people know the Suffolk and Essex section of the Volvo owners club have been meeting at the Orwell crossing Lorry park for nine years now. We have had a meet every second Sunday ever since three Ipswich lads decided it would be a good place to get some photographs of three R-line cars together. The first meet was on the 8-7-2007. We have had many, many great meets and I personally have made many, many great friends.

As we are all told all good things have to come to an end. Well sadly the Lorry park has been sold and is no longer a restaurant. We had the final meet there today (11-9-2016).
We moved on at dinnertime to beacon hill services to discuss where we will meet in October. We had lunch at the little chef, which I personally thought was very good.

Basically next month we are going to meet at the Rose in Shotley. IP9 1NL.

It looks like we may well move around a bit before we settle down anywhere permanent. After each meet I will be posting the location of the next months meet in this section.

Or you can contact Dave Barker or myself. Dave's contact details are in driver, he is the Suffolk and Essex section secretary.
To contact me email i-roll@live.co.uk

I'd like to thank everyone who has attended the crossing over the years, this is not the end of the section it's just the venue that's going to change.

I look forward to seeing all the regulars and hopefully some new faces in the years to come.

Steve Malkin.

Essexboydave Sep 13th, 2016 10:03

Sorry I couldn't make the meeting Sunday but I'm away in Cornwall at the mo but I will be at the October meeting, what time will you be meeting there?
Even though I no longer have a Volvo I've enjoyed the meetings so much over the years I will definitely carry on attending I'll just be in a Jeep Cherokee instead as I never could find a suitable replacement for the 760!

STE-MAL Sep 14th, 2016 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essexboydave (Post 2166708)
Sorry I couldn't make the meeting Sunday but I'm away in Cornwall at the mo but I will be at the October meeting, what time will you be meeting there?
Even though I no longer have a Volvo I've enjoyed the meetings so much over the years I will definitely carry on attending I'll just be in a Jeep Cherokee instead as I never could find a suitable replacement for the 760!

From 10:30am. Look forward to seeing you there.

V50scoobS70 Sep 15th, 2016 18:03

Wasn't it fitting to have a 262C turn up at the last Truckstop meet Steve?
I'm still dribbling lol
Regards Andy

STE-MAL Sep 16th, 2016 19:09

1 Attachment(s)
It most certainly was Andy!!

KerPLoD Sep 16th, 2016 19:22

Definitely want to join in on this. Had a 240 for the last year - been putting it through a lot of restoration - still a work in progress but oh well.

That 262C looks fantastic - what are the wheels on it? They look brilliant.

V50scoobS70 Sep 17th, 2016 20:51

Hi mate.
They are Penta alloys and are 15's.
When I first saw it turn up I thought they were Compomotives.
By all means come along for a natter and bring some piccies of the 240 with you
Regards Andy

KerPLoD Sep 18th, 2016 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by V50scoobS70 (Post 2168453)
Hi mate.
They are Penta alloys and are 15's.
When I first saw it turn up I thought they were Compomotives.
By all means come along for a natter and bring some piccies of the 240 with you
Regards Andy

I should be able to bring the 240 - it's driveable (just!) - it's just nowhere near finished. When I bought it the bodywork was in a really bad way - mostly rotten. Engine was the only good part, despite nearly 200k miles.

If by some chance I'm not in that, I'll be in a riced up little Corsa :D

V50scoobS70 Sep 18th, 2016 17:20

At the end of the day mate its got a Volvo badge on it so it has every right to park next to an immaculate one whatever its condition.We aren't anything like the TR club or any of the snooty brigade.
We just all share a love of the marque.:thumbs_up:
Regards Andy

KerPLoD Sep 18th, 2016 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by V50scoobS70 (Post 2168739)
At the end of the day mate its got a Volvo badge on it so it has every right to park next to an immaculate one whatever its condition.We aren't anything like the TR club or any of the snooty brigade.
We just all share a love of the marque.:thumbs_up:
Regards Andy

Sounds like my kind of meet. Looking forward to it.

Griffithsbilly8 Sep 19th, 2016 00:30

I may have to come along to this one day when I'm off nights in the v40

V50scoobS70 Sep 19th, 2016 19:23

The more the merrier mate.
You will be made most welcome.
Regards Andy

NewVolvo Sep 19th, 2016 22:04

Have lots of nice memories from our meets at Orwell truck stop. Hoping to coincide one of my trips to UK with the meets, sooner rather than later!

Although it wont be in the 780!

Essexboydave Sep 19th, 2016 22:12

KerPLod when I first went it was in a 740 rat estate and if they made me welcome then anyone's welcome ;)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps99b95fd3.jpg

AndysR Sep 19th, 2016 23:31

Damn! Missed the last Orwell meet, will have to keep an eye open for updates as to where the next meet locations will be so I can still come along and say hi :)

Acme Sep 20th, 2016 10:28

I will have to get myself round to coming to a meet soon. I've been a long time forum lurker but never done the social side. Always gave the excuse that I would wait until I had a motor but then I didn't show when I had my 740. Now I have a 240 so should really make an effort.

I'm not about for October though, typically, so will try for November..

KerPLoD Sep 20th, 2016 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essexboydave (Post 2169412)
KerPLod when I first went it was in a 740 rat estate and if they made me welcome then anyone's welcome ;)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps99b95fd3.jpg

Nice car! Looks better than my 240 did when I first got hold of it in all fairness!

Essexboydave Sep 20th, 2016 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by KerPLoD (Post 2169975)
Nice car! Looks better than my 240 did when I first got hold of it in all fairness!

Sadly gone to the big car park in the sky now, shame as it was one of the most fun cars I ever had as well as being one of the cheapest!

KerPLoD Sep 21st, 2016 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essexboydave (Post 2169989)
Sadly gone to the big car park in the sky now, shame as it was one of the most fun cars I ever had as well as being one of the cheapest!

Don't I know it! Considering the abuse mine had, the mileage and the age (and the lack of ANY service history whatsoever), it's done pretty well mechanically in the year I've had it. Few problems recently with fuse no. 6 blowing a lot (think it's the in-tank fuel pump causing it), but other than that, not bad. Insurance is the same as my 1 litre Vauxhall Corsa as well, which isn't bad considering I'm 21 years old.

We'll ignore the fact that I've spent thousands on bodywork repairs...

Shame to hear yours is no longer with us. It's why I bought mine. The other buyer was going to banger race it, so I rescued it. I figured after the life it's had, some TLC wouldn't go amiss.

There is actually a silver 1991 740 for sale where I work. 120,000 miles. Saloon. 2 litre petrol (might have the same B200F as mine actually). Immaculate interior. Needs a few bits and bobs done - 4 tyres, new battery, missing a filler cap and a hub cap, and it's been sat there for 4 years. Full service history and 1 owner prior to that. Trouble is my pirate of an employer wants about a grand for it.

Bigstu1975 Sep 22nd, 2016 19:17

Hi guys, I'd be interested in popping along to the next meet as I'm not far away (nr Colchester)
Any idea on a date yet? Cos I do shift work I only get every other weekend off!

Essexboydave Sep 24th, 2016 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstu1975 (Post 2170819)
Hi guys, I'd be interested in popping along to the next meet as I'm not far away (nr Colchester)
Any idea on a date yet? Cos I do shift work I only get every other weekend off!

It's always on the second Sunday of the month :)

Essexboydave Sep 24th, 2016 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by KerPLoD (Post 2170374)
Don't I know it! Considering the abuse mine had, the mileage and the age (and the lack of ANY service history whatsoever), it's done pretty well mechanically in the year I've had it. Few problems recently with fuse no. 6 blowing a lot (think it's the in-tank fuel pump causing it), but other than that, not bad. Insurance is the same as my 1 litre Vauxhall Corsa as well, which isn't bad considering I'm 21 years old.

We'll ignore the fact that I've spent thousands on bodywork repairs...

Shame to hear yours is no longer with us. It's why I bought mine. The other buyer was going to banger race it, so I rescued it. I figured after the life it's had, some TLC wouldn't go amiss.

There is actually a silver 1991 740 for sale where I work. 120,000 miles. Saloon. 2 litre petrol (might have the same B200F as mine actually). Immaculate interior. Needs a few bits and bobs done - 4 tyres, new battery, missing a filler cap and a hub cap, and it's been sat there for 4 years. Full service history and 1 owner prior to that. Trouble is my pirate of an employer wants about a grand for it.

That's way out of my price range now mate as I've bought a Jeep to play around with, cheers for the info though :) Your No6 fuse issue might be down to a blocked fuel filter which you should find under the car about half way between the tank and the engine, they do need changing regularly and be aware they only fit one way round!

KerPLoD Sep 24th, 2016 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essexboydave (Post 2171431)
That's way out of my price range now mate as I've bought a Jeep to play around with, cheers for the info though :) Your No6 fuse issue might be down to a blocked fuel filter which you should find under the car about half way between the tank and the engine, they do need changing regularly and be aware they only fit one way round!

I thought that was the second fuel pump?

Bigstu1975 Sep 24th, 2016 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essexboydave (Post 2171427)

Thanks mate, can't do October but November should be ok! Do I have to check on here for updates or have you a Facebook page or something??

Essexboydave Sep 25th, 2016 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by KerPLoD (Post 2171533)
I thought that was the second fuel pump?

Maybe your car doesn't have the filter there then, on mine it was like a silver canister tbh I never even knew I had one until it was up on the ramp once and someone pointed it out to me!

Essexboydave Sep 25th, 2016 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstu1975 (Post 2171599)
Thanks mate, can't do October but November should be ok! Do I have to check on here for updates or have you a Facebook page or something??

As far as I know it's only on here.

KerPLoD Oct 1st, 2016 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essexboydave (Post 2171826)
Maybe your car doesn't have the filter there then, on mine it was like a silver canister tbh I never even knew I had one until it was up on the ramp once and someone pointed it out to me!

Turns out there's 2 pumps. One inside the tank which I replaced (utter pain in the nuts, and in the process the sender stopped working) and the other runs under the car. The fuel filter on mine is attached to the in-tank pump, and looks a bit like a kazoo. Yes I did just write that.

As it stands the 240 may not make it to the October meet, so if I turn up I'll more than likely be in a riced up little Vauxhall yoghurt pot on wheels.

DickyB V70R Oct 2nd, 2016 10:04

Will try my best to make the meet at the Rose....not been to one for years !

Be good to catch up...we used to have some cracking meets.

Dicky.

STE-MAL Oct 9th, 2016 16:36

Well, that was a very successful meet at the Rose in shotley today.

Thank you to all those who attended, and a huge thank you to the landlady, landlord and the chef who made us all very welcome. The food was fantastic and very well priced. The dinning area is large and the landlady even let us rearrange the furniture to accommodate the amount of people who attended.

Due to this great success we have made the decision to meet at the Rose again next month. This meet will be from 11am on Sunday 13th of November.

Hope to see you all again in November.

TheGreek Oct 9th, 2016 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essexboydave (Post 2171427)

So next one is 13th of November? I will try to join as I am based in Colchester.

EWAC Oct 10th, 2016 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by STE-MAL (Post 2178552)
Well, that was a very successful meet at the Rose in shotley today.

Thank you to all those who attended, and a huge thank you to the landlady, landlord and the chef who made us all very welcome. The food was fantastic and very well priced. The dinning area is large and the landlady even let us rearrange the furniture to accommodate the amount of people who attended.

Due to this great success we have made the decision to meet at the Rose again next month. This meet will be from 11am on Sunday 13th of November.

Hope to see you all again in November.

Was a good venue with great people, cars and comedy :)
Hope to be there again next month!

EWAC Oct 10th, 2016 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreek (Post 2178683)
So next one is 13th of November? I will try to join as I am based in Colchester.

Yes, 13th November.

for benefit of anyone that's not aware of its location

The Rose Inn, The Street, Shotley, Ipswich,IP9 1NL, From 11 onwards.

STE-MAL Nov 15th, 2016 08:40

Yet another successful meet at the Rose in Shotley, Suffolk.

Next month for our Christmas meet we have decided to go to the Ipswich Hotel Copdock. The post code is IP8 3JD.

We will be meeting from 10:00 this month. This is slightly earlier than usual, this is because we have a time window for dinner. We will be sitting down about 11:30 for 12:00. This is because the hotel have another dinner party booked for the afternoon.

The hotel have requested numbers, we already have about 15. If you do wish to attend would you be kind enough to let Dave Barker know.

Dave's contact details can be found in driver. He is the Suffolk and Essex section secretary of the club.

Hotel web site link. http://www.cameohotels.com/

Essexboydave Dec 11th, 2016 15:53

Excellent meeting today, good turnout and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, Merry Christmas to all :)

STE-MAL Dec 12th, 2016 19:14

A Very successfull Christmas meal at the Ipswich Hotel, Copdock.

Next month we will be meeting and the Bungalow Diner, Marks Tey, Colchester, CO6 1EB

2nd Sunday as usual, which is the 8th

http://www.bungalowdiner.co.uk/

STE-MAL Jan 5th, 2017 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by STE-MAL (Post 2207884)
A Very successfull Christmas meal at the Ipswich Hotel, Copdock.

Next month we will be meeting and the Bungalow Diner, Marks Tey, Colchester, CO6 1EB

2nd Sunday as usual, which is the 8th

http://www.bungalowdiner.co.uk/

Due to a double booking this meet has now moved to the Rose at Shotley.

We have been told we wouldn't be able to eat until 3pm so we have decided to move back to the Rose for this meet.

Sorry about the late information but we didn't find out until today.

Please spread the word so all attending will know.

Ian C is passing the Bungalow diner on his way and has been good enough to offer to pop into the diner to see if anyone who is not aware has turned up there.

Hope to see you all on Sunday at the Rose.

Essexboydave Jan 6th, 2017 13:14

Cheers for that mate, I'll see you at the Rose :)

Essexboydave Jan 19th, 2017 16:28

Anyone know where the next meet will be?

STE-MAL Jan 29th, 2017 00:06

The next Suffolk and Essex meet will be held at The Cricketers, Spring Lane, Fordham Heath, Colchester, CO3 9TG.

Hope to see all you regulars and maybe a few new faces.

This meet is on Sunday the 12th of February.

AndysR Jan 29th, 2017 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by STE-MAL (Post 2228282)
The next Suffolk and Essex meet will be held at The Cricketers, Spring Lane, Fordham Heath, Colchester, CO3 9TG.

Hope to see all you regulars and maybe a few new faces.

This meet is on Sunday the 12th of February.

You found it ok then, should be a good venue for it, unfortunately I'm away that weekend, but I aim to get to a few this year so will keep an eye out for how you all get on there.