Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Events and Meetings (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Volvo UK World Record Attempt March 2019 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285437)

stephenevans99 Aug 19th, 2018 09:23

Volvo UK World Record Attempt March 2019

1 Attachment(s)
Volvo Guinness World Record Attempt - 31st March 2019

600 VOLVOS NEEDED....Read On

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1536134494

The current Guinness World Record for the largest parade of Volvo cars is 570 and was achieved by Volvo Forum in association with Auto Boss (Poland) in Katowice, Poland on September 2010. The parade started on the border between Katowice and Chorzow and ended along the dual carriageway in Katowice. People travelled from Germany, Norway and Slovakia to witness the attempt.

Our sights are firmly fixed on beating this World Record and we need your help....

Classic Car Weekly reports:

A Volvo Facebook group wants to smash the current world record for the most Volvos travelling over a measured mile - and needs your help.

VolvoTuning.Net (VT) has been in touch with the Volvo Owners Club, Volvo Enthusiasts' Club & Volvo Owners' Scotland to break the record of 570 Volvos in convoy, set eight years ago in Poland. The attempt is open to any classic or current Volvo owner, regardless of club membership.

News of VolvoTuning.Net's bid, submitted to Guinness World Records, has stirred several American Volvo clubs into action. Stuart Mills, group admin, says: 'We must beat the Americans. Any breakdowns on the day and we'll get out and push, strictly to Guinness regulations, you understand!'

Stuart remains confident that at least 600 cars could be made available for a record attempt next year. A tentative date is set for Sunday 31st March 2019.

The venue for this World Record attempt is presently undecided although Bruntinthorpe & Rockingham have been suggested amongst many others.

Sunday 31st March 2019 is currently the day you need to mark on your calendar...cancel everything else. UK Volvo Community Needs You.

Will post updates as they arrive.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...M/DSC05449.jpg

Dippydog Aug 19th, 2018 12:16

If it's not too much further away than Northamptonshire and I still have the V70 I'd be up for this.But regardless I hope they break the record.Meanwhile is there any news of one of their big gatherings this year?

stephenevans99 Aug 19th, 2018 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippydog (Post 2438966)
If it's not too much further away than Northamptonshire and I still have the V70 I'd be up for this.But regardless I hope they break the record.Meanwhile is there any news of one of their big gatherings this year?

It would be great to see you there. With regards to any larger meets, this years VT Meets calendar has been upset with the loss of one of the founder members. There are some smaller meets still in the pipeline for the remainder of this year, but 2019 will see the return of the larger national events.

Dippydog Aug 19th, 2018 12:41

Sorry to hear of their loss and entirely understandable that it's knocked things sideways for them.

reefy88 Aug 19th, 2018 12:52

Uk world record

I will definitely be up for this. When and where?

Triple-S Aug 19th, 2018 13:22

Ditto and might well be the only Volvo 164 entering (?). Then again, if the brakes still haven't been sorted I might have to use my Volvo 145.

P

stephenevans99 Aug 19th, 2018 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefy88 (Post 2438980)
I will definitely be up for this. When and where?

Sunday 21st April 2019. The venue has yet to be decided. Will confirm hopefully before too long.

Dippydog Aug 19th, 2018 18:28

Shall keep my eye on this thread-for the reminder-although the date should be easy to remember as it's my sons birthday[it'll be his 40th:speechless-smiley-5]but there'll be no clash of interests as he lives just outside San Francisco so I'll hardly be popping round for a party:rolleyes: As an aside April 21st is also the birthday Of H.M. Queen Elizabeth.

wrinkles Aug 19th, 2018 19:07

I am up for it as long as it not hundreds of miles away Northamptonshire is ok with me:regular_smile:

migrator Aug 22nd, 2018 07:46

migrator, Mrs Mig, raymondo and might persuade 360dood to get along for this. That would be four motors for the group.

skippyfox Aug 22nd, 2018 16:31

Count me in for this one, should be a laugh, Date pencilled in on next years wall planner:teeth_smile:

240T Aug 24th, 2018 22:05

If you need contacts for Bruntingthorpe, let me know, I know a few involved with the Cold War Jet days. Could be up for this - might even go as far as offering aerial photography from an aircraft, cost/time depending.

stephenevans99 Aug 26th, 2018 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240T (Post 2441090)
If you need contacts for Bruntingthorpe, let me know, I know a few involved with the Cold War Jet days. Could be up for this - might even go as far as offering aerial photography from an aircraft, cost/time depending.

Cheers, that sounds great. I believe Millsy is in touch with Bruntingthorpe as it seems to be a hot favourite for the attempt - ticking all the boxes with regards to location and size. Will keep you posted.

Carlsson 986 Aug 26th, 2018 13:14

Yes - up for this too!

The VT event at Rockingham was fantastic but it was bloomin' perishing!

Ric

ITSv40 Aug 26th, 2018 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsson 986 (Post 2441495)
Yes - up for this too!

The VT event at Rockingham was fantastic but it was bloomin' perishing!

Ric

Yes, echo the above. I will be there no matter where.

Mal.C Aug 26th, 2018 16:40

600+ Volvos

Would be up for this, although it may clash with drive-it day, I'm down to organise our local club run, so it may be difficult to get out of it.

buzzman Aug 27th, 2018 17:34

Would be up for this with my brother, could bring a car each.

zmsk10 Aug 27th, 2018 19:22

Another couple of venues that you could consider are Elvington Airfield outside York (it's where The Hamster had his big land speed attempt crash for Top Gear) and is next door to The Yorkshire Air Museum.

Someone else has mentioned Bruntingthorpe which I was also going to suggest as it would also be ideal.

There is also an airfield outside Stafford that is used for supercar experiences (i'm one of their instructors) that could be ideal and inexpensive.

bolter Aug 27th, 2018 20:47

First post - I'm up for this. S60R

SandyVol Aug 27th, 2018 21:19

As I'm based in York, Elvington as mentioned would be ideal haha!

However as the Midlands is the middle of the country (go figure) distance is pretty fair across the board.

Dippydog Aug 28th, 2018 18:49

Although I knew where Rockingham was I wasn't certain of Bruntingthorpe so I looked it up and there's not exactly a million miles between the two so either of those is do-able,yes Elvington is closer for me too but as has been said a venue in the Midlands rather fairer to at least most.

stephenevans99 Sep 1st, 2018 09:27

We now have confirmation of Venue and Date and will hopefully be making the Official announcement this weekend....sadly the date has changed due to availability at the venue. Updates soon.....

stephenevans99 Sep 1st, 2018 14:13

WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT 2019

Max Millsy and VT Admins are proud to announce the Official Date & Venue for the 2019 World Record Attempt of 600 Volvos.

SUNDAY 31st MARCH 2019......BRUNTINGTHORPE 🏁🏁🏁

Cancel all foreign holidays, birthdays & wedding arrangements....Sunday 31st March 2019 is the Official Date when the Volvo Community Needs You !!

The Venue is Bruntingthorpe... boasting a Runway of 3000m, or 1.86 Miles in old money....perfect to get 600 rolling Volvos to break the current World Record.

Bruntingthorpe is centrally located just south of Leicester and conveniently just off the M1...allowing easy access from all corners of the Country.

With just 7 Months to go until the World Record Attempt, we need you to spread the word, share with friends and colleagues, convince neighbours to buy a Volvo and have Sunday 31st March burnt to memory.

#VOLVO600

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...R%20DOUBLE.png

buzzman Sep 1st, 2018 15:52

Date still good for Brother and myself. You'll have to V60's for a start :)
A guy I work with showed interest when I mentioned to him last week too. He's the kind of guy up for this kind of thing, plus he's recently switched to Volvo and loving his S60. Hopefully date will be good for him.

More details i'm sure are to come from those organising, will there be some kind of entry form process for those planning to come?

Dippydog Sep 1st, 2018 16:34

Venue and date now noted on pad on freezer door.Fingers crossed for attending this but whether yay or nay I hope the record can be broken.

migrator Sep 1st, 2018 18:36

Mig's mob still coming even with the date change. Hoping to take the 960 Royal, S90 (original type), 960 estate and 480. Work required om all four but if not done then the four current road cars will be there.

March 29 - mig's last day at work.
March 30 - mig hits three score plus ten.
March 31 - we all celebrate.

stephenevans99 Sep 1st, 2018 19:37

We've set up a dedicated Facebook page for the event. It's an Open group, anyone with Facebook can view the posts and updates, click Join in order to post.

Here's the Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1371927366275040/

Of course not everyone has Facebook, so updates will still be posted on the forums including this page.

It's going to be a superb day and we can only thank you for your help and support.

Bonefishblues Sep 1st, 2018 20:29

What is happening on the day, in addition to the record attempt, can I ask?

DaveatVolvo Sep 2nd, 2018 10:10

Assistance

I may be able to help with a few things! DM me. Dave :regular_smile:

DaveatVolvo Sep 2nd, 2018 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenevans99 (Post 2443679)
We've set up a dedicated Facebook page for the event. It's an Open group, anyone with Facebook can view the posts and updates, click Join in order to post.

Here's the Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1371927366275040/

Of course not everyone has Facebook, so updates will still be posted on the forums including this page.

It's going to be a superb day and we can only thank you for your help and support.

Turns out im not allowed to DM yet!! Hope you dont mind but ive sent you a Facebook messenger message.

cadaron Sep 3rd, 2018 16:07

game on

This may be old news but just discovered we have some competition "across the pond" as they put it;

https://www.swedespeed.com/news/Volv...-world-record/

Spread the word people!

stephenevans99 Sep 3rd, 2018 19:19

Yep....I think the USA World Record Attempt is brilliant, a nice bit of friendly competition. We wish them the best of luck and look forward to seeing what they can achieve. Volvo Love.

But obviously we do things much better lol

cadaron Sep 3rd, 2018 23:30

Hopefully the fact that volvos in Britain have less distance to travel to the venue is a positive, but the cost of fuel compared to US is a negative. Gonna be interesting to watch.

jonnyf90 Sep 4th, 2018 11:26

This could be in the arse-end of absolutely of nowhere and I'd still make the effort :D

Count me in!!

Cheers

dave c59 Oct 11th, 2018 16:33

Me and my youngest will be coming down from Lancaster (that's "Oop north" for all you southerners). Should be interesting getting all the cars into Bruntingthorpe.
Over a thousand cars promised now I hear. :shocked:

JTheDoc Oct 17th, 2018 07:57

Count this new 2month old Volvo S40 2.0D 2008 driver in! :D

Any additional news about the event yet?

Simmy Oct 17th, 2018 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTheDoc (Post 2458248)
Count this new 2month old Volvo S40 2.0D 2008 driver in! :D

Any additional news about the event yet?

go to the volvotuneing facebook site they are running the event:regular_smile:

Welton Oct 18th, 2018 08:00

Bruntingthorpe is no more than 15 minutes from me, it'd be rude not to join in.

Do we just turn up on the day or sign up to something? sorry I don't have Facebook.

360beast Oct 18th, 2018 19:20

Is it bruntingthorpe events on Google maps?

If so then I should be able to make it in the 940.

readview Oct 22nd, 2018 13:24

I will be there with the S80,am also trying to get as many of our customers to attend as possible too so should hopefully arrive mob handed!