Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   the 200 series in tv and film..a bit of fun..i hope! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=78275)

honestjoe Aug 12th, 2009 23:11

the 200 series in tv and film..a bit of fun..i hope!

Hi everyone..I"m hoping this is ok to post and i"m not digging up an old thread..but i"m a big film fan and its funny that when you own a particular motor you recognise the shape when seen if only for a second if it appears on the box or in film..I seem to see them being used for spectacular disaster movies getting flung into the air or crushed by giant monster feet!!..its outrageous!!..they have been owned by tv detectives..mediums..even serial killers..(it was a black one and of course ended up upside down in flames!!)..how many times have you seen them in film and which film or tv programme?...it can be the 200 or the traditonal brick shape..there are so many different ones...I will kick things off with..frost having a blue 240 and a brief film career in con air when a person falls from a plane trashing i think a gold volvo?..here goes nothing!!..cheers hj...ps i remember " the cars the star"..and enjoyed the 200 series one even before i owned one.

minesa240x3 Aug 13th, 2009 01:41

Hi Joe I see them popping up all the time and now even my daughters spot them,films adverts everywhere.
Jonathan creek,the detective series had an old one can't quite remember which model but it was an estate?
Regards Brian.

Volan245 Aug 13th, 2009 07:47

Volvo's on TV

Michael J Fox is mad keen on Volvo's, if you watch his movies there is a good chance he will be in a Volvo if he's driving a car.

radiomark Aug 13th, 2009 09:16

1408 when the writer drives to the beach to surf.a blue 240 is parked outside a house

Clifford Pope Aug 13th, 2009 13:15

There was a film where Trevor Howard played a Swedish police inspector, investigating a murder by a very cunning lunatic who managed to break out of his prison and get back in again undetected.

Lots of scenes of him driving a 240 saloon through snow.

PTJS Aug 13th, 2009 17:12

Lovejoy had a yellow 240 estate IIRC. Now there was a series....

Phil

James A Aug 13th, 2009 18:31

David Jason drove a light blue A-reg 240DL estate in later episodes of A Touch of Frost :)

James A Aug 13th, 2009 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by minesa240x3 (Post 545728)
Hi Joe I see them popping up all the time and now even my daughters spot them,films adverts everywhere.
Jonathan creek,the detective series had an old one can't quite remember which model but it was an estate?
Regards Brian.

It was a red DL estate registered B912 JUY, if I recall correctly. Caroline Quentin who played Maddie Magellan in the series (the car's owner) apparently hated it and called it 'that bloody Volvo' in interviews. I wonder if it's still around?

Paul240480 Aug 14th, 2009 17:01

How about The Good Life? Margo & Jerry had a 'brick' est, yellow! Not sure if it was a 1 or 2 series tho'?

redboy Aug 14th, 2009 18:37

In Beetlegeuse, the 'ghosts' died by crashing a mid '70s yellow 245 through a bridge into a river. Fit the bill perfectly- in 1980s America, Volvos were the cars of liberal professor types who were too considerate and nice to drive BMW's.
Also, in 3rd rock from the sun, Jane Curtain (a professor) drove a late 240 saloon.