Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Warning , S40/V40 4 cylinder petrol owners. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=59430)

Clan Oct 7th, 2008 20:25

Warning , S40/V40 4 cylinder petrol owners.

In the last 6 weeks i have seen 2 engines wrecked by the lower radiator hose leaking coolant .
The cause is the hose clip around the lower radiator hose on the radiator end , the clip goes rusty and breaks , the pressure in the system ( 20 + psi ) will then blow the hose off and your coolant is gone in a matter of a couple of seconds . If this happens on the motorway which is more likely due to the higher rpm and hence pressure , you barely have time to pull over and stop before any damage occurs .
I would advise anybody with a S/V40 4 cylinder petrol engine to check their lower radiator hose clips / Best fit a new one anyway , a better quality stainless steel one as fitted as standard on the Swedish cars .... get a top hose clip for say a S60 T5 or something ...

This is not only applicable to older 1997 cars but ALL of them , one of the cars i saw was a 2003 .....
So it seems we have a nasty problem developing here
Check those hose clips .......

scottishvolvo Oct 7th, 2008 20:28

Thanks for the info. Job for the not too distant future. Nice timing with the info as well, anti-freeze replacement time.

twilightflyer Oct 7th, 2008 20:35

thanks for that one , I for one will be renewing mine if not all the clips.

Baffler Oct 7th, 2008 20:48

Cheers Clan...

This was on my to do list anyway but thanks all the same for the warning.

stevo48 Oct 7th, 2008 20:56

thanks for the warning, will be checking/replacing mine tomorrow.

4 forty Oct 8th, 2008 11:49

diesel

so i gather this is not applicable to the diesel s40.

Kerry_T-5R Oct 8th, 2008 13:23

Adding to that...

If you own an S40 T4 or 2.0T check the water feed / return hoses on the turbo next time the car is on a ramp because the extreme heat causes them to break down / perish and the coolent will escape in a similar way!

Kerry

Rufe Oct 8th, 2008 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 412102)

Best fit a new one anyway , a better quality stainless steel one as fitted as standard on the Swedish cars .... get a top hose clip for say a S60 T5 or something ...

Hi clan. After reading your post I just checked and there is actually a modified part number for the lower radiator hose on the S/V40 model. The S60 T5 hoses have a similar but different part number, so its probably best to go with a modified S40 version.

One of these modified hose clips is £2.84 including vat and including Royal Mail 1st class recorded delivery, so if anyone wants one let me know. I can get them in stock and posted out to you the same day if ordered by 1pm [Part number is 988028]

Simon

scottishvolvo Oct 8th, 2008 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufe (Post 412331)
Hi clan. After reading your post I just checked and there is actually a modified part number for the lower radiator hose on the S/V40 model. The S60 T5 hoses have a similar but different part number, so its probably best to go with a modified S40 version.

One of these modified hose clips is £2.84 including vat and including Royal Mail 1st class recorded delivery, so if anyone wants one let me know. I can get them in stock and posted out to you the same day if ordered by 1pm [Part number is 988028]

Simon

This is exactly the reason that it is great to have some-one like Simon on this forum.

manoman48 Oct 8th, 2008 22:50

i own a '98 T4 so guess this applies to me. Can the clips be replaced without having to drop the coolant?