Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   XC90: Most Unreliable Car (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309084)

Robbie34 Aug 19th, 2020 13:18

Most Unreliable Car

I see from today's Which? that the Volvo XC 90 is the most unreliable car. Which? goes on to say that premium make car are the least reliable.

Honda, Lexus and Toyota are the most reliable models.

EssexExile Aug 19th, 2020 14:29

I wouldn't trust a Which? report any further than I could throw a Which? reporter.

The Thong Aug 19th, 2020 19:14

I have to agree. If you look at some of the car of the year awards, some of the recommendations have turned out to be iffy motors. I usually go on the Honest John site if I’m looking up a motor purchase.

TT

Kev0607 Aug 19th, 2020 21:00

Lexus usually are at the top for reliability & have been for years, so that's correct & I don't think there's any disputing that.

As for the XC90 being the most unreliable vehicle, I don't believe that at all. There's plenty of other SUV's that are far worse reliability wise.

Bashy Aug 20th, 2020 03:38

Normally land rover / range rover that has a poor rep, wonder why its now Volvo?

Note that the survey is on about 50k+ people and the cars they use, its not really a big survey, they should gets the stats from the break down companies, including the Makers own rescue, doubt they would provide the info though lol

biggbn Aug 20th, 2020 19:34

I can easily believe that. Lots of toys, bells and whistles to break in Volvo's incessant attempt to surpass ze Jonases. I wish they would go back to making high quality, relatively simple, well engineered cars, but then, marketing execs and school run queens wouldn't buy them. Oh, and nor would our domestic Joneses.

S60RDesign Aug 20th, 2020 20:09

The new XC90 always seems to have had a poor reliability reputation. Maybe it's not that the car will leave you stranded but related to the toys - cars have gone well over the top in that sense - who needs lane keeping, road sign reading, alertness monitoring etc

biggbn Aug 20th, 2020 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60RDesign (Post 2657942)
The new XC90 always seems to have had a poor reliability reputation. Maybe it's not that the car will leave you stranded but related to the toys - cars have gone well over the top in that sense - who needs lane keeping, road sign reading, alertness monitoring etc

...all xc90 have had problems, even the old dears. Id love one but could not/would not chance it.

capt jack Aug 20th, 2020 21:07

Which? reports are highly suspect in my experience. We bought NextBase dashcams on their recommendation, which promptly failed with a known battery life problem a month out of warranty. I also bought a John Deere petrol lawnmower because it came out on top in Which?. A few months old and it had to have a new carburettor. "Oh we've had lots like that" said the nice man at the dealer, "these new plastic-bodied carbs are rubbish". Presumably he was happy because he sold me an expensive mower, and then got paid by John Deere to fit a new carburettor under warranty.

Our Which? subscription got cancelled years ago.

Jack

biggbn Aug 20th, 2020 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt jack (Post 2657978)
Which? reports are highly suspect in my experience. We bought NextBase dashcams on their recommendation, which promptly failed with a known battery life problem a month out of warranty. I also bought a John Deere petrol lawnmower because it came out on top in Which?. A few months old and it had to have a new carburettor. "Oh we've had lots like that" said the nice man at the dealer, "these new plastic-bodied carbs are rubbish". Presumably he was happy because he sold me an expensive mower, and then got paid by John Deere to fit a new carburettor under warranty.

Our Which? subscription got cancelled years ago.

Jack

I would generally agree but the many tales of woe about xc90 volvos lend this one some substance?