Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Geartronic gearbox problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338372)

seventeenapg Feb 25th, 2024 11:37

Geartronic gearbox problem

Hello everyone
I'm in need of some help l just bought a 2004 S60 with the geartronic gearbox. The car runs very well with smooth gear changes in all gears. The issue I have is that it is very difficult to move out of park to another position. The lever will move freely between all other positions. Tbh, I have to pull on the lever with such force to move it I'm afraid of breaking the linkage somewhere. Help much appreciated

VOLVOBOY Feb 25th, 2024 11:54

Hi .

The park release button in the front of the gearknob has probably failed .
It`s a common problem and a fairly simple fix .
You just need to know which button you have ,ie the early type or later .
Look in the search section for more info .
It is possible to unclip the gaiter from the knob and give the gearknob a good firm tug upwards to remove it . That will leave the metal part of the shifter which will move freely through the gear positions . Care must be taken not to shift to Park / Reverse when moving forwards if you decide to still use the car .
It`s much easier to repair the button with the gearknob removed .

seventeenapg Feb 25th, 2024 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY (Post 2937835)
The park release button in the front of the gearknob has probably failed .
It`s a common problem and a fairly simple fix .
You just need to know which button you have ,ie the early type or later .
Look in the search section for more info .
It is possible to unclip the gaiter from the knob and give the gearknob a good firm tug upwards to remove it . That will leave the metal part of the shifter which will move freely through the gear positions . Care must be taken not to shift to Park / Reverse when moving forwards if you decide to still use the car .
It`s much easier to repair the button with the gearknob removed .

Thank you. So, can can remove knob by pulling it up and replace the button, or fix the button?
Also, with this removed do I take it I can drive the car freely but just ensuring I don't push the lever into R or P when I'm driving as the safety mechanisms built in will be gone?

4x4 Feb 25th, 2024 12:25

When you stop the car and move the car into park do you use the handbrake to hold the car or do you just leave the gear lever in park?

The correct procedure is to stop the vehicle, move the gear lever to neutral, apply the handbrake then move the gear lever into the park position. If done this way it does not put any strain on the gearbox park pawl.

seventeenapg Feb 25th, 2024 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4 (Post 2937847)
When you stop the car and move the car into park do you use the handbrake to hold the car or do you just leave the gear lever in park?

The correct procedure is to stop the vehicle, move the gear lever to neutral, apply the handbrake then move the gear lever into the park position. If done this way it does not put any strain on the gearbox park pawl.

Yes, I have another much newer car with auto. I always apply brake first in neutral before moving to park. As mentioned, I've just bought this car so don't know it's history

VOLVOBOY Feb 25th, 2024 15:09

Repair or replace, depending on what you find after removing the button .
You can still drive , the metal shaft operates cables to the pawl on the gearbox housing . The button lifts a square dog in the shifter mechanism (part of the interlock) , that`s all .

seventeenapg Feb 25th, 2024 17:18

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY (Post 2937876)
Repair or replace, depending on what you find after removing the button .
You can still drive , the metal shaft operates cables to the pawl on the gearbox housing . The button lifts a square dog in the shifter mechanism (part of the interlock) , that`s all .

Thank you, I'm trying to lift off the gear knob but it must be very stubborn!! I will keep trying...

MDS40 Feb 25th, 2024 19:31

On the S40 you need to twist the lower knob one way before pulling up on the main knob.
Not sure if its clock or anti clockwise you twist it.

seventeenapg Feb 25th, 2024 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDS40 (Post 2937903)
On the S40 you need to twist the lower knob one way before pulling up on the main knob.
Not sure if its clock or anti clockwise you twist it.

Thank you, I hope you mean the S60 as this is the model I have. I will try this in the morning. Would you know how I fix the button or have into buy a new one?

MDS40 Feb 25th, 2024 19:42

No i was referring to my S40 but the photo looks very similar.
Twist the collar then pull it down before pulling the knob upwards with a firm tug.

Google replacing gear shift blind on s40 and there's a good video on you tube.