Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   ANTI/SKID service ALARM service required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323412)

Mattttt Feb 7th, 2022 16:17

ANTI/SKID service ALARM service required

Volvo v70 2004 D5

Afternoon all, have these two faults, bought a supposedly volvo specfic diag tool off ebay, icarsoft V2.0, it did not read the ABS fault, can't feel any actual issues with the car, spoke with a friend today who has a saab and he had a battery voltage related issue with similar to this, its intermittent, some days no faults, some days unable to get the DTSC on, anyone had any experience with this before? Wouldn't mind so much if it was an ABS sensor and the diag tool read which one, but alas this did not prove a fruitful investment.

Any help much appreciated as ever :-)

stuart bowes Feb 7th, 2022 16:36

find a friendly local with VIDA? only way I know of to get the info you need

from what I've read more often that not it turns out to be the sensor ring on the end of the shaft, not the sensor itself (they rust up underneath, swell, and crack) cheap to replace but takes a few hours to do

if you take out the sensor and look from above with a torch, turn the hub slowly you might see the crack? don't pull it out by the wire, undo the bolt and nudge it with a screwdriver first to loosen

re: alarm service
recently discussed
here
and
here

Mattttt Feb 7th, 2022 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2805869)
find a friendly local with VIDA? only way I know of to get the info you need

from what I've read more often that not it turns out to be the sensor ring on the end of the shaft, not the sensor itself (they rust up underneath, swell, and crack) cheap to replace but takes a few hours to do

if you take out the sensor and look from above with a torch, turn the hub slowly you might see the crack? don't pull it out by the wire, undo the bolt and nudge it with a screwdriver first to loosen

re: alarm service
recently discussed
here
and
here

Hi mate, had the sensors out doing the suspension work, drivers side has a new shaft so wont be that one, i hope!, will check passenger side when it dries up here.

StaffsS60 Feb 7th, 2022 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattttt (Post 2805880)
Hi mate, had the sensors out doing the suspension work, drivers side has a new shaft so wont be that one, i hope!, will check passenger side when it dries up here.

I've found when mine had a new reluctor/ drive shaft on the near side there was also damage to the wheel position sensor caused by the broken ring brushing it. Can't imagine it wouldn't have been replaced but if all else fails worth bearing in mind

Mattttt Feb 7th, 2022 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaffsS60 (Post 2805900)
I've found when mine had a new reluctor/ drive shaft on the near side there was also damage to the wheel position sensor caused by the broken ring brushing it. Can't imagine it wouldn't have been replaced but if all else fails worth bearing in mind

Wheel position sensor and ABS sensor the same thing??

stuart bowes Feb 7th, 2022 18:42

i think so, I'm not aware of any other sensor on the wheel

position sensor/speed sensor, whatever you want to call it, sends signals to the ABS and/or traction control

Familyman 90 Feb 7th, 2022 18:59

A failed sensor would log a fault. A failed reluctor ring is mechanical and will only flag up while its causing a problem, so often won't show a fault hnless the codes are bejng read whilemit is misbehaving.

A V2.0 doesn't have anywhere the functionality of VIDA, but it will read all the same systems so if there is no fault for the V2.0 to read tben VIDA won't fare any better.

Battery problems can cause spurious electrical gremlins on P2's. My '90 was throwing up all sorts of random messages and warnings and it was a sign that the battery was falling to it's knees. Worth doing a drop test, and letting the car sit and monitoring the voltage across 48 hours if you suspect the battery.

Mattttt Feb 7th, 2022 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Familyman 90 (Post 2805907)
A failed sensor would log a fault. A failed reluctor ring is mechanical and will only flag up while its causing a problem, so often won't show a fault hnless the codes are bejng read whilemit is misbehaving.

A V2.0 doesn't have anywhere the functionality of VIDA, but it will read all the same systems so if there is no fault for the V2.0 to read tben VIDA won't fare any better.

Battery problems can cause spurious electrical gremlins on P2's. My '90 was throwing up all sorts of random messages and warnings and it was a sign that the battery was falling to it's knees. Worth doing a drop test, and letting the car sit and monitoring the voltage across 48 hours if you suspect the battery.

All you've said is solid logic so thanks for that, have a brand new battery waiting to go on so see how that fairs, so logically we would say passenger abs ring, damage or dirty i'd say, sound about right?

stuart bowes Feb 7th, 2022 19:23

Battery first, then if still the same check your sensors and rings because it costs nothing to have a look, only an hour of your time taking a wheel off each side (starting the with the side you suspect first obviously)

you can also look for signs of physical damage to the sensor itself as also mentioned above

if that yields no obvious answers at least you havent lost anything

Mattttt Feb 7th, 2022 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2805920)
Battery first, then if still the same check your sensors and rings because it costs nothing to have a look, only an hour of your time taking a wheel off each side (starting the with the side you suspect first obviously)

you can also look for signs of physical damage to the sensor itself as also mentioned above

if that yields no obvious answers at least you havent lost anything

Fingers crossed answers are coming soon