Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   D4 vs D5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314288)

mark2410 Feb 14th, 2021 15:56

D4 vs D5

i know they are said to be the "same" engine but tuned differently but is there actually a difference, physically or are they really, completely identical?

i.e. if they are identical then couldnt the D4 just be remapped to make it a D5?

or have i completely missed something?

VOLVOL0VER Feb 14th, 2021 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 (Post 2709913)
i know they are said to be the "same" engine but tuned differently but is there actually a difference, physically or are they really, completely identical?

i.e. if they are identical then couldnt the D4 just be remapped to make it a D5?

or have i completely missed something?

D5 has powerpulse technology. it reduces Turbo lag. the difference is basically power pumping delivering.

If you go somewhere to remap a D4 they'll tell you, that a stage 1 offers you around 230hp. Reliable horsepower. Torque around 470/480 nm. The D5 has 480nm of torque. So basically you can turn a D4 into a D5 with reliability, with nothing to worry about long term.

The german company called HEICO, that modifies Volvo cars, remaps the D4 with 225 hp and 480 nm of torque. Just an outside example.

But there are some minor differences between the D4 and the D5. Same engine with some different components like the powerpulse technology technology as i wrote above.

BobaRob Feb 14th, 2021 16:55

Don’t forget the AWD on the D5

Zebster Feb 14th, 2021 16:55

It appears that the D4204T11 didn't have PowerPulse, so maybe that version of the D5 could be achieved by remapping a D4? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volv...tecture#Diesel

A while ago I contacted Celtic Tuning about remapping my D4. This was their reply...

Celtic TuningTHE PERFORMANCECeltic TuningCeltic Tuning
The Volvo V60 2010> ECU remap takes the power from 178bhp up to 215bhp and the torque from 295lb/ft up to 335lb/ft.

This stage of software is designed as a software upgrade only meaning it is all within safe tolerances of the engine and drivetrain and requires no hardware modifications.

Celtic TuningCeltic TuningCeltic TuningCeltic TuningCeltic TuningTHE COSTCeltic TuningCeltic Tuning
The cost of the remap is £325.00 all-inclusive for which we travel to your location whether it is home or work place.

With all remaps we offer a 14-day satisfaction guarantee which gives you plenty of time to ensure it is exactly what you are after if not we will revert your car to its original software and fully refund you.

VOLVOL0VER Feb 14th, 2021 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobaRob (Post 2709933)
Don’t forget the AWD on the D5

D4 has also the choice of AWD

Haldex Feb 14th, 2021 21:56

PowerPulse aside, most significant difference is a larger VNT primary turbocharger on the D5 vs. a fixed-vane smaller primary turbo on D4 - resulting in more power and better efficiency throughout the range, quicker spoolup at low rpm, a more efficient EGR treatment etc. PowerPulse just adds pep to an already stronger setup.

Comparing an aftermarket remap of a lesser engine with a higher power, larger turbo OEM setup and calling it reliable power? Engineers in Volvo are probably dumb as f*ck for adding so much complex hardware - whereas they could have just slapped an aftermarket chip and call it a D5.

met24 Feb 14th, 2021 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER (Post 2709945)
D4 has also the choice of AWD

Not in the UK it doesn't, unless you went for a V90CC. The choice here is quite limited compared to the rest of Europe. For a long time you couldn't get a T6 (or B6 petrol as it is now) except as a CC, and even now it's only available as a CC or R-Design.

It's not just Volvo who do this -- the Germans are the same.

VOLVOL0VER Feb 14th, 2021 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haldex (Post 2710018)
PowerPulse aside, most significant difference is a larger VNT primary turbocharger on the D5 vs. a fixed-vane smaller primary turbo on D4 - resulting in more power and better efficiency throughout the range, quicker spoolup at low rpm, a more efficient EGR treatment etc. PowerPulse just adds pep to an already stronger setup.

Comparing an aftermarket remap of a lesser engine with a higher power, larger turbo OEM setup and calling it reliable power? Engineers in Volvo are probably dumb as f*ck for adding so much complex hardware - whereas they could have just slapped an aftermarket chip and call it a D5.

i see your point but even so... it is reliable. 220/230 hp on a D4 it's reliable and torque around 470/480 nm. More than that no.

VOLVOL0VER Feb 14th, 2021 23:03

Talking about reliability... in the other hand... D5 seems to be, even with a stronger setup, a less reliable engine. D4 is a much more reliable engine. And given the problems that the D5 has with PowerPulse... i guess it all comes down to reliability.

coppice Feb 15th, 2021 02:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER (Post 2709931)
D5 has powerpulse technology. it reduces Turbo lag. the difference is basically power pumping delivering.

How much does it reduce the lag in practice? The lag in my V90 D4 can be really annoying.