Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Selecting 1st and reverse gear (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136762)

greatdanes Oct 20th, 2011 22:58

Selecting 1st and reverse gear

I have a V reg. V70, and have problems selecting 1st and reverse gear when the engine is cold, and particularly when the weather is also cold. I gather other people have had the same problem, and wonder if anyone has found the best solution. I am reluctant to take the car to a Volvo garage, as I have experienced their exorbitant charges for unnecessary work. I would appreciate any advice, before I try to find someone to resolve this problem. If I can get the car into 1st gear, and move forward a couple of feet, I can usually select reverse, but it can be quite a struggle. I am also worried I may be doing some damage to the clutch/gear box.

caveman_returns Oct 21st, 2011 00:02

Auto? Manual?
If auto, try changing the atf.

greatdanes Oct 21st, 2011 09:57

Should have said, it is a manual. Do you have any further ideas? Thanks.

caveman_returns Oct 21st, 2011 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatdanes (Post 1008591)
Should have said, it is a manual. Do you have any further ideas? Thanks.

If you post the thread in the v70 section someone may be able to help there.

weble Oct 21st, 2011 13:54

Interested to see the outcome of this one. I have a 2000 S80 that does the same. Always the First Selection of the day, either fwd or reverse it "clunks" in. After that it's fine for the rest of the day.

jantal Nov 27th, 2011 23:30

Hi, seemed to be solved after replacing the lower engine mount. Now all is in the right position and goes as it should. Just started a weird clunking noise probably from transmission :( starts when the car gets warm
CV joints fine, drive shafts checked
How about you?
Jan

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatdanes (Post 1008434)
I have a V reg. V70, and have problems selecting 1st and reverse gear when the engine is cold, and particularly when the weather is also cold. I gather other people have had the same problem, and wonder if anyone has found the best solution. I am reluctant to take the car to a Volvo garage, as I have experienced their exorbitant charges for unnecessary work. I would appreciate any advice, before I try to find someone to resolve this problem. If I can get the car into 1st gear, and move forward a couple of feet, I can usually select reverse, but it can be quite a struggle. I am also worried I may be doing some damage to the clutch/gear box.

Sam226 Feb 26th, 2013 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatdanes (Post 1008434)

Check your gear linkage bar doesn't need to be rotated. My S40 gear linkage bar rotates when selecting reverse gear. Loosen at the frond end of the gear lever bar, knock into neutral and check that gear lever is resting central. Then check that when in 1st gear there is approx 8mm play/movement of the bar. Hope this makes sence and is helpfull!!