Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   V50 Engine Swap (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303469)

RowdyYates Feb 11th, 2020 14:48

V50 Engine Swap

Hi I’m new to Volvo’s and This forum...

I have a 150K mile 2004 2.0D V50 (as of last week) and having drove through some standing water (5 - 6” deep)a few days ago from this Storm Ciara lots of warning lights came on the dash and the V50 came to a stop.
I was really surprised as I’d been through the same standing water only an hour previous in my Mk 1 MX5 with no issues... a bit of research then showed me that the V50’s air intake is fairly low in the f/n/s wheel arch...
The Volvo was recovered and a quick check upon getting home showed my Air filter was wet through ... not good ! ... I’m now waiting for it to be assessed for water in the cylinders and any damage....
The question I have is ... if it comes to the worst and the 2.0D is knackered can it be swapped over for a 2.4D5 engine ?... obviously it’ll fit in the bay but will it mate up to the 6speed box that’s already in the car and if it will swap what other things would need to be considered other than exhaust manifold ?
Has anyone already done this swap ?
Thanks
Lee

Yobbo Feb 20th, 2020 13:30

It won't work, you'll need the ECU, the CEM and all of the modules coding.

Clan Feb 20th, 2020 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowdyYates (Post 2598997)
Hi I’m new to Volvo’s and This forum...

I have a 150K mile 2004 2.0D V50 (as of last week) and having drove through some standing water (5 - 6” deep)a few days ago from this Storm Ciara lots of warning lights came on the dash and the V50 came to a stop.
I was really surprised as I’d been through the same standing water only an hour previous in my Mk 1 MX5 with no issues... a bit of research then showed me that the V50’s air intake is fairly low in the f/n/s wheel arch...
The Volvo was recovered and a quick check upon getting home showed my Air filter was wet through ... not good ! ... I’m now waiting for it to be assessed for water in the cylinders and any damage....
The question I have is ... if it comes to the worst and the 2.0D is knackered can it be swapped over for a 2.4D5 engine ?... obviously it’ll fit in the bay but will it mate up to the 6speed box that’s already in the car and if it will swap what other things would need to be considered other than exhaust manifold ?
Has anyone already done this swap ?
Thanks
Lee

The air intake is at the front on top the radiator , It's the Bow wave which did it , Never Ever drive a volvo through water more than a couple of inches deep it will write off the car , an engine job is getting on for £10000 now .

You should be able to find a good 2.0D engine somewhere from a breakers .

P4 Mar 1st, 2020 07:59

Tbh on a 04 is it really worth the hassle of swapping engines? Much easier to just swap cars.