Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Simcard Slot and Bluetooth (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=232001)

bokabil Jun 24th, 2015 22:19

Simcard Slot and Bluetooth

My XC90 has both Bluetooth and Simcard Slot "built-in"...

I have been using Bluetooth to pair with my phone and this works no problem so never even bothered to insert a simcard into the slot.

However, I do forget my phone from time to time and I can't imagine thinking what if I need to make a call for an emergency. Anyway, so I got myself a pre-paid simcard to be used as backup. To be sure, I tested said simcard on my phone and it works (receive and initiate calls).

So off to the car, when I inserted simcard into the car, nothing seems to happen. I push the "Phone" button and I see the option of "Add phone". When I select this, it tells me to activate bluetooth on the phone so it can be paired which is not what i want to do. It seems that the simcard I inserted is not recognized.

So my question, is bluetooth and simcard-slot supposed to work side-by-side? I did try to "remove" all paired phones to simulate a fresh start but the simcard still was not recognized. How do I even know that the simcard is recognized and ready to use?

Thanks.

Aeron Jun 26th, 2015 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokabil (Post 1936722)
My XC90 has both Bluetooth and Simcard Slot "built-in"...

I have been using Bluetooth to pair with my phone and this works no problem so never even bothered to insert a simcard into the slot.

However, I do forget my phone from time to time and I can't imagine thinking what if I need to make a call for an emergency. Anyway, so I got myself a pre-paid simcard to be used as backup. To be sure, I tested said simcard on my phone and it works (receive and initiate calls).

So off to the car, when I inserted simcard into the car, nothing seems to happen. I push the "Phone" button and I see the option of "Add phone". When I select this, it tells me to activate bluetooth on the phone so it can be paired which is not what i want to do. It seems that the simcard I inserted is not recognized.

So my question, is bluetooth and simcard-slot supposed to work side-by-side? I did try to "remove" all paired phones to simulate a fresh start but the simcard still was not recognized. How do I even know that the simcard is recognized and ready to use?

Thanks.

The inbuilt phone may have been disabled by the dealer. I understand this is possible and some choose to do this when they have bluetooth fitted.

Considered1 Jun 26th, 2015 12:58

How old is your car and does it have Volvo on Call - that gives you a sim card slot in the glove box but its for data only.

bokabil Jun 26th, 2015 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeron (Post 1937472)
The inbuilt phone may have been disabled by the dealer. I understand this is possible and some choose to do this when they have bluetooth fitted.

I'll get in touch with my dealer to see if they disabled it. Thanks.

bokabil Jun 26th, 2015 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Considered1 (Post 1937475)
How old is your car and does it have Volvo on Call - that gives you a sim card slot in the glove box but its for data only.

It's MY2014.

I don't have Volvo On-Call. It was an option that I decided not to add.

bokabil Jun 27th, 2015 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokabil (Post 1937519)
I'll get in touch with my dealer to see if they disabled it. Thanks.

Ok, so my dealer tells me that the simcard function is activated in my car. I tried again today but I still cannot call the simcard.

I would expect that I simply need to insert a simcard into the holder and it will work without further buttons to press. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Anyway, its not an urgent issue and hopefully will be sorted in the next service.

Funky Diver Jun 27th, 2015 21:50

The network your trying to use is either a 900 or 1800 GSM network with corresponding SIM as that may be what is fitted to your car?

Chesney46 Jun 28th, 2015 12:03

I stuck an O2 sim card in mine (MY2003) and it works fine. However, after about a month it needed topping up even though I hardly use it.
Can be tricky though as my screen isn't working, takes a bit of guess work to dial a number correctly!

Funky Diver Jun 28th, 2015 12:23

Same here... I've had O2, Vodafone, Orange, EE and Sainsbury Mobile SIMs in the car and they all work.

Daft question time... you have tried turning the phone on haven't you? Press and hold the Phone button on the dash and the display should change to Phone. If there is no SIM in the slot you won't be able to get the message off the screen until you either insert one or turn the phone back off again.

bokabil Jun 29th, 2015 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky Diver (Post 1938157)
The network your trying to use is either a 900 or 1800 GSM network with corresponding SIM as that may be what is fitted to your car?

I can't find in my car manual which GSM network it is set to...

In any case, I bought both the car and simcard locally so I expect them to work together as they were marketed for the local market I'm in..